California Cars - Emission Issues | FerrariChat

California Cars - Emission Issues

Discussion in '308/328' started by rocket50, Mar 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Wondering what kind of affect the CA emissions control has on 308/328? Should I just avoid CA cars or is it easily corrected and not something to worry about?

2. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I had the previous owner get me a passed smog certificate or no deal. It passed easily and runs great.
    I bought my 308 in California in 2017.
    I also verified myself all smog equipment was installed. No missing smog pump belt, cats present , all air injection components present, etc. I wanted a totally original / correct 308. I researched what the 308 should have and purchased a correct 308.
    No strong HC smells from exhaust.

3. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Thanks Richard.

I am trying to find out how great of performance decrease there is with the smog equipment intact and if I would be better off avoiding those cars.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Aren't US cars 50 state? I thought the smog pump and cats were all US cars after a certain date.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #5 Brian A, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    As I understand it, removing the emissions equipment will have negligible impact on performance.

There will be a small reduction in weight which would be beneficial but the change to the power the engine delivers will be negligible. Modern cats cause negligible back pressure.

The biggest problem for us living in California is the smog test process; test centers don't know our rare cars and they are not listed in Gov't dbs so their default reaction is to flunk them. I'm not defending the system, but the California smog test requirement is much demonized.

The thing we lose in California is flexibility in how we modify and tweak our cars. We are restricted to what the smog test centers will pass, which means changes that look bone stock and still have the car blow compliant numbers.

Buying a car from California would not cause a problem for you. In fact, California cars are by necessity, very well maintained ... at least from a engine-tune perspective.

vaccarella and rocket50 like this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Total non issue on a 328 and very little on an injected 308. The problems arise with the carb cars. Many if not most have been desmogged to some degree or other. In some cases it was a poorly guided attempt at more power but in most cases it was done because of the inability of so many to keep it all working correctly or just not wanting to be bothered. Traditionally it was easy to cheat the system. I could get smog certs done on telephone poles if I wanted to. That is getting harder. The real problem is California is already requiring a 308 carb car to pass more strict standards than what the car was designed for and that will get worse. The state has no interest in vintage cars and would be perfectly happy to see them gone. You are the enemy to their goal of environmental nirvana and given enough time they will run you right over. If living in California is what you really want do not buy a vintage car.

rocket50 likes this.
  7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The problem cars (of all makes) in California are pretty much in the '76 to '79 range which, for 308's (as Rifledriver pointed out) are the carbureted cars. The emissions equipment of that era was complicated, cumbersome and difficult to maintain. It's difficult to get carburetors to behave across the whole range. You can tune them to run perfect and clean in normal operation but throw in cold starts, dropped throttle deceleration and wide open throttle acceleration and it takes a Rube Goldberg mess of contraptions and a bunch of compromises to get them to be compliant. Fuel injection solved all of that for the most part. The emissions equipment on a QV is pretty simple, even simpler on the 328. Most of the complicated looking stuff (hoses and canisters) are just the vapor trap and recovery devices and don't affect performance.

rocket50 likes this.
  8. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Thanks guys. Makes sense. Appreciate your knowledge.

9. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    This may be the case for US market cars (328'sand injected 308's) but is not the case with Euro cars imported into the US and modified for US emissions.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Why I always advise against grey market cars. Little to no good reason to buy one.

11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    My present 78 carb 308 had no problems passing California smog test, but it does have only 17k miles on it.
    I had a 76 and 79 308 and had no problem passing California smog test.

PPI and smog test a must prior to a carb car purchase, if living in California.

12. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is exactly what I did. My California '78 carb GTS was wonderfully kept by the PO. It was in noticeably better condition than any I looked at with a more local origin. And it wasn't just the engine tune. Eg, the quality was immediately clear to me from just looking at the condition of nuts & bolts in the engine bay. All confirmed by a glowing PPI. The paintwork is certainly showing its age but I regard that as a minor issue easily dealt with in due course.

rocket50 likes this.
  13. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    All the USA specification 308's/328's were built to the same specification, there is no special California specification car.
    The 76/77 carburated USA version 308's had no catalytic converters from the factory. Even with twin air injection pumps, they are very difficult to pass the latest California smog test. The carbs must be rejetted so lean that the car will barely drive in order to pass. Due to California's arcane laws, you cannot install cats on a car the didn't originally have them. The later 79/79 carburated USA spec 308's came from the factory with catalysts and pass the test if the engine is running well and the cats are in good shape.
    Later injected cars will pass no problem if the cats are in good condition and the car is running properly. The latest 328's with closed loop lambda control and a cat has the best power and will pass the emissions test with flying colors.
    If you don't care about emissions, then a Euro-spec dry-sump carburated 308 is the way to go for power.

rocket50 likes this.
  14. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Anyone know what s/n range the cats started showing up in the carb cars?

15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    You mean no good reason for a Californian to buy one, right? The euro cars are fun and simple. Brought my car from the UK and registered in 15 minutes, $99 for two rears...in Arizona. So to me, no good reason NOT to buy one.

308 milano likes this.
  16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    As Motob posted, it's by US model year, not SN:

US 1977 and before = no cats (but better power with more aggressive cams)

US 1978 and US 1979 = has cats (but have less power due to detuned cams -- they had to detune the cams to prevent too much unburned fuel from getting into the cats and overheating them).

17. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I’ve owned my 82 Euro for almost 10 years and it has passed smog each time. I agree with others here that CA expects you to ride the bus and has no appreciation for classic cars. The environmental impact of a classic car driven only a few hundred to few thousand miles a year is so negligible as to be unmeasurable. But the policy isn’t based on fact and logic.