A Walk-through: How to diagnose and fix GT4 headlight problems | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A Walk-through: How to diagnose and fix GT4 headlight problems

Discussion in '308/328' started by sammyb, Oct 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Glad that you've got it working!

Agree -- on US version (and Aussie version it seems), F made the conscious decision to have a flashing function only if the parking (running) lights are "on" and the pods are up.

Don't really follow you here (although that would work). If you want the high beams to flash when you have the pods up (I believe you can do it without adding another relay), all you have to do is connect one of the light blue wires of the flash switch to the +12V line going from relay D to the headlight switch pole and the other light blue wire to the high beam red wire of the headlight switch. This would give an operation similar to the stock F scheme, but using the high beams for flashing instead of the low beams - i.e.:

If the buckets are down and you pull the flashing stalk = nothing happens
    If the buckets are up with the headlights "off" and you pull the flashing stalk = the high beam headlights flash
    If the buckets are up and the low beams are "on" and you pull the flashing stalk = the high beam headlights flash (while the low beams stay "on")
    If the buckets are up and the high beams are "on" and you pull the flashing stalk = the high beam headlights glow a little brighter (while the low beams stay "on")

but there are many ways to skin a cat, and still get a skinned cat in the end ;)

uzz32soarer and thorn like this.
  2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Ooops -- should've written: "...all you have to do is connect one of the light blue wires of the flash switch to the +12V line going from relay D to the headlight switch pole and the other light blue wire to the red wire going to the top of the high beam fuses." (Don't know if you have relay E in the path of the main beam red wire or not.)

uzz32soarer likes this.
  3. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Yep, I was over thinking it.

Ended up with six wires from the column and four wires from the loom side that needed re-connecting. I looped black and red in a six pin white plug and connected the two blue 'flash' wires. Sometimes you miss the easy solution. Thanks for setting me straight Steve.

Green - green
    Yellow - yellow
    Black - black and one blue
    Red - red and one blue

I've managed to order from Bosch 2 x 101, 2 x 113, 2 x 006 relays.

101 and 113 superseded to new numbers, but apparently Bosch Australia shows no change to number on 006 so I'll report back whether I get a metal K relay or a plastic modern relay with the same old number on it.

This at least lets me put back the relays stolen from the Testarossa and have a couple of spares on the shelf.

Now just a matter of cleaning up where previous butchers had cut and spliced into the rear of the relay board and return to original state and button it all up again. Have ordered Birdman fuse boards but they could be a while away so I'll attack it again when they come and sort the fuseboard wiring out.

4. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    So the relays arrived and I wanted to check in with the replacement numbers.

006 still exists under the same old number but now its in a mid blue coloured plastic unit. This is the old K relay to replace the Stibel.
    101 has been replaced and is now 0332019151 and is brown plastic
    113 has been replaced and is now 0332209151 and is purple plastic

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Those all look correct to me. Have replaced all my old steel ones, no problems at all.