Never thought I'd be asking medical question on Fchat...hernia | FerrariChat

Never thought I'd be asking medical question on Fchat...hernia

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bitzman, Mar 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Got a inguinal hernia, last few inches of intestine (def. Direct inguinal hernias occur when a weak spot develops in the lower belly muscle)

. I live in IE near Los Angeles but the only doctor
    my health Insurance wants me to go to does the mesh hernia and I am loathe to go that way when I see those TV ads saying "sue this doctor for improper use of mesh." There is a hospital in Toronto famous for hernia surgery without mesh but my medical insurance won't pay for me to go up there (probably $2000 an operation). By the way I think I inadvertently hastened its arrival by trying to run on the treadmill a mile in 12 minutes, all that pounding broke it through so watch those over-attempts to feel young in the gym (that was at age 72 or so) .

2. Sonoma

Sonoma Rookie

May 7, 2017
    Wine Country
    Sorry to hear about the hernia - I don’t think you got around to asking your question, though. Are you asking for a doc in LA that does a mesh less surgery?

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Yes My regular doc told me he is not against mesh but if I can find a surgeon that does it without nesh I'll see if he or she accepts Health Net

4. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I agree meshless repair, try to find someone who doesn't use a mesh may be tough since most are trained to use it. Also, a good number of folks end up with a "meshoma" which is a chronic nagging pain radiates to scrotum which can be resolved with pain management shots.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    A colleague of mine used to be a general surgeon and says that Shouldice hernia hospital is the best (no mesh). Apparently they only use moderate sedation and local anesthesia and not general anesthesia that is done with mesh (something to consider as general anesthesia is a lot more serious). That's all they do there and are good at it and other people have tried to replicate their technique, but not been as successful.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #6 johnk..., Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    I had a mesh repair done 15 years ago. No big deal.

"Mesh repair has a lower incidence of recurrence than tension repair. There are also different kinds of mesh, including patches, plugs, three-dimensional, expanding, self-absorbing, and even self-gripping mesh that requires few to no sutures to keep it in place. A surgeon who specializes in hernia repair is most likely to have experience using the latest procedures. Ask which ones he or she uses, which may be best for you, and why. Sometimes the best procedure for you is the one with which your surgeon has the most experience and is most comfortable. Don’t hesitate to ask!"

https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/patients/treatments-therapies/hernia-surgery.html