Bondurant Racing closed? | FerrariChat

Bondurant Racing closed?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Texas Forever, Nov 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Well that sucks

carnutdallas likes this.
  3. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Always sad to see racing schools close. They are feeders for people to get into the sport, racers to teach and mechanics to wrench. With Skip Barber closing and now Bondurant I'm wondering why it has been harder for them to turn a profit? My guess is insurance, but that is just a guess. Perhaps fewer people are going to racing schools, I dont know. At least GT4 is growing a lot and so are the Prototype fields.

alum04org and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Apparently, track rents blow a big hole in the bank account. But, my guess is the number of people interested in racing is going down.

carnutdallas likes this.
  5. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Racing has to be dwindling. Has to be?!?! I have almost no interest and it was all I cared about from age 15-35 (47 now). I hate the current NASCAR. I use to love F1 but not these days. I raced regionally for several years - some vintage, some NASA racing and 2 SCCA events, but just lost interest. I was not terrible either. My buddies were extremely successful and I got to tag along for some great stuff. I watched all the time and now... nope.

Kind of sad. But things change. I bought Bondurants book when I turned 15 in preparation for my drivers test, LOL. Probably have the book in my attic. Taught me how to hold the shifter and be smooth. Wanted to attend the school but never made it past Texas :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I think the proliferation of hpde put big dent in racing schools. many people went to skippy or boundarant as bucket list and hpde is easier and way cheaper.

davem likes this.
  7. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Old thread, I realize. I wonder if the problem is that kids just aren’t into cars like they used to be. Seem to be just as happy to take an Uber than drive - maybe because driving (for most) interrupts valuable iPhone time.

8. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
  9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    stig as in top gear stig?

10. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, this one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Stig O'Harold O'Hara was a founding member of The Rutles. He also had a popular solo career. Called "the quiet one", he was the thinnest of all the Rutles. In 1970, after The Rutles breakup, O'Hara started work at Air India as an Air Hostess.

Stig O'Hara was born on 25 February 1943 in Liverpool, England.

In 1968 Stig released his first solo album, Wonder Ball Music. In 1970, after the Rutles' breakup, O'Hara accepted a job offer from Air India to be an Air Hostess. He also appeared in 1978 in a mockumentary, "The Beatles: All You Need Is Love" Where he played an interviewer. The parody of Stig in The Beatles was George Harrison.

Stig O'Hara's stint with Air India took him around the world, but over time he took fewer and fewer flights. O'Hara grew a partnership with other airline professionals that led to the formation of a new group they called Travelways Buslines. They soon found out there was already a bus company called Travelways in Canada, so they abandoned the effort after only two chartered trips. In 2001, Stig made the decision to work overtime on flights, and has done so since, winning him the Nobel Peas Prize for Air Hostesses 7 years in a row.

During a layover between flights in 2000, Stig befriended the founder of renowned square dancing troupe Circle of Hay. Over beers in the Concourse bar, they discussed the idea of doing a new show using Rutles music but lost touch after Stig began to work overtime. With the blessings of Dirk and Barry, who were easily reached, work began on recombining classic Rutle tracks in ways that could support the Cirque du Soleil show Lunch.

11. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    huh? so monty python bought them?

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Think Hpde hurt the biz a good bit. Did Skippy 3 day school, some more classes. Even with discounts it's not cheap.
    That said, do wonder about kids and the love affair with car culture. When in HS in the late 70's all my friends were into muscle cars. Driving too fast ahem...
    Now kids want a luxury car, Mercedes, Audi etc...

14. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Bondurant was always on my bucket list. Hope it continues on as it always had.

15. definitelysomeday

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I know the people who bought it and they are going to make a serious run at it.

16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I hope they go back to Chevy/Corvette.

I live nearby and have been several times. Always a great time. They let me take the Challenge Stradale out on their track and I have video of Bob driving my car with me in the passenger seat. Then one of their instructors took me out and showed me what the car could really do. I was literally laughing the whole way around the track. Great times and great memories.

But...I stopped going when they stopped having a sports car to drive. I have zero interest in tracking a 4500lb MOPAR muscle car.

17. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Still open!

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    woah woah woah... they have/had vipers.

19. definitelysomeday

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
  20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Bumping this since the school was sold and is under new management. "Radford" school and the prices for the multi-day experiences went up about 500 bucks across the board. I'm actually going to be there this week, I'm picking up a car in Scottsdale and going to swing by.

definitelysomeday likes this.
  21. MichaelArcane

MichaelArcane Rookie

Aug 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looking forward to your report, I'm moving to Scottsdale in July and I was planning on doing the school. Just saw yesterday they had officially rebranded the site. Please let us know what you think.

22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I drove by and the place was going through signage changes and people were milling about, but all the Bondurant stuff is pretty much in the bin.

23. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Its been taken over by Radford (as in the UK coachbuilders) which is now run by Jensen Button and Ant Anstead who have started a bespoke build company in the US.

TestShoot likes this.
  24. jimiguy

jimiguy Formula Junior
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2010
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim Shaw
    They ran a two-page ad in the latest issue of Highline Autos plus they were included in another ad for a tasting event. All using the Bondurant brand.

Seems like they are open for business.

Jim

25. definitelysomeday

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Definitely open for business - I did a two day school with them at Christmas.

They are definitely rebranding using the Radford name. The Bondurant name will be dropped from the school. Keeping the Hellcat/Demon products.