Canandian Car Less Desirable | FerrariChat

Canandian Car Less Desirable

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dgerland, Mar 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgerland

dgerland Rookie

Jul 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    David Gerland
    I'm considering my first Ferrari and have been looking (with the assistance of a broker) for many months and haven't been able to find what I want. I have however located a car that is in Canada that was originally built for the Canadian market. I realize I will have to pay the import tax to bring it into the US and am willing to do that if I can get the car for the right price. But I have been told that a non-US car is less desirable and it would be more difficult to sell (and at a lower price) in the future if I decided to get rid of it.

Looking to find out if that is a generally held opinion or a limited view of the market.

Appreciate your input.

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Which Ferrari model are you looking for? The USA has a enviable selection of any Ferrari you could desire?
    There are simple changes like day-time running lights and Canada starting in 1977 used kilometers for mileage and also speed numbers. The only question might be maintaining the warranty. Canadians who import USA Ferrari models have to pay a fee to get a letter of clearance that any Ferrari recalls are completed. There is also the issue regarding Tanaka air bag recalls to.

3. dgerland

dgerland Rookie

Jul 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    David Gerland
    Looking for a red F430 spider stick.

4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #4 of2worlds, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    I know you said you wanted a stick but for this money I would get an Italia. More modern design and much improved over a 430.
    Don't know these two 430 Spider cars specifically but a big price spread for the mileage difference!

Dupont >

2007 Ferrari F430 Spider
    $189,500OBO15,240 Miles

Image Unavailable, Please Login

• Attention investors! Immaculate 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider for sale. This car is a true 3-Pedal 6 speed manual transmission with gated shifter mated to a 4.3L V8. This 60 anniversary edition is...
    Owner

2007 Ferrari F430 Spider
    $265,000OBO6,500 Miles

Image Unavailable, Please Login

• 2007 Ferrari 430 Spyder convertible with an actual STICK SHIFT - not an F1 shifter, a real manual transmission in the true sense - gated shifter. Naturally aspirated Ferrari Engine, along with...

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  6. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Once it is imported into the US, I don’t see what the issue is. Lots of countaches and TRs I see for sale in the US are Canadian. IMO it will make it easier to sell, since it will be easier for Canadians to import it back.

I have a gate 430 Spider... funny enough it is a US vehicle. :D

DrewH, I'm 360 Canuck and of2worlds like this.
  7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    And it will smell of poutine o_O

8. davenichols

davenichols Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 8, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    I have imported many cars from the US into Canada and from Canada into the US. I have found that for the most part the people that like to discount a car because its "Canadian" or "American" are usually dealers talking about trade in values. Dealers are always looking for an excuse to devalue you the trade-in you have brought to the table. AS long as the history is complete on the car, I can never understand what the issue is. Some Canadian older Ferraris have an advantage over their US versions, for example, the 512 BB's. Canadian cars never had to comply with the same DOT conversions at the time of import as the cars entering the US did. They did not have to have the doors cut open for braces and other modifications.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Now I’m craving for one

10. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I don't think a Canadian car is an issue at all. I bought one in the US that had originally been sold in Canada. My dealer said they were fully supported here. When I got it I took it to them and they completed a couple of outstanding campaigns (at no charge) that the previous owner never got around to doing. My speedometer is in miles, of course, and the daytime running lights featured required in Canada was turned off. The only remnant is the climate control labels are in C. But by always keeping a powerful laptop computer in the passenger seat I have managed to cope :) Actually, that can easily be changed, too, if desired.

11. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't know if this applies to 430s but Canadian cars have to have bumpers that can withstand 5mph/8kph hits without damaging the bumper. When importing 355s from the US to Canada the bumpers would have to be modified. Canadian cars exceed US standards not the other way around. Just change the odometer and drive away.

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Is that still necessary if you bring a 355 into Canada?

13. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't know. My guess is yes.

14. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    2019 minus 15 years....everything up to 2004 should have no issues going into Canada

15. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Correct, if it is older than 15 years, you do not need any mods. You will need to pass a federal and provincial inspection to check wear items and make sure the car is safe. Flood vehicles are usually inadmissible for example.

16. davenichols

davenichols Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 8, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    A few years ago Canada brought all their bumper standards inline with US standards. Bumper modifications are no longer needed coming into Canada from the US.

DrewH likes this.