The Testarossa on the Grand Tour | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Testarossa on the Grand Tour

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Actually it would be 2wd Diablo; Less weight, no front wheel drive, no powersteering, no ABS.
    It is said that 550 Maranello was delayed because of Diablo and I really think that partly true, one being that Testarossa got so many orders, but because Diablo was surprisingly good car.

Then there is one thing that not come up on this site so often;
    There is difference between cars sold in Europe, compared to those specified to USA market, even with Testarossa; different power output, different fuel system and exhaust, not to forget weight.
    With Countach that gap is even wider, for most living in US have never drove carbureted Countach, without all heavy parts and straight pipes and that really makes difference. For Europe even 25th aniversary Countach was made with carburetors, being one of last cars to sold with carbs.

2. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    U are correct

3. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    I agree tr is the best driver. Countach will always imo bring in more money less made the tr is so undervalued when a tr is nicely tuned it’s a dream to drive the countach a work out

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Both cars belong to Harry Metcalfe of "Harry's Garage" fame. He talked about the costs incurred in the cars' preparation for the taping about 3 months ago.

5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

James May is fickle as ever. He used to trash BOTH of those cars as did Clarkson. At least Clarkson is consistent with his dislike for the car. Although on a very superficial and lame excuse of a reason. "because they're slow and difficult to drive?" He was smitten with the 550 Maranello and 348. Never driven a 348 but it does have a reputation. 550 Maranello is one of the most boring sports cars I've ever driven/owned. I liked the nod to the differential with the rolling start, that was pretty funny.

Jakuzzi and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

May always hated the countach though.;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    why can't I find this episode? Is it in Season 3? Does anyone know the episode number?

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Season 3 -last episode

ChipG likes this.
  9. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Clarkson didnt seem to hate the Testarossa when he originally reviewed it for Fifth Gear while sporting an afro and leather jacket...

10. Natkingcolebasket69

I thought that was the 348 he reviewed dressed like this?

11. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Youre absolutely correct. My bad.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

I have my moments;) I Rmbr he loves the 348 and then later on said it was made with wood tires lol
    I think u have to drive those cars with period correct driving feel, if u start comparing with new stuff that’s game over.

turbo-joe likes this.
  13. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

The TR still making a head or two explode even 30 plus years since it's inception. Don't care what Clarkson says, or any other bozo has said for the 20 years the TR was on the outs. It's the ultimate and coolest Ferrari of the modern era, period. TR and countach have been the heavyweight champs of the world, from day one and still are today. Slow and outrageous? How about Excess show and Beautifully ostentatious? She's too much for you to handle Jeremy, move along :)

Makuono, xplodee and turbo-joe like this.
  14. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    At least they did not drink all the [Differential] Kool Aid and say phrases like: "It's not IF, but WHEN your differential WILL break". ;) :)

15. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Who cares, the Countach looks like it was built in a shed in the South East of England.

16. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    I like my 550 Maranello to drive and I like to drive my F512GTB with a 512tr engine. Both are wonderfull sportscar but different sisters. Both from 1997. The 512tr motor/transmission from 1992. The F355 engine was boring....The weight of the Maranello is more, but the six speed is faster as the five speed. The sound of the Maranello with X-pipe is much different to the 512. On track is the Maranello much easier to drive...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Natkingcolebasket69

That f355 with a 512tr engine is worth a thread!!

ChipG, ferralc and xplodee like this.
  18. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

What's an f512gtb? The Maranello I had was outfitted with a capristo exhaust and was quiet as a mouse. I installed an x pipe on it with the hope of making a difference and it barely opened it up. Ended up removing the cats and going straight pipes before I could hear anything.

19. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  20. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

I’d like to see what riffledriver has to say about the statement Ferrari allowed the conversion lol

22. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    the 512tr motor/transmission was from Ferrari Auto Becker Düsseldorf. Ferrari comes for looking to the one off Project,
    but it made no sense for Ferrari to build an old engine in a new car with only 5 gears instead of 6 gears. In terms of exhaust technology, the engine was too old. He fits in perfectly. Only the bonnet was changed and widened at the rear. F40 tank cap ... Serial production made no sense to Ferrari, also because then a model had only one engine, in contrast to today such. at the Lusso.
    Ferrari donated but a special engine software with different timing

Jakuzzi and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

Wunderbar;)

24. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    It is the last 12 cylinder real Ferrari. It has power steering, good aerodynamics, good electronic chassis good aerodynamik, F40 tank cover, in the rearview mirror you can see the engine, you can hear the suction through the openings in the side windows, Brembo Grand Turismo Brakes,
    I'm so looking forward to load the 512 on the trailer and attach to my Rolls Royce to the new trailer hitch. Then I drive to the Nürburgring with the team to drive the first lap on the Nordschleife together to show the 512 the track before he goes on it alone ...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login