"A Ferrari Is Just A Car..." | Page 4 | FerrariChat

"A Ferrari Is Just A Car..."

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Mar 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Snowflake millenial entitled morons don’t get cars..... thank god, more petrol and cars for us to burn up.... let them keep their pushbikes and Prius ****, I wouldn’t be seen dead in such environmentally PC ********

2. Kuba

Kuba Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    You mean they dont get cars in comparison to those who just collect them never drive them, "because adding miles decreases their value"?

3. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    Yeah, we don’t get cars at ALL... *rolleyes*

What’s wrong with a hybrid?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Long as it still burns petrol and is engineered to be the fastest carbon burner on the planet, that’s great. When it’s something that looks like a throwback to the 80’s with a rear end stuffed so full of batteries it acts like it’s dragging its arse along the ground, and is engineered to be slow as ****.... keep em

Back'n'Black likes this.
  5. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Since I got burned down in the Tesla thread for promoting rolling toasters, I thought I should revive this thread to remind some of you who I am and how I actually feel about Ferrari. I didn't post the Tesla thread as an insult.

Here's the best looking (and best sounding) car Ferrari have made in the last 20 years. No electric car could ever be to me what this car is...

ddrewesusa likes this.
  6. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Pretty?

Yes .....

And I'll PASS.

You guys (and gals?) can fight over her.

I'll keep time and 'call the rounds' if you'd like.

jm2 likes this.
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Best looking?
    To each their own, but i don't think so. Just sayin'.

8. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I like blondes and front engine Ferrari 12s.

I don't care for rear engine cars in general because they look like space ships to me.

I want a car to look like a car, not a space invader.

ddrewesusa and anunakki like this.
  9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Interesting. Whats your age? Im not asking that condescendingly, Im wondering if theres a certain age group this car appeals to.

Im 53 and I think its hideous. Now, i dont think im the arbiter of good design, which is why im asking for your age.

On this we sort of agree. I dont like cars that look like spaceships either. Thats why the 288 GTO is, IMO, the best looking Ferrari of all time.

But I dont think older mid engine cars look like spaceships. So its only most recent models that fit that for me.

ddrewesusa and jm2 like this.
  10. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I'm 47.

Miami Vice generation.

Love the Daytona style cars. 599, TDF, Portofino, Roma.

The TDF has very feminine curves with hips at the back. I love that look. The Portofino and Roma both have it.

But again, to each their own. I think the new Supra may be the ugliest car ever produced. At least the Edsel was quirky. The new Supra looks like a toy someone left on the radiator too long. But that's just an opinion. Others love the thing.

Maggie Siff. She played Wendy Rhoads on "Billions." I think she's super sexy. A whole lot of people have told me she's straight up ugly.

There's just no accounting for taste. And how boring would the world be if we all liked the same things?

JOHNCJ8989, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    30 years ago..this was all true. Ferrari was indeed a cut above the rest. It was a rare sight to see one in person driving down the road. Something you would run to tell your buddies about..somthing that would stick in your head for weeks on end.

Now? Unfortunately, it has become the 5.0 liter mustang of the semi wealthy.
    Banks finance them..where as they never would 35 years ago. You wanted that toy..you had to pay for it. Every damn idiot with a web sight or Amazon store has one..they are now nothing but a high end man purse. Sure the super cars are different..but I agree. There is absolutely nothing speacial about a modern Ferrari car anymore. They are everywhere.

12. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed

I dunno about all that.

There was a guy on our block in the 80s who kept a Dino in his garage. He was just a mechanic. Saved up, bought one and worked on it himself. Not rich at all.

Ferrari as a brand didn't really mean much before Hollywood got into the act. They were really looked at as fancy Fiats. Magnum PI and Miami Vice made the brand into the Gucci nameplate that it is today. And I think they're still special, no matter who owns them.

The Portofino gets a lot of heat for being the most Gucci of the Ferrari models. It's the Mercedes SL of the brand. But it's a beautiful car, it's fun to drive, and is reasonable practical for daily use. These are not bad things.

I think the word "Ferrari" means many things to different people. To some, it's conspicuous excess and waste. To others, it's the culmination of a dream realized. For still others, it's just another logo in their collection of expensive badges. And for purists, it's a racing heritage that's become watered down for the masses.

I love them. There's still a magic to the cars for me. Maybe it's because I've not properly grown up and still love cars the way a kid does. I like having cool stuff and doing cool things, and Ferrari still makes some pretty cool cars. To you I'm probably looking at them in a superficial way, but I like the idea of having something you worked for and getting those bragging rights.

Emotional resonance. That's the term I'm looking for. For me, and 80s kid who's never really let go, the Ferrari brand has an emotional resonance. Maybe I'll grow out of it one day. But it hasn't happened yet.

mikegr likes this.
  13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You basicly solidified my post..but in a much nicer way. Ferrari is now luxury accessory.

14. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Name a thing that isn't cheapened by consumerism.

They sell gold inlaid bibles for crying out loud.

That don't make the words in the book any less meaningful.

USMCS6 likes this.
  15. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe

At least he admitted is a car

somebody i met once described supercars as "colorful tincans"

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    At the end of the day it is not just black and whit.

Now before going further, I'd like to make one thing perfectly clear. I'm not one to say that I love a car. I like my cars but love my wife. I love motorsports and driving. Feeling "love" for inanimate objects is just not me. That's however not the same as not being careful, protective and passionate about what I like. I am all of those things when it comes to cars. I could drone on for hours about the pleasures of applying wax by hand, sitting besides the car just admiring it, or turning wrenches etc. Alas, I digress.

To me a Ferrari is just a car. Does that mean I don't care what happens to it? Of course not, but I don't get anxiety or lie sleepless about mileage depreciation. It means that I park everywhere and drive in practically all kinds of weather. If I get a bump or a scratch I get it fixed and move on. I can get annoyed by it, but that's it. I have had minor damage to both my 488 and 812 GTS and I just had it fixed. No need to make a big song and dance about it because what good will that do. The car looks, feels and drives perfectly. My point is that things can be fixed. What's the fun in taking your car somewhere if all you do is worry that it might get a ding or scratch? Nah. That said, a car like my 250 GTE is a bit different when it comes to parking. Not because of the risk of small damage, but because you can practically steal it using a banana. Do I drive it in salty winter conditions? No. Not because I mind it getting dirty orcwet, but because it was not designed forcthe salt. It will rust and get damaged quickly, and I don't want that to happen. It's just not fun to drive in such conditions, so why do it.

But yet it's just a car. I let most close friends and fam members drive my cars and take them on long road trips. I am obviously mindful of whether these are people I consider responsible. If something happens, I'm insured. I just don't find much pleasure in keeping my toys all to myself. If I did, how would I have fun sharing experiences and opinions with those that matter to me but whom cannot afford such toys? It's about the experiences and memories, the car is just a prop used to satisfy an urge.

I'm often been asked whether or not I consider myself a car enthusiast. This I very much do, and Ferrari is the marque I hold in the highest regard. But I'm even more of a driving enthusiast. For this reason I will get rid of a car in short order if I don't connect with it. I only own cars that I like to drive and I'm not a collector. This is also why I will rarely be interested in a car that is developed for collectors. Was offered an Elva just before xmas and turned it down on the spot. Completely worthless to me.

I guess I will never fully understand the thought behind owning a car that is normal series production and which can easily be repaired, but treating it like the Mona Lisa. Drive them and enjoy them because that's what they were designed for. After all, they are just cars...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Next time you hear a woman say something like a Ferrari is just a car, tell her that a diamond is just a rock. Because that's what it is.

18. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    That's pretty good.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ibterestingly, when I usually hear "it's just a car" in a derogatory way, it's never from women but rather some guy who's clearly jealous or have some other inferiority complex. If I hear something from women who are not positive, it's usually as simple as they just don't care. Most of the negativity I have encountered has been from guys, and interestingly, a lot were claiming to be car guys.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

anunakki and Golden Steed like this.
  20. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    When I was young, I was like this. Mad at people who had what I wanted.

At some point I realized my own potential, and realized I could have the things I wanted if I smartened up.

Now when I see someone with nice things I think "good for you, bro."

A positive mindset is one of the great keys to happiness. But for many, letting go of their bitterness is a tough corner to turn.

EnzoItaly, anunakki and paulchua like this.
  21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its not the car but rather the person. People get attached and protective of all kinds of things. But a Ferrari can be beautiful. Seeing beauty in inanimate objects is quite ordinary.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  22. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Same. I matured past that stage in my late 20s

DBomb117 and EnzoItaly like this.
  23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree. Actually, I would modify the original argument to “A modern car is just a car.”

Classic Ferraris are unique - a 365 GTB/4, for example, is a work of art. Anyone who owns one is taking on a custodian role, and driving one is a special, rare experience. I’d say the same for classic Porsches — to me, all the new ones are great, but anyone can own one and maintain one, but my 356 and now 964 are unique driving experiences and require some diligence to maintain. If you drive a classic Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, etc., you have something more than an ordinary car.

Aston Martin is now a commodity, but through the ‘80s they were still really special. Now they produce the DBX crossover… because the world needs more crossovers? Granted I live in a relatively affluent area, but Astons are just a nice part of the scenery. Ditto Bentleys — there as many GTs here as there are 911s. You can go to Marshall Goldman and they have 10 of them for sale any day of the week.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tbakowsky and EnzoItaly like this.
  24. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    "Frankly my dear.... I don't give a damm" about what people say of my car. :)

elephantgrinds likes this.
  25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I don’t recall anyone saying anything to my face negatively about my car. I have witnessed some weird reactions from afar. Some guy in a parking lot with my friends went over to them to point out his Audi S4 was just as fast as their Ferrari’s and much cheaper, and the guy looked angry with crazy eyes.
    Maybe people don’t do that to me because of the way I look. I can go from smiling to pre-MMA stare down in half a second. Generally when an unknown person walks up to me I adopt a scrutinizing ready-stance look. Grew up in Philly. :)