One of the earliest Radio Controlled Model cars was a 250LM? | FerrariChat

One of the earliest Radio Controlled Model cars was a 250LM?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by DavidWP, Apr 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    According to the always accurate Wikipedia -
    "Several early commercially viable RC cars were available by mid-1966, produced by the Italian company El-Gi (Elettronica Giocattoli) from Reggio Emilia. Their first model, a 1:12 Ferrari 250LM, etc.." There were no pictures of the car. Many other RC History sites have versions of this information but also, no pictures.

I was very active in RC cars in the late '60's and am researching early RC cars but had never heard of this 250LM. I was dubious about it's existence since no pictures appeared with any claims of it being, in some cases, identified as 'the First' RC car. Further research has found the following note but my Optical Character Reader can't put it in a form to be translated. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Well, as you heard in the other forum where you've asked this question, be careful about the difference between "remote control" and radio control. It's highly likely there's been some bad translation or confusion re: the Ellegi models.

3. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    - Yes, the fact that cars can be remotely controlled by wires OR by radios is part of the confusion.

- Also confusing is that Elettronica Giocattoli is also known as El-Gi or ELLEGI.

- Further confusing is that the Italian toy company Reggiana-Elettronica aka RE-EL, REEL or Reel claims, on their current website - "...the first model: the Ferrari P5 radio-controlled was immediately a huge success because RE-EL was the first factory to produce a radio-controlled model for the price of a toy. Another Italian 'First'.

- Not to give up yet, I found another radio controlled Ferrari P5 made back in the day by a company called Bianchi S.A. How many P5 RC cars did the world need back then?

- Incidentally, I tried to translate the above information a word at a time, but ended with a sentence that read "Plastic model with brass skates on the bottom of the electric motor." Somehow I think Google and I missed on that translation. Hope someone here can help.

4. sylar91

sylar91 Rookie

Jan 7, 2012
    Here's a translation:
    "ELGI (ELettronica GIocattoli) was founded in Reggio Emilia in 1964. Later it became ELLEGI. They made several good quality car models in plastic, in scales 1:10 and about 1:13, like the Fiat 850 and several Ferraris and Alfa Romeos. In 1967 Elgi decided to make a slot car track: the choice fell on two shoddy models: a Ford GT40 and a Ferrari 250 LM, 17cm long and in 1:24 scale. They called this toy the "Radiopista Elgi". Those two plastic models had brass shoes/braids (I'm not familiar with slot cars) and an electric motor. They ran on the track and were radio-controlled: technical problems convinced Elgi to suspend track production and commercially it was a disaster. Ellegi later successfully built several other large-scale models. Production lasted until 1984. In 1985 New Ellegi was founded in Cadelbosco Sopra in the province of Reggio Emilia. Production lasted until 1994.

edit: here's an expired auction for a Radiopista Elgi, the seller included some pictures of the LM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiopista-El-Gi-/263468540338?nma=true&si=vqNMAIdsH2dM8GCF21JBH8y4Iw0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

DavidWP likes this.
  5. sylar91

sylar91 Rookie

Jan 7, 2012
    DavidWP likes this.
  6. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Excellent sylar!! Knowing the language certainly helps in this research. The book by Paolo Rampini as you noted, does have this:

Since it shows a 1:12 scale 250LM and a 'Radio 3 channel' (correct?), this may be the mysterious 250LM Radio Controlled car mentioned in my original post.

Also shown on PDF pg 7 is this picture of a spectacular 1:12 Ferrari P5 (not P4) and two 250LM's but no mention of radio control. They look great compared to the very poor 1:24 250LM on the eBay track:

You have certainly helped clear up some things but the release date of the RC 250LM is still a mystery.

Incidentally, the electrical pickups on a slot car are normally called 'braids'. However, the ElGi 'Radiopista' cars have brass sliders or 'skates' that can control the steering so that the cars can apparently operate any place on the track, there are no slots. Interesting!

7. sylar91

sylar91 Rookie

Jan 7, 2012
    Glad to be helpful. That ad mentions a 3-channel radio, to be precise.

DavidWP likes this.
  8. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Back to my original post, yes, the Italian company El-Gi (Elettronica Giocattoli) from Reggio Emilia did produce a 1:12 Ferrari 250LM radio controlled car. This pristine example was sold on eBay earlier this year. I still, however, have found no evidence of when it was actually available.

9. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
  10. ron54

ron54 Rookie

Jul 18, 2012
    Managed to find one of these today....no controller and a few bits missing, it's obviously more toy that detailed scale model but the basic shape is quite accurate..

DavidWP likes this.
  11. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Excellent! Would you be willing to disclose where you found it and show some pictures? I still have not been able to find out when it was first produced.

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I know I had seen this somewhere, and I just found it. Quattroruote magazine #126, June 1966, pages 194-195, has an article in Italian with two color pictures of the remote controlled Ferrari 250LM by El-Gi. I'm afraid I can't translate and I don't have a working scanner at present, but I'm sure I can arrange to make a copy and post it somehow if there is a "demand" for it. It appears that these sold for 28,000 lire when new.

DavidWP likes this.
  13. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    I am very interested in seeing the article. That could establish the availability date for the LM. Can you take a photograph of the pages and post or email them? Thanks!

14. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    David: I'll give this a try when I get back this evening, OK?

15. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Excellent, thanks!

16. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #17 Miltonian, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    DavidWP likes this.
  17. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Great! That is very interesting - leave it to the Italians to include a nice looking lady! I blew the text up to 150% and it is readable - sylar91, are you there?

Miltonian - If you are willing to take it to a local office supply place that does scanning, I would be willing to pay for your time and for the cost of scanning the magazine cover and the 2 page article. I am really keen on documenting this car. Thanks!

18. ron54

ron54 Rookie

Jul 18, 2012
    David... I found it at a local toy fair here in the UK as usual I probably paid too much but what the hell I didn't even know they existed so I am not likely to see another one anytime soon!

As soon as I figure out the method of posting pictures I will put some up......

Re.The year of manufacture...I see others have posted that information.. Thanks

DavidWP likes this.
  19. ron54

ron54 Rookie

Jul 18, 2012
    Just to update this thread, there is a NART (?) version of this on E-Bay as of today( 24/09/2019) In case anyone is still interested..( I am not the seller )

DavidWP likes this.
  20. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    I am very interested but have not found this car on eBay, can you give me a link or the exact title to search? Thanks!

21. ron54

ron54 Rookie

Jul 18, 2012
    David this is on Italian E Bay item number is 293241769408. EL-GI Ferrari 250lm. 2 bids on at the moment. Sorry I’m too dumb to do a link but I hope this helps.

22. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Thanks again, Ron. I found it here:
    el-gi1/12-ferrari-250-lm-berlinetta-radiocomandata

The seller's translated description:

"Ellegi ferrari 250 the common mans white. Not tested and not testable, missing remote control, very beautiful aesthetically. 1/12 scale"

eBay Italy item number: 293241769408

It is just the car with no transmitter and it has clearly been enjoyed by an Italian child (or hard driving adult). For all the collisions it has been in, it is amazing how well the delicate looking wire wheels have survived. As a very rare piece of radio control car history, I hope the buyer appreciates what it is. If I needed another project, I would buy it (it is under $US 50 last I looked) but the seller says 'Europe only'. The photographer had a little trouble framing the shots but here are some pictures:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. ron54

ron54 Rookie

Jul 18, 2012
    You are welcome, if anyone over your side wants it I will gladly join in the bidding and if lucky enough to be successful post it from the UK..

24. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    You are tempting me, Ron, I am obviously a fan of this car. Do you have any idea of the shipping from the UK to Indiana, USA? I assume it would weigh under 10 pounds (4.5 kg) but would be a bit bulky, a 1:12 scale 250LM would be about 13.5 inches (343 mm) long plus packaging.