Ferrari California vs Aston Martin Virage | FerrariChat

Ferrari California vs Aston Martin Virage

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Ravipatel1975, Jan 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ravipatel1975

Ravipatel1975 Rookie

Jul 24, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Looking at purchasing 2010 Ferrari California vs 2012 Aston Martin virage (essentially a db9). Weekend driver (not track) and looking
    for something that can be driven more of a daily driver. Thoughts? Maintenance costs? And value?

Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've owned both (although Vantage rather than Virage.)

I can tell you that the California is a superior car in most respects. Dual Clutch vs. Aston sport shift (or manual if you're leaning that way.) Better handling, better fit and finish, although the Aston is pretty good in that regard. Although the Cali isn't great, Aston electronics in that era, like the stereo, NAV and the damn pop up screen are junk.

The Aston is quirkier. There's a published squeaks and rattles manual for instance. Some things like the gas cap just don't work on any of them, save a hotel room plastic key (you'll know what I mean when you're getting gas in the Aston.) I once had my Aston stall while pulling into a busy parking lot and had to find the right combination of key push, starter, key remove, start, push, remove, and on and on...

The Ferrari is orders of magnitude more expensive. Brakes, possible transmission failure, roof problems, and everything else that goes along with owning a Ferrari. Both require regular maintenance, which are similar in price, although Aston independents are few and far between, even in Los Angeles.

A Ferrari is a Ferrari, and all the attention that comes with it may not be wanted. I had no problem driving my Aston to the grocery store, for example, while the Ferrari is much more of an event.

Both can be reasonable daily drivers, there's some storage in both, suspensions aren't overly stiff, engines are smooth when not in sport. The Aston feels more GT while the Cali feels more sport. I have no problem with the Cali aesthetics, but to me, the Aston is a prettier car.

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Nailed it! I had a vantage, and various Ferrari models. The Aston’s all seem to be quick, prestige GT cars, along the lines of top of the range AMGs or BMWs, but a step up. The electronic niggles are real, and can be painfully embarrassing. Looks wise, little looks as cool as an Aston.

Ferrari’s are far more capable, both handling and speed, and are far more of an event to drive, they stand far above the Aston’s I’m afraid. Anything north of 360 and I’ve found very little maintenance issues, although I don’t really put too many miles on each before I have traded them against the next... the only issue I ever had of note was a radiator split in a 599 that turned into an £8000 ($11000) job with some preventative suspension bits done while the front of the car was off

I don’t think you’d be disappointed with either, but overall, the Ferrari’s are the better built, more reliable cars

ANOpax and tomc like this.
  4. Ravipatel1975

Ravipatel1975 Rookie

Jul 24, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Some great info and really appreciate it. Going from a 360 to another car in the garage.

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agree with all of this!!
    Oh that gas cap stuck...bad memories.
    But I’m still seduced by Aston’s elegant looks...have had 3.
    Forgot to mention one important point: prepare to lose $. Most depreciating car I’ve ever owned - lost $ on all 3.
    Soo seductive...

Sent from my 16M

daytona355 likes this.
  6. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    In my experience, parts for A-M are very difficult to source.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  7. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I traded in my 2015 Vantage for a Portofino (that hopefully will arrive in the next couple of months). Having spent a couple of years with the Aston, but around four hours of solid driving time in a Portofino, the Portofino is much quicker and feels lighter in corners and just more nimble in general, even though they’re around the same weight. The Aston’s engine note sounds a bit better (normally aspirated V-8, after all) and the steering has a touch more feel (hydraulic vs. electronic). However...the single clutch in the Aston can’t compare to the Ferrari’s tranny, and I had that same occasional stalling issue in the Aston, which is a known problem and quite disconcerting when it happens. A gorgeous car, but I’m content I’ve made the right move and am anxiously awaiting delivery of my Portofino.

daytona355 likes this.
  8. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I had a 2012 Aston Martin Virage Volante. Stunning car. The Aston dealer offered me 60K off sticker on a brand new floor model, showing just how much Aston had to give them in incentive to move those cars. Traded it in a year later and as a percentage lost significantly less than I did on my 599 I bought new when I traded that car in, as it happens, on the Aston (again, because of the initial discount.) Vantage (had an '09 V8 Roadster with the 4.7 engine, also purchased new with a drastic discount) is more fun to drive than the Virage was.They are beautiful, exclusive cars but nowhere near the driving experience of a Ferrari.

Attached Files:

daytona355, ANOpax and SVCalifornia like this.
  9. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I test drove a v8 vantage. While it was a nice car it pales in comparison to the California T experience, and I wasn’t a fan of the interior styling and gps.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Years ago (2012) I shopped a barely used bespoke silver-blue Virage auto transmission and a rare low-mileage black DBS Volante manual transmission vs. 2 used 2012 Calis at 2 separate non-factory dealers. Both AMs looked gorgeous and IMO, had more snob appeal than the Calis but the salesmen at both locations were very emphatic in telling me to stay away from the AMs and to go with the Cali because of reliability issues with those AM models. I didn't know much about the Calis at the time and really wanted an AM because they are so cool, especially the manual DBS Volante. I ended up not going with any of those cars and ordered a new 2013 Cali, and I lucked out because the '13 Cali turned out to be the mid-life-cycle refresh Cali30.

I would say if you are familiar with British car (un)reliability from those periods then fine, if you are smitten with them you at least get some beautiful ownership memories, hopefully with minimum hassles. I would go manual transmission as the AUTO is horrible, huge pauses before upshifts. The Cali is much more athletic and responsive. The old AM V12s are cruisers but make you look great driving them. However you have to wonder why experienced salesmen tried so hard to do me a favour. I suspect they could tell I wasn't the right customer for that kind of disappointment (both those cars probably had reliability history) and would come back with complaints. I think you have to have owned troublesome AMs, managed them all with a smile and own other nice reliable cars to drive in order to be able to handle such disappointments. I think you really have to baby those temperamental older models. I got over my AM fetish.

Good luck.

daytona355 and dustman like this.
  11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Oh geez I think I bought a 2010 DBS....

Sent from my 16M

daytona355 likes this.
  12. Ravipatel1975

Ravipatel1975 Rookie

Jul 24, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks so much for info. I better start saving hotel keys now. Geez.

13. Ravipatel1975

Ravipatel1975 Rookie

Jul 24, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Gorgeous car and great info. I’ve pulled the trigger and am doing virage coupe. Hoping to enjoy it for a couple years and continue on the wish list of cars.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. Ravipatel1975

Ravipatel1975 Rookie

Jul 24, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks and appreciate your thoughts and insight. I’m gonna get the AM out of my system and then go toward a cali.

daytona355 likes this.
  15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Life's all about creating experiences and memories. They're beautiful cars. Go for it! ;)

daytona355 likes this.
  16. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Congrats! Look forward to seeing pictures...

daytona355 likes this.
  17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    daytona355 and SVCalifornia like this.
  18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  19. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Beautiful car! Enjoy in excellent health!!

20. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Ravi, can I ask how you are going with your Virage? Prices have crashed in the home land of England so am considering a Virage Coupe for a bit of fun. Would value your personal ownership experience. I am not sure how it would compare with my 612 HGTS (or any of the 599s or the V600) but intrigued to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

daytona355 likes this.
  21. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Just as a counterpoint to all the doom and gloom about aston reliability, my wife has just sold her 2008 V8 Vantage and in 4 years of ownership, it hasn’t missed a beat. I did a lot of research before buying it and was aware of the major weaknesses affecting Astons and I didn’t come across anywhere near as much negativity as I’ve found on this thread. I’m not dismissing the experiences of people who’ve suffered during Aston ownership but simply trying to say that IMO, they aren’t as badly put together as this thread makes out.

Long before my wife got her Vantage, I also test drive the Virage and DBS. They were stunning looking cars but the driving experience left me cold. It didn’t feel much different from driving a super saloon and I wanted more than that. Ferraris give me that - it’s an undefinable feeling which leaves a smile on my face every time.

Now that my wife has traded her Vantage for a Cali, it seems that she’s getting a lot more looks from men and a lot more venomous looks from women. Jealousy is a terrible thing and the Ferrari definitely generates more of that than the Aston does.

599_GTO and daytona355 like this.
  22. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Hi ANOpax,

Thanks for the very important personal perspective and experience here... most interesting.
    Also interesting to note that the Virage and DBS seemed bland... especially surprising for the DBS. I am going to try and drive both myself and see how they compare with my 612 and the 599s and see where it leads me.

Reliability issues aside, what is clear is that the driving experience of a modern Ferrari can’t be matched by a modern Aston Martin, and the allure of a Ferrari by the public eye wins every time!

23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting, as I posed a topic of potentially trading my DBS for a 599 as a DD. The DBS is such an elegant car to look at but it is “slow” in comparison to say a 599.
    That being said, I love to drive it to work and not get into too much trouble speeding. The exhaust note is aggressive.
    I just don’t think I could daily a 599 to work... maybe too fast, and too many looks.

Sent from my 16M

599_GTO likes this.
  24. Sarastro

Sarastro Rookie

Jan 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Al Reev
    great feedback! How was in the end your comparison with the 612? I owned a Rapide, an FF and a Cali n/a and now considering either a 2008-2012 DBS or a Scaglietti. Your opinion would be very appreciated. Thank you very much