HLV or Luppi? | FerrariChat

HLV or Luppi?

Discussion in '206/246' started by racerboy9, Dec 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a spare set of Dino seats I was thinking of having refurbished. Luppi did a set of Daytona style seats for me years ago but it was the more common dull/matte leather that seems prevalent these days. Ted Rutland had a 308 GT4 with an interior that looked fantastic with the correct sheen and was also done by Luppi years ago. Has anyone had their seats done by HLV? Price and quality?

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Neither of them.
    Go to Tappezzeria/Interni MAIELI, located near Mantova, Italy.
    Really the best, super nice people, reliable and trustworthy and very knowledgeable. They have done some of the rarest and very best Ferraris on the planet.

Andrea & Stefania Maieli
    Interni Auto Maieli
    Via Francesco Baracca 3
    I-46048 Canedole di Roverbella
    (Mantova)
    Italy
    Tel ++39 0376 695 105
    Fax ++39 0376 695 300
    [email protected]
    www.interniautomaieli.com

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and UroTrash like this.
  3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I have found that Luppi has the name but I have never seen anything come from them that is really 'correct'. There is always something off however they do have the correct heat press vinyl for the Dino interiors.

HVL has very good quality materials but I have never looked at any of their work so I cannot judge. I suspect their work is very good but being a one man shop the prices are very high and the timelines are long.

I cannot comment on Marcel's recommendation but judging by the source I would be very encouraged to give them a try. Always learning of new sources in this game :)

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Month ago I emailed Luppi asking if he speaks enough English for a call. He responded and I did chat with him. He was going to send me leather samples. Despite multiple follow ups on my part, he never did and never responded. Hard to do business with someone like that.

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #5 pshoejberg, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    If you don't want to risk paying "silly" money you need to spend some time researching and gather some quotes and hold up the economy against quality and originality. I ended up buying carpets, edge binding, roof lining, mousehair, white vinyl and rubber pads from Henk (HVL), Connolly leather from UK hide, black vinyl from Luppi and got it all sewn together at Luppi. Luppi has most of the old patterns for our cars and a couple of skilled seamstress, but they are not always good to respond via emails like so many other companies in the Ferrari trade. Remember to buy new foam for your seats if the old is tired, it makes a world of difference for comfort.

Good luck

Peter

6. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I pretty much did the same as Peter except had everything sewn locally.
    Luppi supplied all my vinyl including the seat covers which is were well made, fit good and good advice from Peter on the foam, get new stuff. If your trimmer can shape the foam I’d do that rather than buy the online molded foam as it’s expensive and my trimmer ended up cutting it all anyway.

synchro likes this.
  7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #7 synchro, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Tom Shaugnessy had a batch of Daytona inserts fab'ed up that he deemed correct. I used his trimmer in Orange County, CA to do the work (as a way to get the inserts). He is super busy, took twice as long with starting delays but well worth the wait. For my patience he cut me a discount, cost was well under $3K USD cash.
    They are the black ones in the photos set next to my old Tan set for a side-by-side comparison.
    I was extremely happy and respect Tom for the favorable reference and appreciate the kind use of his own resources.
    (Suprisingly I saw that just the materials from Superformance UK are more expensive http://www.superformance.co.uk/246/fittings.html ).

PM sent, are you still at [email protected] ? emails not responded to

Attached Files:

8. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a set of black NOS Daytona inserts in the original leather but I was thinking about reworking my spare set in the standard look but with more original style leather. Pete at Westminster has done my Dino dashes and has my Stratos dash at the moment. I would let him take a whack at it if I could find the correct leather. My email is the same. Send me an email and I will double check if it's hitting my spam box.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yep, you got it, Pete did the work on those black seats and he sourced the leather. My focus was getting correct Daytona Inserts.
    Funny thing, I left a stellar 5 star review on Yelp with photos of a 275GTB4, PF spider, Dino, etc that were in his shop for work and within a few months the whole review was wiped so I just figure it was a sensitive thing rather than a "need" for reviews.

email sent

10. Sal Manzur

Sal Manzur Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    Pete don’t Dino’s interior about 10
    Years Ago and still looking great

11. Sal Manzur

Sal Manzur Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur

12. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Synchro
    I sent you a PM ( start a conversation )
    JNK

synchro likes this.
  13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow, look at what they can do!
    I think this is the place to source those early "Dino Beach Chair" inserts
    https://www.interniautomaieli.com/trunk/gal_default_3_ferrari-365-gtc4-1-.jpg

14. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I had a set of beach chair seat insert covers made a few years ago Scott using various photo's of originals that Shawn and Matthias posted on here as a guide. The front uses the same towelling material as the factory cloth inserts option with a Dino vinyl edging trim and a grey rear backing fabric over a foam insert. The ribbed stitching pattern also replicated the cloth seat insert option. I had a set made in orange for one of my cars and offered to have more sets made if anyone was interested. The only one to take up the offer was Shawn so it seems both he and I were only ones interested in them. The trimmer who made them for me has since retired.

I think the originals probably never took off as an accessory because the method of securing them is the same as that using by the Sebring tonneau cover for the GTS i.e. metal inserts inside Dino vinyl tabs that were supposed to be bent into place to secure them to the seat cushion. This doesn't work very well, especially at the front of the cushion, and they slide around on the seat. They look good when the car is static though.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

synchro likes this.
  15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I wouldn't use HVL, rude and expensive. My interior came from Luppi and was first class in both workmanship and 100% accurate to the original beige vinyl. The Daytona inserts were exact. Slow but worth the wait.
    Tony

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    See post #2.

Marcel Massini

synchro likes this.
  17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Marcel
    Didn't know they existed, my car isn't quite in the super rare Ferrari stable unfortunately, do they supply materials only? I had no complaints whatsoever with Luppi and the final result was 1st class!

Kind Regards

Tony

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    All the contact details are listed.
    Super good people. Forget all the others.
    Even if you have just a Mondial 8 they will be able to help. Nothing to do with "supercars" or "super rare Ferraris".

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Next time!