2018 ATLANTA ITALIAN CAR DAY | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2018 ATLANTA ITALIAN CAR DAY

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by AlfaRick, Oct 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    4re308 and kidryno like this.
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I will express my intent to eat lunch at Paizano's, right up the street from the park, and any of you is welcome to join me. They open promptly at 12 noon, so meet me at the restaurant at that time. They have a large menu of good Italian food at reasonable prices.

https://www.paizanos.com/

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #53 Gatorrari, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    I think a good time was had by all. The weather was absolutely perfect, and on the fifth try the show attracted 87 cars and motorcycles, not a record but pretty decent. Interestingly, there were NO Lamborghinis entered, so if you know anyone who owns one, tell them that they missed out on a nice award plaque. (The only Lambo there was a show car displayed by the dealer; another one was there briefly in the afternoon but evidently never registered. And there was only one Pantera entered, so another plaque was left unclaimed.)

The photos taken at lunchtime from the upper lever of the park show how heavily populated the Fiat/Alfa Romeo side of the park was; the exotic side was less densely packed but there were some very nice cars among them. One popular car, and the winner of the Fiat category, was a Fiat 600; if you look at my first photo of the car, taken as they backed in, you can see three adults, plus a boy in the right rear seat, and the front seat passenger is holding a statue of a "Grease Monkey" named Tony (as in Fix It Again.....). That's a lot to pack into a 600!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4re308 likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Winner of the Ferrari award (AND Best in Show!) was a car familiar to those of us who've been here awhile, Alan Boe's lovely '62 250 GTE. The car is always spectacular and I think Alan is a bit too humble about it. (Second place was Chris' (Oz-ATL) 458, as seen in his photo of the car above in post #51.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4re308 likes this.
  5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    For the second year running, John had a category for French cars, which is a nice thing to do, because a "French Car Day" on its own would have attracted, in this case, a total of four cars! Not much of a show.

The winner was a now-familiar Citroen 2CV "shooting brake", which as the window placard boasts, is "Often overtaken, Never surpassed." As a wagon should be, it was well loaded: fruits and veggies in the back seat, accompanied by, I guess, the "Coq Rouge" mentioned on the door decal, and in the trunk (boot?), wine, bread, Perrier water, eggs and barely visible, a wheel of cheese. That would make a nice meal, but the owner admitted the bread was very stale.

4re308 likes this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    4re308 likes this.
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    My first sunburn of the year. What a beautiful day. I parked next to Alan, so I got to hear the story of his wonderful machine!

sjd

4re308 likes this.
  8. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
  9. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
    To see 30+ great photos from yesterday's Italian Car Day open Facebook and Mike Ashmore's page. His photography is wonderful.

Use this link once you're off this page: https://www.facebook.com/mike.ashmore.9

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    4re308 likes this.
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    DrinkMan and 4re308 like this.
  12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    4re308 likes this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Aside from the cars, ICD is also a good social event. I saw people I hadn't seen in over a year: Rick R. (sunburn), Bob R. (kaamacat) and the two sons of Mitch D. (4re308). Since this was technically the "2018" show, plans are already underway for a true 2019 show in late October, on a weekend without (hopefully) conflicting events, and with an on-street backup plan in the event of wet grounds. As the old adage goes, watch this space.

4re308 likes this.
  14. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    We had a BLAST!! Gosh it was so good to see so many of you guys! Awesome show!

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was hoping for a motorcycle class that wasn't all Ducatis, and I got my wish; there were nice bikes from Moto Guzzi and Cagiva, and an amazing 6-cylinder Benelli won the class. (The Vespa in the last photo wasn't in the show; it was parked at a higher level in the park as I was coming back from lunch. But it's an Italian bike too, so why not?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4re308 likes this.
  16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It occurred to me after the show that I had photographed everything except the Ferraris! Maybe it's because I've photographed so many in the recent past. Sorry guys, this is all I got: a 308, 328 (mine) and 348, all spiders, and all in nice chronological order.

kidryno and 4re308 like this.
  17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    4re308 likes this.
  18. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Good to hear the Benelli took the MC prize... very cool machine. (That was Frank Turner's Ducati Scrambler next to my ST3). For cars, the one guy there with the Silverstone(?) 430.. that was a very pretty car, as were they all. (No secret a 430 Scud will always be my dream car) Was nice to see folks I'd not seen in years, and heck, SteveD I am guessing 10+ or so. Also think I spotted TomS off in the distance. (Saw Jim, Mitch, Rick... few others). What a spectacular day it was.

steved033 and 4re308 like this.
  19. DrinkMan

DrinkMan Rookie

Nov 14, 2014
    North GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I had a great time. This was the first time we did not bring the Alfa roundtail Spider (I've got the engine out and taking care of eliminating the blue exhaust) but we did bring our Lancia Fulvia that we've had since late 2016 but never had a chance to bring to any large events. It was fun to be able to explain all the oddities that make Lancia so interesting. As usual, the '62 Ferrari stole my heart and when I looked at the Maserati Merak SS, I was reminded of the old Top Gear episode where they had an old Merak and they discovered the SS badge was the only thing SS about it (I'm confident this was a real SS but was fun to remember that). Too bad all the reschedules kept the attendance low..... Now, I have to get back to work on the Alfa to make sure it is ready for the Mitty.

I didn't take many pictures but thought I'd pass on one of my favorite Italian cars:

20. DrinkMan

DrinkMan Rookie

Nov 14, 2014
    North GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    One other item. 24 hours prior to the show, this was the state of the Lancia (the original cam cover paint was in bad shape so that needed work):

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Congrats on getting the Fulvia to the show and then winning first place! Your hard work paid off.

4re308 likes this.
  22. DrinkMan

DrinkMan Rookie

Nov 14, 2014
    North GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Full confession - I didn't do the work. My wife did. She stripped the paint off, cleaned up the cam cover, painted it, baked it, and did all the detailing under the hood along with cleaning the car. I was working on Alfa Romeo throttle linkage while she did all the Fulvia work. The original plan was for her to drive the Lancia and me to drive the Alfa. I'm just too slow and deliberate to finish getting the engine back in on time.

23. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
  24. AlfaRick

AlfaRick Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick Andreoli
    kidryno likes this.