Oil pressure rise | FerrariChat

Oil pressure rise

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JLF, Apr 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Hey guys when I start my car I noticed the oil pressure gauge doesn’t start to read for probably close to 3 seconds after I crank the engine. So the engine is turning probably close to 1300 rpms with no oil pressure for a moment, that really bothers me. I looked for a relay that would kill the ignition so I could just crank it until I see an oil pressure rise and then actually start it after that. I could not find a relay that I think would do that.
    Do you know of any way to kill the ignition temporarily?

I saw a product in the for sale ads at Gavarino.com that will pre-oil your engine before you start it but I don’t really want to spend 1300 bucks on it.

Thanks
    Jerry

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The sender tends to give problems, think about changing it or check its connections. Does it show a low reading when it is hot at idle as this is not unusual

3. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I’ll have to check. What do you consider low?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Is the red oil pressure warning light "on" or "off" during those 3 seconds of engine running?

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The needles are known to stick.

Steves is a good question. Does the light go out?

Oil pressure does not lubricate the engine, oil does and there is still oil on the bearings. Our Lamborghini LM002 takes about that long to make oil pressure due to a poorly designed oiling system. You know when oil pressure comes up even without the gauge because you can hear it flowing through the cooler. Been that way its whole life and never been an issue.

paulchua likes this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Pretty typical.

7. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Mine did this. It took a few seconds after starting for the oil pressure to bounce to 70.

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    This happens on both my mondials 85/88. I put it down to a lethargic gauge vs no actual oil pressure. Same way the fuel gauge takes its time to move after being on an incline.

paulchua likes this.
  9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yea I figured it was probably normal. The car had good compression when I bought it so after 42000 miles I’m guessing it’s not a big deal. Still bothers me a little though.

10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I can’t recall but seemingly the light is on and goes out after the oil pressure gauge starts to rise. I’ll have to double check.

Thanks for the input guys.

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I put a one quart accumulator on mine. Plumbed into filter housing. With engine running open valve and accumulator charges. Mine goes up to 75 psi then close valve. When you start next time open valve and let run down to 20psi then close valve. start car and run the rest of the day. While putting it to bed open valve and recharge accumulator then close valve. Repeat every day. Mine is from Moroso and was I think around 150 dollars. sure would have been nice if Ferrari would have remotely mounted it right side up instead of up side down. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I have attributed this to the inverted oil filter although I may be completely off base. If our car has run within a few days I get oil pressure immediately, if it has sat for a few weeks then it takes a few long seconds which I chalk up to oil backing out of the filter check valve. If you are waiting for pressure on every start then maybe change the filter.
    Dave

13. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Cool, good idea. I’ll look into it. Thanks.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Why?. No one has ever suffered shortened engine life from not having one.

Ferrari engines dont get rebuilt because lubricated parts are worn out.

johnk... likes this.
  15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Dont waste your money- if u have to fit one of those are you covering a problem up.

Rifledriver and johnk... like this.
  16. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    What does it hurt?

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Modifications to solve non existent problems are never smart.

Added failure points are an issue at the very least.