Ferrari Daily Driver - Heres why and How Ive done it for 20 Years. | FerrariChat

Ferrari Daily Driver - Heres why and How Ive done it for 20 Years.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by spiderscott, Mar 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  2. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Very nice piece Scott. I have a 612 as my semi daily driver (swap it out with a MB coupe). The 612 with back seats, F1, softer suspension and being one of the “newer” Ferraris is certainly one of the easier Ferraris to have as a daily driver. I also get smiles, thumbs up and requests to rev the engine wherever I go (never had that in the MB). So, as was stated in the video, very high fun factor.

I am thinking about retiring soon and when I do I will probably get rid of the MB and limit myself to the 612. As stated in the video you only go around once and you want to have as much fun as possible.

Thanks for sharing.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    makes me happy to see this. keep it up!

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have DD Ferraris from 1989 on. Everything from a 308 to an F40. When people asked why.... I tell them that I could die tomorrow and I don't want my last drive to be in a Camry. Would you?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Makuono, daytona355 and Robb like this.
  6. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I tried to make my 575 my daily driver, 3 flatbeds to the shop in the first 6 or 7 months and I accepted that my ferrari was fun to look at, alot of fun to drive when functioning, but not reliable enough to be my daily driver. I also don't have 5 minutes for it to warmup everyday. You're a brave man.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I debated this when I got my 360. I have no doubt it could be done... turns out my 997 is more relaxing to drive home. Heated seats baby!

8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    F355 Fan 82, I guess it really depends on the car and your “risk tolerance level”. I have had my 612 as my semi daily driver for 3 years and have never had any problems. I also dont bother warming it up and I treat it like any other car. The only concession that I made to make it a daily driver was I got it a donut spare. I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it (not run flats) and I have had these tires blow out on the freeway on my other cars. So I didn’t want to have to rely on a flatbed for a tire blow out. Fortunately that has not happened to date.

Vrsurgeon, my 612 does have heated seats (though we dont use them much in CA—-the AC works great as well!) ;)

Modena_2003 and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i daily drove my 456mgt for about 9 years.
    but when that car was in the shop or being used by my wife or my father, i also tried to daily my 512bbi, my 512tr, my 360cs, and even the F40 !

but, there were certain issues that made these impractical.
    the cs had racing belts so it was tedious. it was also loud, taut, and uncomfortable. entry/exit difficult. too much attention.
    the F40 was ok, but the racing belts also made it hard, and it was difficult to enter/exit. too much attention. not enough trunk space (see below)
    the 512bbi was ok, but the lack of power steering made it a work out to park. but it could be done.
    the 512tr was fine, except it was so wide that parking in usual european parking lots was nearly impossible, even if i could get into the spot i could not open the door!

the 456mgt on the other hand was great. comfortable, subtle, power everything, good trunk space, ac worked. great car to daily. Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Top man!

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm retired, so I don't have any work destination to daily drive my Ferraris to, but I drive them enough that I've never had to use a battery tender.

12. thoke

thoke Karting

Jul 31, 2011
    Ridgway CO
    Full Name:
    T.Hoke
    Enjoyed the vid. Thanks for sharing.

13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My wife uses hers for grocery shopping, yoga practice, going to restaurants, any daily chores, in any weather Chicago is able to bless us with ( including -20F recently).
    Has over 5k miles in less then 5 months, so far as reliable as an Accord.
    Her only complaint is the lack of heated steering wheel.

4re308 and daytona355 like this.
  14. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Great video Scott. Just watched all of the 308 rebuild as well. Loved it. Learned so much from the video. Just out of curiosity, how did you acquire your car tinkering skills?

Brocco likes this.
  15. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

I truly admire the fact you guys have used an F40 as a daily. I would totally do the same and enjoy every mile.

16. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I use the 812 as my daily, but I don't necessarily drive anywhere every day. Did 5500 miles last year on the fcar.

spiderscott and G. Pepper like this.
  17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Are you playing polo in your F40?

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    that would be too many horses :)
    i drove the f40 to the club, and then transported my equipment from the stables to the fields in the f40.
    it performed adequately.

Texas Forever likes this.