Thinking of buying a 456M | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying a 456M

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    thanks rob, I will report my findings.

2. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Well, then every 7 or so years do you have to do an "engine out" and "body out" service?? ;)

Regards
    Jerry

3. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    How did you find it so fast? What was your strategy? Dealer or Private sale......ebay, auction etc. What website did you research?

paulchua likes this.
  4. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I must be almost identical to your thought process.......I have been looking at the 456 for the "next" Ferrari but then my wife gave me the green light just so long that it has an automatic so she can drive it........my mind went to 360, a little younger more refined and then my mechanic commented on how the 355 has a sound of it's own. So now my eye is on a 355 spider with F1 shifter.

As to the previous post I am imagining the sticker said $60k and you walked in with a briefcase of cash and a deal was struck! Crazy how your imagination can run away with things...but seriously, I am interested in the "art of the deal" if you don't mind sharing. Thanks

paulchua likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello JK,

Thank you for your question.

There are 4 sites that I use to find cars
    1) CarGurus.com (I think they are the most comprehensive)
    2) Autotrader.com
    3) Autotempest.com (you can search craigslist listings countrywide)
    4) ebay.com

I create automated searches and you get emails and alerts when your criteria pops up - I recommend this method.

The other thing you need to do is download Hammerprice, it's a free app that always shocked me in that it's 100% free (they don't even have ads!)

It has all the info on auctions.

So I've been looking at cars and the stars aligned when a car that met my criteria and price came along. I called the dealer up and started the conversation.

Hope this helps!

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #31 paulchua, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Hi JK,

Yes, we do share the same circumstances! SWMBO "she who must be obeyed" gave me the green light as well. I sincerely feel the F355 is the best car to get now for the current price level. It's crazy to me that it's the 2nd lowest priced Ferrari now* (just behind the Mondial).

I changed my mind because I do enjoy taking my kids in the car, and the Mondial t gives me enough raw sportiness. I live in a pretty dense area, so having more speed won't be usable, what good is all the power in the world if can't actually use it every time I take the car out? I liken it to buying an 8K TV when you only can 4K content, why pay the extra money?

The 456 to me is the perfect compromise, of course, I prefer a 6-speed, but the price for a manual is more then I am comfortable paying. I figure when the next recession hits, these cars may drop to 35K-39K?, so I thought to pay 45K is not bad right now. If I had to sell, my losses would be based on repairs and maintenance, which as strange as this sounds - I find rewarding in its own right.

Cheers and best wishes!

P.S. The 456 community thus far has been very welcoming and helpful!!!!

*F355 F1

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Just to clarify 2nd lowest when you get the F1, although sometimes you get lucky, it used to be the 348s, but those are slowly going up. I really believe Doug De Muro may be a market maker. He bashes the 355 quite a bit, and was positive about the 348.

8. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Paul,
    Thank you for the reply and insight........I will explore the websites you suggested. I too enjoy taking the kids out in the Ferrari. Sounds like we are cut from the same cloth.

I love your wife approval stamp! SWMBO But I have to say, there's nothing like having a Ferrari in the garage and a wife who approves and doesn't resent it! Its a win win!

Happy driving your new Ferrari 456,
    John

killer58 and paulchua like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank you for your kind words, John. I agree that we are indeed blessed lot. I suspect the 456 will have much sorting, but that's half the fun! I will report here, and still trying to get Doug De Muro to review the Mondial (we've been in the communication), now the 456 and some other cars over here. Hopefully, we can get the stars aligned.

I truly believe Doug will love the Mondial.

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Agree completely.

Although I generally agree with the common advice of “buy the best one you can find”, some flexibility may be advantageous. The M GTA I bough had some needs. There were other cars on the market in better condition, but it was also exactly how I would have spec’ed the car had I bought it new. So I determined the cost to sort it and priced my offer accordingly. Today, I have what to me is a Tailor Made car.

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree with you! Great points!

12. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Congrats on your beautiful 456. My first Mondial, a 3.2, was exactly like your 456. Great combo.

As about my better half, when I first met her she was using her 250 GTE (silver/red interior) as a DD in Paris. She had to part with it shortly afterwards but guess what: no SWMBO issues here! :D

paulchua likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks WilyB for your kind note, 250 GTE (drool...) she has good taste!

Cheers

WilyB likes this.
  14. Larmoss

Larmoss Rookie

Jan 29, 2008
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Just bought this 456M with a 6 speed. I love this car - I own Porsche's hot rods, muscle cars etc - this car is everything. Why they are still cheap, i don't get......they won't stay that way for long. it's everything you want in a Grand Touring car. Good luck..................for the money you could have had a used Porsche......not even close.

ronfrohock, WilyB and paulchua like this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Gorgeous!....and a 6 speed to boot!! Congratulations!

Be sure to check out my new 456mgta.com site - there is a bunch of magazines I put in there already.

Cheers

ronfrohock and WilyB like this.
  16. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Indeed, she married me 38 years ago. ;)

paulchua likes this.
  17. Larmoss

Larmoss Rookie

Jan 29, 2008
    Thanks for the site - and the magazines!!!
    Larry

paulchua likes this.
  18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Speaking of... 25% off for the 456 Newbie! And free shipping as well.

The 1992 Yearbook has a whole section on the 456.
    • Ferrari 456GT 2+2. The Granturismo car of the 1990's (design and presentation)
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146617820/

:D

of2worlds and paulchua like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Take my money! Send me a PM :)

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #45 paulchua, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Just wanted to give a quick update. I'm working on a comprehensive Mondial t vs 456 vs QP 5 report.

But here are some differences
    1) Mondial t is very much what I would call the Late Enzo Era. I like this. You're more connected to the road the experience is more 'raw'.
    2) 456 is definitely a tourer with a sporty side, were the Mondial t is a sports car with a touring side.
    3) The 456 is much heavier and you really feel it vs the Mondial
    4) The engine on the 456 feels very unstressed whereas the Mondial is more highly strung.
    5) More rear room in the back in the 456 for folks (the main reason I got it) but still pretty small, but exactly what I needed for my kids.
    6) Engine note on the V12 is a Baritone, the t is a Tenor
    7) Both handle very well, don't know which is better yet
    8) Steering on the Mondial is a bit superior in my view, though the 456 is easier to manipulate
    9) Brakes are about the same, need to test more
    10) Attention - get positive with both

I'll give more updates, but I can say not one car is 'better' than the other - just different and I think the car that suits me is the one depending on my mood.

Cheers

JLF and ronfrohock like this.
  21. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Enjoy in great health. Good for you!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  22. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    That’s cool. How’s the auto trans are you happy with it?

paulchua likes this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great Question! I can't believe I didn't mention this. So in a nutshell, I think I would have liked the 6-speed more. Now, would I like it 2X+ (cost difference of a 6speed 456M ) more? For me, that's an unambiguous NO. Put it another way, would I rather have one 456M speed or TWO 456M GTAs? No brainer.

Now, I didn't buy this car as an investment, but I may come to regret this in the future (or not*.)

The auto box is smooth and has been said many times, very well suited to the car, and its personality. It comes down to usage. I have a gated manual when that itch comes along, so having the automatic is fine.

I'll talk more about it when I finish my full report!

Cheers

*Only 15% of Americans know how to drive stick, I believe in 20 years time (probably when values have the potential to go up), that number will probably be cut in half at least.

killer58 likes this.
  24. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    +1 !

paulchua likes this.
  25. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    There is a story of an American who hired a car in the uk, it had a manual gearbox. He said the mileage to the gallon was heavy- turned out he was driving around in 2nd gear all the time- must have been a bit noisey on the motorways

paulchua likes this.