Tesla Model 3 - Make or Break ?? | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Tesla Model 3 - Make or Break ??

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F2003-GA, Feb 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They believe anything Felon says.

''Tesla has the best build quality of any car'', he says.
    Just by looking at the panel gaps that an F40 owner would call ''quite large'', paint quality as if it was done by an ape, the late 90s Chrysler interior quality debunks that immediately. Yet Musketeers eat it up and take it as fact.

Everything he says is a lie, it's a play. He and Tesla do not care about their customers the moment they have the cash in their hands.

He's incredibly good at deceiving others, I'll give him that. But the walls are closing in, fast.

2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Funny thing about that is my Tesla is the only car that I've ever owned that has actually gotten better since I've owned it thanks to efforts by the manufacturer that I didn't pay them for. They seem to care far more about me after the sale than BMW or MB ever did.

You seem to be firmly in the anti-Elon cult so this probably won't mean much to you, but perhaps other folks will find some value in it.

When I went to shop for a new daily driver I was looking at the typical suspects, M5, E63 and so on. Coming from a smaller manual transmission car I just couldn't get over the lag while the automatic transmission hunted for the right gear. It always felt like it was in the wrong gear and continually searching for a better one. The technology was just abysmal in the cars. The BMW salesman spent like 15 minutes showing me how I could wave my hands around to try and get it to do stuff, and extolling the virtues of the HUD which I couldn't stand and promptly turned off. I got the distinct impression that BMW and MB really didn't know what to do, so they just threw a pile of crap into the cars and hoped for the best.

Then I got to the P100D Tesla. The throttle response is amazing! No more waiting for gear shifts or turbos to spool, just wham off it goes. The large center touch screen is so much easier to use and very intuitive. I love the interior, the wood trim has a wonderful matte finish on it that really brings out the grain. It isn't ridiculously busy with crap everywhere. The seats are much more comfortable than the E63's. The back seats aren't as nice, but my kids don't care. The cargo space is ridiculous, it makes road trips so much easier not having to fight with the wife over what to pack. Its got more cargo space than my sisters giant suv.

I've got 15k miles on it now and am loving it. It hasn't had any issues and hasn't been back to the dealer once. Not having to go to the gas station once a week genuinely improves my life. The paint looks great. I honestly have never given much thought to the panel gaps, they look fine to me. The fact that its powered by the sun is just a bonus. Does it handle like a 458? No, but its my daily driver and it puts a huge grin on my face every time I get to floor it off a red light and that's what matters most to me.

3. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Bas likes this.
  4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

You are right, I'm anti-Elon and I do not like Tesla's. Driven my Uncle's P85 and didn't care for it, ride on a windy road made my passenger (who normally has no issues ever), feel a bit sick. I didn't like the quality of the car inside and out, for the money.

Seems to me you like the electric power delivery more than what Mercedes/BMW manage with their ICE/gearboxes, and I can see someone preferring that in a daily driver. Porsche's Taycan being similar price to the Model S and the Merc/Audi Model X competitors, I'd far rather get either of those over the Tesla's. The cars will have a feel of quality etc.

As for the dealer and lack of technology, as with all brands it really depends on the salesman IMO. Some are genuinely good, others are downright awful. I don't use much tech in any car, so long the satnav is easy to operate and the sound system I'm good. I don't understand why Tesla puts their tech in and neither do I get all the pointless **** bmw/merc throw in. I don't use speech to text or speech operated stuff on my phones, either.

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Bas, check out my ICON post here......maybe you will like the Mercury better than the Tesla......(if you know about the "patina" fad in the US....)

7. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Tesla investors urge directors to go beyond SEC's board overhaul

November 1, 2018

A group of Tesla Inc. investors wants the electric-car maker’s board to grow up.

A Securities and Exchange Commission settlement that requires Tesla to replace Elon Musk with a new chairman and add two independent directors doesn’t go far enough to fix the company’s corporate governance woes, according to a union-affiliated investor group and officials representing major pension funds in five states.

The investors -- several of which have pressured Tesla in the past, and achieved mixed results -- lay out a series of measures the board should take to boost oversight and better hold Musk accountable as CEO. The billionaire’s run-in with the SEC over allegations of securities fraud have added urgency to changes that the investors say are long overdue.

“Shareholders need new stewards on the board,” the investors wrote in a letter Thursday to three of Tesla’s independent directors. The signatories are officials with California, Connecticut, Oregon, New York state and city pension funds, plus CtW Investment Group, which is affiliated with a federation of unions.

Tesla didn’t have an immediate comment.

The group wrote that they help oversee about $774 billion in combined assets and say they’re substantial investors in Tesla. They call for the creation and release of a plan to refresh the board and for timelines to be set for some directors to leave.

The investors also ask that the board permanently separate the chairman and CEO positions, a step beyond the SEC settlement that prevents Musk from being able to hold both jobs for three years.

Musk, 47, put his future at Tesla in jeopardy by sending tweets in August claiming to have secured the funding and investor support to take the company private. He and the company settled fraud allegations last month by agreeing to each pay $20 million and didn’t admit or deny wrongdoing.

Investors have long criticized Tesla’s board for several directors’ close personal and professional ties to Musk that date back years. In April 2017, the California State Teachers’ Retirement System, New York City Comptroller Scott Stringer and CtW were among those who called for the company to add new independent directors. James Rupert Murdoch and Linda Johnson Rice were appointed about three months later.

A group of Connecticut pension funds also pushed last year for Tesla to move to annual director re-elections. The measure was defeated, and board members continue to serve three-year terms.

This year, CtW waged a campaign against the re-election of three board members. Shareholders voted to keep the directors and opposed an independent chairman.

In their letter Thursday, the investors urged Tesla’s nominating and corporate governance committee to give firm dates for when directors Antonio Gracias and Kimbal Musk -- Elon’s brother -- will leave the board. They also called for Steve Jurvetson to be removed immediately after an almost yearlong leave of absence.

“Five of eight current non-executive directors have professional or personal ties to Mr. Musk that, in light of recent events, appear to have put at risk their ability to exercise independent judgment,” the investors wrote. “As the SEC has recognized, Tesla’s board needs directors who go beyond the technical definition of ‘independence,’ and fulfill the spirit of the term.”

The investors called for the board to adopt proxy-access rights that would give long-term shareholders the ability to nominate their own slate of directors.

They also asked for Tesla to improve the diversity of the board and find directors who have experience that “specifically match the company’s strategy and current skill sets.” Robyn Denholm is the only director who has experience working for a major automaker. She was a finance manager at Toyota Motor Corp.’s Australia unit early in her career.

The investors sent the letter to Denholm, Murdoch and Johnson Rice -- the three board members whom investors and proxy firms consider to be the most independent from Musk.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20181101/OEM02/181109995/tesla-musk-board-sec-governance

8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    A toaster might make an awesome CEO. Reliable, diverse, empathizes with the plight of appliances, appropriately stoic - and electric; plug it in and it's empowered. As long as it's not Elon's toaster, and he doesn't consume anything it dispenses, what's not to like?!

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ".....according to a union-affiliated investor group and officials representing major pension funds in five states....."

O yeah! I'm sure those "union-affiliated" investor groups only want what's best for Tesla........in their opinion.....

10. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That is crazy and sad that he said it happened to a lot more people so it's not an isolated incident. I would have lost it.

12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    saw a video about a canadian company that mods model 3 to make it competitive w m3 on track. new suspension, brakes, tires, plus ecu work to allow drifting, full power, etc. pretty impressive.

14. Jaeger

Jaeger Rookie

Jul 1, 2006
    Southwest USA
    Full Name:
    Jaeger
  15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    But still There talking about a very cheap electric car whereas Tesla can't deliver the promised 35k model
    Anyways my bigger point is eventually Tesla will not be able to compete with the big boys IMO

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

i.e. the minimum US range for the non existent Model 3.

-----

Hyundai makes a car with similar range to higher end Model 3 for the same price as the non existent 35K model 3.

Want a 35K Electric car? Tesla can't deliver one, others can

Want a SUV type electric car? Why would anyone in his right mind buy a Model X, when the Ipace is available for the same money. Far better build. And Audi/Merc coming with their cars.

Want a ''high end'' Sedan? Model S is aging, quickly. Get a second hand one and order the Taycan. Same price, same performance. Is a porsche so 10x better build quality than the **** Felon produces. Plenty of dealers. Spare parts no problem.

Tesla is a deeply unstable company with seriously questionable ethics. Once they've taken your money, they don't care about you anymore. Look on social media, the forums...anywhere. People wanting their 1000 dollar deposit back? It proves impossible. People that where promised 5K cash back? Not happening. People paying 8 grand for vapour ware ''autopilot'', it's in ****ing Beta and so far nothing more than adaptive cruise control! Look at all the Model 3 lemons. People having the cars for hours and the cars are on lock down, straight into service where they have to wait for parts for months. People unable to drive their 60 grand turds because, get this, Tesla doesn't bother registering the cars, only with temporary tags, which expire....sure once you finally get through to customer ''service'' (ambitiously named), they tell you to drive your car and Tesla will pay the bill....but will they really? Who will be holding the bag when you've racked up a bunch of tickets, forwarded them to Tesla who I doubt will actually pay these fines? The ticket is issued to you, all you have is the word of some anonymous **** on the other end of the phone who ''says'' Tesla will pay the fine. YOU will be in trouble.

Tesla is a house of cars build on lie after lie. Not just Tesla, but anything Musk does. Felon has had the electric car game to himself for years, He's build up a loyal following...tell me what happens to the loyal cultists when they're tired of being ignored? They'll flock to the established car marques who have just finished lacing up their shoes. Musk is the cocky hare. House of cards.

F2003-GA likes this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Still 12 hours left to go to hit the 10K model 3s per week goal.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Well the Model Y somehow managed to be even uglier than the Model 3. I didn't think that was possible. And they still clearly haven't hired someone to design the interior of their cars...slap an iPad on the center of the dashboard and call it a day...

19. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I never realised the Model Y existed! A Model 3 SUV I guess?

20. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    S, 3(E), X, Y....what's next?

MalcQV likes this.
  21. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm sure the manufacturing of it and subsequent replacement vehicles for the 3 year lease cycles will be good for the environment. It's probably really good for the environment to pump oil out to make plastic and rubber components and mine and refine metals for battery production. I think if each person had 4 Teslas (1 of each type), it would be better for the environment and global warming...so just 1.6 billion more of these in the US and we're good.

Yes, a crossover type of vehicle as people want taller/larger cars.

Bankruptcy?

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Lol!! I almost lost my beer through my nose. Nice one..

23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The truth is ugly sometimes. "Manufacturing batteries can be carbon intensive"...Wrong, it is carbon intensive no matter what method is used to manufacture.

Save the world, but a hybrid gas/electric not a pure electric auto.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1470101/world

Bas likes this.
  24. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Actually the real destroyer is suburban sprawl. All that infrastructure and need for commuting in low population density areas....it's better for the environment for people to stay in high density city centers and build those with energy efficient technology. Dump cars and buses and everyone walks or bikes or takes electric metro systems at most. I can't think of a single benefit people provide to the environment. It's always net negative.

25. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Humans as an ant colony is the way to go, then, right?