2019 Indy Car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2019 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Mar 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's crazy how fast F1 cars are.

surprised by the "slowness" of MotoGP...

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    12-1/2 seconds is a greater margin than I would have expected!:eek:

3. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Colton Herta! His hair reminds me of the Stroller!

375+ likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    While Herta got lucky with the timing of that yellow flag, it was impressive the way he was able to drive away from a Penske car with much more push-to-pass available. The kid's got talent - more than his dad?

I do feel sorry for Will Power - to lose a race like that that you've dominated, and wind up dead last. But that's racing.

5. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    While it's early, I feel more hype for O'Ward and Herta than when Marco and Graham came in. I got to give props to Brian Barnhart too, he did a helluva a job. They took it to the big boys today and schooled them at their own game.

nathandarby67 likes this.
  6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Anyone else find it weird to watch Indycars at COTA completely ignoring the track limits?

7. Jean-Pierre Marchand

BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    It was a bit of a joke, wasn't it?

thirteendog and Nortonious like this.
  8. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I'd be curious to see what the F1 cars could do with similar leeway.

Regardless it was a fun race. Will Power and Rossi definitely got hurt by that yellow.

Post checker pic Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Not sure what you mean. The drivers weren't "ignoring" track limits because IndyCar decided to not put in track limits for the race.

But overall yes it did look odd with them going so far off line. I was waiting to see who would make turns 3 through 6 a straight line and go over all the red white and blue paint lol.

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I must have missed something on the yellow. Power attempting to leave the pits with his output
    shaft issue, but when they came in Rossi was right on his tail and the next thing you know, Rossi
    was right at the back. What happened to him?

The young guys and rookies are going to shine in Indy Car this year. It's a very impressive
    lot with Herta, Rosenqvist, O'Ward and Ericsson.

Some of the veterans seemed lost today. Pagenaud at the tail end of the field, Dixon and Rosenqvist
    were off the pace while Newgarden has a first and second place to his credit and big early points
    lead.

BHW

11. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Great race. Cool to see INDYCAR at COTA. And Congrats to Herta. It’s a great cast of rookies this year.

Credit where credit is due - INDYCAR is the best it’s been in years. I’m really looking forward to the rest of the season.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  12. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    When the yellow hit, Rossi and Power has not yet pitted to put on their Sticker Red Tires (not Tyres for IndyCar...haha), so the yellow collapsed the field and the healthy lead(s) they had over Herta, Newgarden, RHR vanished...and now Rossi and Power still needed to pit.

Prior to the yellow, and in the final pit window, I listened via scanner to the commentators remarking how the front runners were "playing with fire" by not pitting now (actually they called it the "Danger Zone" with very annoying Kenny Loggins impersonations).

It probably wouldn't have mattered for Power with his Mechanical trying to leave the pits, but he still had a few words for how he felt about the devastating impact these yellows can have on an otherwise masterfully driven race.

To add insult to injury, for this race an additional $100k in prize money was to be awarded to the Pole Sitter if he also won the race. Ouch!

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Especially at turn 19. That was hilarious!:D

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    On a new circuit the teams have to make some educated guesses. Penske and Andretti obviously made better guesses than Ganassi, Schmidt and Foyt. But I can't explain Pagenaud when you compare his race with his teammates.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The cars certainly look a lot better than they did with those silly aero kits. And there weren't carbon-fiber shards lying all over the place after minor contact incidents.

16. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Fun race! The rookies really stole the spotlight. I'm not sure how I felt about track limits but it certainly added to the entertainment of the race.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Caught the bit with Power complaining about the Indy Car pit lane rule. Okay, explains how Rossi got
    shuffled out. Turn your back for two seconds and you miss the whole thing

I'm not sure about anyone else, but the sound mix was really bad. The sound of the engines was drowning
    out the commentary (which in Diffey's case is a good thing) so I wasn't really hearing everything they were saying. NBCS better dial that in soon.

On the yellow for the Rosenqvist-Hinchcliff incident, looked innocuous enough, but the caution period seemed
    to go on forever. Were they sorting out the field behind the pace car or was the incident worse than it appeared
    and they needed to fix the barrier?

BHW

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Colton Hairta?

Jean-Pierre Marchand likes this.
  19. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    So NBC sports broadcast the race which I duly recorded for watching when I returned home. The recording got all but the last 8 laps! Brilliant coverage guys, just brilliant! I guess I was supposed to record the 3 hours of golf that followed so I could see the last 20 minutes of the race.

Nortonious and 375+ like this.
  20. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Ugh. I've gotten burned recording F1 races too. I usually go "End Time + 1 hour"

21. Jean-Pierre Marchand

BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    That should be the recording formula for any live sporting event. One never knows what delay might occur.

22. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Yup. Temporarily closing the entry to pit road just as soon as the yellow gets thrown definitely compounds the problem.

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Earnhardt Jr. Jr. Jr. set to join NBCS Indy 500 broadcast team.

Nothing against the guy personally, but given that he's never once driven an open wheeled
    car, how does NBCS think this is going to enhance their Indy 500 broadcast?

The first time he says "I don't know about Indy Cars but in NASCAR..." (and we all know he will)
    I'm pulling an Elvis and shooting the TV.

https://racer.com/2019/04/03/nbc-confirms-dale-jr-to-join-indy-broadcast-team/

BHW

375+ likes this.
  24. Jean-Pierre Marchand

BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    I hear he does a great Prince Harry impersonation . . . .

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    An attempt to broaden the appeal to NASCAR fans I guess. Can't wait to see June Bug interview Alonso.

Also Prince Albert in a can.

Jean-Pierre Marchand likes this.