612 Puddle Light | FerrariChat

612 Puddle Light

Discussion in '612/599' started by clonmeliw, Apr 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    OK, so the 612 has a new trick. Without any trauma or discernible cause, the passenger side puddle lamp on the underside of the mirror housing has taken to randomly popping out while driving where it dangles by its wires and bounces off the door skin. There are no visibly broken hooks, snaps, clips, etc. on the plastic fixture and to all appearances it is the original part. It readily pops back into place until the next time I drive it. Have any of you experienced this and, if so, what did you do to remedy it?

2. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Duct tape?

Seriously, I have the same problem on both sides now. I need to buy some new ones.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Happened to me once when I folded the mirrors in electronically. (Up until that point I didn’t even know they did that!) it just spontaneously popped out. After I clipped it back in though, it’s stayed in ever since.

Maybe the wires are getting in the way somehow when you clip it in?

4. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    How do you fold the mirrors in electrically? Not sure I have located that functionality either! Thanks

5. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    turn the mirror adjustment knob all the way so that the indicator is aiming straight down

6. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Wow! Thanks... just like the firs generation Porsche Cayenne then

7. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Be really, really careful with the mirror adjustment knob. The first week I had my car I turned the mirrors in every time I parked. Within one week the knob broke off. It has a plastic shaft and easily breaks. If this happens you have to replace the whole headlight and mirror switch assembly. You cannot even buy the mirror switch separately. This is an $1800 item. So I dont turn my mirrors in any more.

8. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Thanks for the warning... I actually don’t have a wing mirror adjustment switch right now for the same reason... the previous owner must have snapped it off because of the friable and delicate plastic. Living without it for now, which includes having the mirrors in the open position... but do need to find a replacement unit.. £575 or thereabouts in the UK

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That's very unfortunate. Do you think you could have had someone fabricate a metal shaft and get it to connect to both ends that the original one uses rather than replacing it with the same plastic unit? Better than factory (at least the concept).

10. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    I was thinking the exact same thing. If not a shaft then a screw without the head after it's been "screwed" into the cap that falls off.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That's not a bad idea. I'd use a small screw. File down what is left of the plastic shift (both ends). Screw the threaded end into the underside of the cap. Use the screw's head as a flat surface area to put an adhesive and put it down to where it should meet up with the other side...

If any future owner asks what it's about tell them MacGyver used to own the car. :)

12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    It was a number of years ago so i dont remember exactly. But i remember trying for several weeks to find solutions myself which involved taking the entire switch apart. I ultimately could not find a satisfactory solution and actually got the part shipped to me in the US from a wrecker in the UK for about the price 599 GTO suggested.