Please explain to me a $111,000 355 | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Please explain to me a $111,000 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrari Fanatic, Jan 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Paint work May be hurting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I also graduated high school in '85 too, but I wanted a 328. I could have bought a new 348 when I bought my 328 in the early 90's but I thought that the 348 styling had lost its way.

paulchua likes this.
  3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    #403 sixcarbs, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Ok, I can't believe this thread is still going and that I just got all caught up since the first few days of when it started. I wanted to be current while watching this one close today:

'98, 14K miles, 6-speed, black/black, serviced in 2016.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-ferrari-f355-spider-9/

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    348? Isn't that the car Ferrari almost went bankrupt over? The F355 is the reason why Ferrari is still operating today. F355 owners should be getting 5% royalties for every Ferrari sold since.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    yeah... thats exactly what happend. :rolleyes

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    That's exactly what didn't happen... thank you F355. #neverforget

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I've said it before in this thread, that high-dollar BaT that started this conversation was photographed extremely well.

The 14k '98 wasn't.

It makes a huge difference if you can't inspect the car in person.

Matt

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My GF and I just moved to Belmont Shore in December, so I havent’t been around that long. I’m only there half the time as I have my own place near work in Rancho.

Haven’t seen much exotics around to be honest. Just a few on the weekends on 2nd Street, that’s about it. Beautiful area, but don’t see very many fancy cars at all.

9. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think most people in this conversation are delusional.

Purchase a F355 for the driving enjoyment, not the investment.

The best you could hope to do is break even.

Buy a good driver and forget about concours vehicles.

Deadshort and paulchua like this.
  10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    last two spyder sales 65k and 57k. now what?

sjd

11. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Buy a GTB

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #412 paulchua, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    I completely respect this view, but will say that I think the 348 is beautiful. Always have. Your view sixcarbs is not a small cohort. I've read/heard many people share your views. I fully appreciate it because it's subjective. I just never understood folks that love look of the 355 and hate the look of the 348. A 348 is basically a 355 with no 'graters', they follow the same basic look, and to laymen often can be mistaken as the same car - just like the: (308/328, 360/430, 458/488) - it's similar to folks that say the 430 is beautiful and the 360 trash. Or the 458 is beautiful and 488 is 'ugly.' They are like 90% the same looks wise to the majority of non-Ferrari people.

They sold 9,000 of em, 50% more then the model it replaced. The early 90's doldrums didn't have to do with the 348 not pulling it's weight, and more to do with the 10+ year old Mondial & 9 year old Testarossa, being the other offerings not being able to pull theirs (after being on the market that long, understandably) + 80's hangover in general. The 456 only available in Europe until MY95.

cnpapa24 likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ironically I think the 348 suffered from a lot of 'bad' press - some of it it fair, some of it not. ('the most unstable car at high speed of all time' ring a bell?)

The same sort of over-exaggerated and alarmist reporting we can see today

You know, kind of like how Doug Du Muro probably single handily made a generation believe a 355 is always on the verge of critical failure. I truly believe that's what makes the 355 the best bargain in the Ferrari world today.

Skippr1999, carnutdallas and INRange like this.
  14. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Doug did us zero favors, but he is a Porsche fanboy and now Ford GT owner, so while he loves the 355, the exaggerated review hurts those not in the know.

paulchua likes this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Exactly, I would have no qualms owning either car 348/355, I think both are amazing.

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #416 Ferrarium, Apr 8, 2019
    Here is what happens with me. I saw the video when I was shopping for a 348. I briefly considered a 355. That video claimed a 100% valve train failure rate. Now I knew that could not be true but it spurred me to research more. Lots.

Saw and read enough out here and other places over months that led me to just stick with the 348 which is just simpler.

Right or wrong that's how it went down for me. If others do the same as I did then the sales trajectory may not be as great as the car supposedly is.

Knowing what I know now I "may" have made a different decision, both are so great. It takes time to learn though. First impressions last but can be overcome with more research. It did for me. But with me and 30 days analysis coming in cold no real knowlege, the 355 seemed scary. 348 did not and was my first choice anyhow plus the 348 is better looking. Well the cheese graters at least. :)

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I made decision to only buy 1999’s after I sold my 1996. Granted most cars have had all issues fixed by now, but 99’s give you a touch bit more peace of mind, maybe if only in my own. And $111k ain’t crap. You will see my fully sorted, original 8500 mile rare optioned, Nero Metallica GTB for sale for $169k+ in a few years, hahaha :)

Challenge and BOKE like this.
  18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    if I ever get a 355 I'll put cheese graters on it...lol

sjd

vdettore likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #419 paulchua, Apr 8, 2019
    :)

Just for fun, I took the 355 and 348 side profile and Photoshop out the 4 slats and added the 355 rims.

that's the only changes I made...that's why it always been strange to me that one's a masterpiece and the other one gets flak. It's like if the Mona Lisa had stripes on the shirt - it's all of a sudden terrible.

Attached Files:

JOHNCJ8989 likes this.
  20. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Try the same thing with the rear clip and remove two spark plugs from the 355 and the cars will be pretty close. LOL

vdettore, carnutdallas and G. Pepper like this.
  21. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Below is the Market Trends based on reported sales I believe. I pulled on Havgertys site for the 1990 348ts.
    It shows price have come up over the last 5 years

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I’m just talking purely about about the looks. No question the F355 is faster. I don’t own a 348, so not biased. As I said a few posts above, I don’t understand how people can love the looks of the F355 but absolutely hate the looks of the 348. I respect it though, since it’s subjective.

23. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Hagarty is an insurance company and their valuations involve a rectal aperture that numbers are yanked out of. The only sales numbers you should be concerned with are what you bought your car for and what you will sell it for. Everything else is speculation at best but most likely nothing more than mathematical mental masturbation. These cars won't be truly collectible for another two decades, in the meantime if you have a car and drive it like you stole it.

24. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    10 years ago I could have bought my 348 for $8-10k less. I’d say the Hagerty numbers are a good approximation of the trend.

25. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, those VERY high maintenance bills are definitely the reason why Ferrari is still operational.