Thomas Crown Nart Spyder in Octane 191 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Thomas Crown Nart Spyder in Octane 191

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gt4me, Mar 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    True but they were already downsizing and were not doing that well when they sold. Another car collector business part owner was taking market share, the Waltons.

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Getting back on topic...
    In Modena, brand new, during a photoshoot in a city park before it was shipped across the pond to the new world...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

nschots, gt4me, Lusso123 and 6 others like this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Looks like the trunk(boot) is open.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Actually the Orto Botanico di Modena, the botanical gardens in the city of Modena, located next to the Garden Ducale at Viale Caduti in Guerra 127 in Modena. The beautiful building Vigarani Palace is also part of it.
    This location was often used for photoshoots with new Ferraris, in the 1950s to the 1970s. Other locations for photoshoots in Modena were the Aerautodromo and also the Municipal Building in the square of Maranello.
    Here's another pic of 09437.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

nschots, F1tommy, of2worlds and 5 others like this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for that Marcel,

Maserati also used the park with la Pallazzina Vigarani as background very often in those days.

MS

375+ likes this.
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #56 miurasv, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Is it known if 09437 was taken back to bare metal when first colour changed to burgundy from the original pale yellow or just given a blow over?

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Will ask Roger Colson, I have to speak with him in the next few days.

miurasv likes this.
  8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thanks, Marc.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    My copy of Octane finally arrived yesterday. That is a wonderful article Marc, I feel the same way about the NART Spyder. I vividly recall as a boy buying that issue of Road & Track at an airport newsstand, probably read that copy cover to cover dozens of times. The following year I bought the Fitzgerald and Merritt book with savings from my paper route. That was the start of my journey which brings me here today.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #60 Nembo1777, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Thank you very much 375+, nowadays unfortunately in this increasingly shallow twitter world article lengths are restricted, I am supposed to give 2000 words but actually do 2500 which is alas the maximum. In the past I have written 12000 word articles so it is quite restrictive and I am struggling with my last of three 9/2018 US trip articles which I have to deliver next month in deciding what gets left out... However I am very grateful to Octane for the opportunities and the article will become an enhanced, longer more in depth text along with more photos in a future book chapter.

I know how you feel I first read that R & T article in one of those Brooklands softbacks...I read it many times too:)! The Fitzgerald and Merritt books were very good for their time in earmarking most if not all of the one offs that are so alluring like Nembo spyder 1777GT and the "Fellini Fantuzzi" holy grails on Borranis....

Best regards,

Marc

11. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Rookie

Jan 22, 2010
    #61 Hans Castorp, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    I for one very much enjoy reading your well researched and knowledgable pieces in Octane Magazine. They are highlights in what basically is a magazine heading downhill a bit in terms of quality. I think they made the wrong decision in cutting article length and depth and they might want to give authors like you and John Barker more space. :)

of2worlds likes this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you Hans you made my day this Sunday.

I am having lunch in London in ten days with editor in chief James Elliott and will show him your comment so he pushes it "upstairs"

The most important of my three USA 9/2018 trip articles will be out in two or three months though the car - a major icon never ever driven by any writer- does not have a cavallo on the nose but a Trident.

All the best,

Marc

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Still waiting for Octane 191. Issue 190 with the purple Countach showed up this week...

14. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Rookie

Jan 22, 2010
    Marc, very much looking forward to the next articles :)

James Elliot, yes, many years ago he was editor-in-chief of Classic & Sportscar and I remember him writing about his own cars: A Triumph saloon, which was rotten and constantly braking down, and a Jensen Interceptor, which was also rotten and constantly braking down. Now in Octane he's still writing about these two cars and it appears they are still rotten... :D

I fully understand printed media is under pressure. But they still have authors who are more knowledgable than most social media influencer guys and I think they should built on that strength and give the authors space for telling interesting stories.

of2worlds and Lusso123 like this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Hans,

Yes James loves his Jensen:)

I am a traditionalist always preferring to read printed quality content as there is too much nonsense and erroneous data online, poorly edited or not edited at all .

All the best,

Marc

16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    And most of the printed media articles is usually done by actual journalists, not merely glorified bloggers who like to copy, paste and rearrange information; and said information has incorrect data at most of the time.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Steven Roger replied today he is pretty sure it was just a "blowover" paintjob burgundy atop light yellow.

of2worlds and miurasv like this.
  19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #69 miurasv, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Thank you, Marc. Presumably it got a bare metal repaint during its restoration overseen by Al Roberts around 1985 as stated in your excellent Octane article? Has it been restored since and what condition is it in today?

of2worlds likes this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Steve, to answer your new set of questions:

No doubt it got a bare metal paint job during Al Robert's restoration.

Don't believe so -looked just right very slightly patinated- other than maintenance albeit limited as it has lived a sheltered concours life (who is going to go to the supermarket in a gazillion $ car?...alas)

Absolutely excellent apart of rear suspension bushings a bit worn consequently the rear was trailering a bit in constant radius corners depending on throttle on or off.

Off to London this whole coming week Tuesday dawn to Saturday afternoon, hope to meet a few Ferraristi and Maseratisti! Free Tuesday, Saturday morning.

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you, Marc.

Jakuzzi and Nembo1777 like this.
  22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Joe C. is Lawrence A's nephew I believe. The greatest of the NART Spyders. Denise and Pinky Rollo almost won Sebring? Hmmmmm.

miurasv and readplays like this.
  24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    17th overall. 2nd in class, whatever class that was.

375+ likes this.
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Formerly Powder Puff ;) but that hasn't been PC for quite some time.

miurasv likes this.