F12 tdf vs 812 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F12 tdf vs 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Eilig, Feb 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Edited cut and paste of a private conversation I am having with another member:

New formula to build and/ or maintain status:
    - Always have a mid-engined v8 and GT (812 or Port) in your garage.
    - 1 'vintage' car. 25 years or older.
    - 1 race car. ex-challenge.
    - attend any Ferrari events Ferrari invites you to. Attend dealer events.
    - Hold your cars for 24 months before selling. 6 month and sell no longer applies.
    - Use Ferrari financial to finance and hold the loan for at least 6 months.
    - Attend Ferrari races...sign up for VIP event.
    - Show you, Ferrari, whenever.

and this:

It does appear that the new Ferrari has tossed the old rule book out...

Consider that NEW to Ferrari buyers can get an F8 or a Portofino...2-3 years ago they would have been forced to get a 'bridge car' ie used to be considered for a new one.

Last year at Casa Di Ferrari I ran into a guy who had a ton of Ferraris. (Not hard to meet guys like that at Ferrari NA event.)
    He owned all the LEs and then some.
    Interesting takeaways:
    1) Even at his level, he has to buy one of each production car to keep his priority status. In other words, 1 488, then a Spider, A Lusso, 812, Port etc.
    2) ALL his cars are TM.
    3) If Ferrari asks you to display one of your cars, do it.
    4) He said that if he were to sell ANY of his hard to get cars before the required time to hold expired he would be out.
    and this last bit was the most interesting,...
    5) Net-net he thinks he is merely par with all the money he has spent. The losses on the production cars (remember he TMs) equals the money he may make when selling etc.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    One big piece you are missing is (I believe) owning an ff or lusso. Thats been a big filter for every car since laf and I understand theyre asking monza buyers to take a lusso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LARRYH and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Great insight.

4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    a pre-owned Lusso makes for a stellar car....

I was told 3 times that you need to have a GT car...Lusso and/ or Port.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Not sure buying a preowned one checks the box. They want you to feel maximum pain

rockitman, LARRYH and 09Scuderia like this.
  6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    That would explain why I was offered a Pista allocation when picking up my wife's Lusso........
    Rejected it, since I have no easy access to any track, little time and that car is useless to me otherwise.
    Buying it to flip it is not my cup of tea either.

Solid State and LARRYH like this.
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    interesting -outside of the lusso purchase where wld you say you rank given some of the factors in post 26?

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    consistent with my experience - i wld clarify wrt to point 5 - thats if you dont actually drive the cars. if you actually put miles on the Limited Editions then there is no way you break even....ie getting LEs and driving them is a complete wash as if you never owned the car and if you drive them alot then you really just bucket the LEs into the normal production bend over and close your eyes category.

Ivinsea and 09Scuderia like this.
  9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    No where near the elite that gets the really special cars (Icona, LaF, 599 Aperta, etc).
    Ordered new 9 cars since 2007 (first new Ferrari for me , a 599GTB), the best I ever got was 599GTO.
    I have driven them all, put from 3k miles to 12k miles (Scud), bought for enjoyment as a second car beside my daily driver.
    Unfortunately, I don't have the space to collect and keep more then that at the same time, "fun" car uses the last available space in my garage.
    In a hiatus at the moment (only wife's Lusso), just my daily driver (B. Supersports), would love the new 812 Spider if I can get it.
    Dealer says it's possible so will see......

of2worlds likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thats certainly a good enough run to be offered a pista.

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I think Mark said he turned down the Pista offer as they had a Lusso coming before it became for same a Pista allocation requirement!
    I agree though the 812 spider is one to strive for if you are a convertible guy! 1973 is a long time since the last V12 production spyder...

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I bought a Scud back in 2008 because I was blown away by that car at Mt Tremblant Ferrari Avanzato.
    Kept it for a year as a daily driver (12k miles) but I would not do it again, too rough in Chicago and I'm 10 years older, need more comfort for my weary bones.....
    That was the main reason I didn't want a Pista.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    There is also the GT car coming with a beautiful 'classic' design style that Ferrari has promised to. Said to be easier on the eyes and other parts to.;)

14. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I would imagine a Scud is quite raw for a daily - sounds pretty damn cool tho. Why'd you sell your 599GTO ? That's a bucket list car for me.

MDS

15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Replacement for Scud, was to be used the same way but I quickly realized I just couldn't do it anymore.
    If I could keep it as just one of many cars it would be a different story but I don't, only a daily and one additional for fun are realistic in my situation and space available.
    Traded the car back to dealer, with 2k miles got all my $$ back and still kept me in good graces with them.
    Could collect a premium but that was unacceptable for me since we know each other for a long time and it would not look good for me.

KenU likes this.
  16. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Selling my 812 and buying another TdF at fair market value.

I have said it in a similarly titled thread, for my passionate driving enjoyment, there is no front engine 12 like the TdF. It is a raw and fun luxury car with character and presence. The instant throttle feel is like the Speciale. The handling and road dynamics feel like a much lighter car.

I do not want to denigrate the 812. I put over 4,000 miles on it and it is an excellent car. But it is no TdF.

Most of us who have one or the other are defending our choice and have good reason. So, just for me, I can say the TdF is phenomenal. I absolutely love that car.

My collection skews strongly toward more aggressive cars. I found the 720 boring, for example.

LVP488, of2worlds, Bas and 5 others like this.
  17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i think you will be able to find a higher mile tdf for sticker if you are patient. ive contemplated doing this.

18. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    At what mileage do you think it will bring the price down to sticker? 10k?

19. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    30k?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Even though most tdf were loaded with expensive options (making the sticker price significantly higher than the official base price) I think there is still some margin to reach that level; currently in Europe you could apparently get a TdF (with a few thousands miles, there are virtually no high mileage TdF) for about EUR 800K - purchase price for these cars could be anywhere between EUR 450K and EUR 600K IMHO (official entry price was about EUR 350K IIRC, but I guess no one bought a "base" TdF).

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #46 ttforcefed, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Yeh 12 to 15k miles for sure
    This one had 4k and sold in the 7s back when things were still stronger
    View attachment 2694995

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    IIRC, that one had some front damage, factory repaired it, but, still, a 'slight story car' that worked against it...

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    right but fast forward 9 months and quadruple the miles

25. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Here's one:

56,000km +

of2worlds likes this.