Gearbox sump plug debris | FerrariChat

Gearbox sump plug debris

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by belfry, Mar 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    My wife noticed a slight grumble/ whine from the gearbox on my Mondial t. I changed the fluid this morning and there wasn’t much on the sump plug except the normal small flakes. I test drove the car just now and there was a distinct whine (sounded a little like an old-fashioned supercharger), so I drained the new redline fluid and found all this debris on my sump plug.

Is there a chance that I might have saved it in time??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I hope so! Do not drive it any further. What year and mileage is your T?

There are some similar threads on this topic in the 348 section if memory serves me correctly.

3. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    One notable person that I recall experienced a problem with their 348 gearbox is Daniel of Ricambi. He might be the right person to ask/discuss with and point you in the right direction for parts.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It needs to come out before you do more damage, the big bits sounds alarm bells with me

Rifledriver likes this.
  5. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    The car is 66,000 miles.

There is a 348 gearbox thread that talks about "finger nail clippings" size fragments, which perfectly describes the fragments on my sump plug magnet. I think they pointed to the oil pump bearing.

I have strained the oil that I drained from the gearbox and there are no more fragments in there.

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    The long slivers look like gear teeth. Push, pull or drag it for repairs. do not drive anymore. When you have two gears and something tries to go between them it is like trying to compress a liquid. Something has to give.

thorn likes this.
  7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Needs an internal visual inspection, asap. Don't drive it.

8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Please let us know what happened and possible cause.

9. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Looks like a bits from a pin bearing.

Jim

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

10. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #10 jknight, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    This sounds identical to the situation I had with my T coupe several years ago. The transmission was steadily "eating" itself.due to what turned out to be an old unresolved manufacturing defect. The end result was a transmission rebuild. Expensive but necessary and it completely resolved the problem. Do not drive it and have a competent mechanic take a good look at it. Good luck.

11. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    How much did it cost Jknight and who did it?

12. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    It needs a rebuilt, like I had to do for my 100,000km Mondial T too. The internal bearings are worn, give a whining sound and have to be replaced. Prepare for a big budget job, especially finding the bearings is very difficult and will be expensive.

13. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas

14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks J. I have dealt a little with Norwood a little and got a good vibe from them.

15. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Best of luck.

16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I don’t need any work done. I’m just getting a feel for a “what if” situation.

17. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Long pieces, if made of Aluminum,,, are Aluminum threads.
    The other contaminants are iron filings. From.......?
    Could be normal wear ......?

Good luck.
    Eduardo

18. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Any updates on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    The back of the gearbox was taken off today and the input shaft ring nut had become loose and is causing the whine. It will be a day or two until we know if this has caused any damage internally. We will also inspect the clutch for wear.

20. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Hopefully they can tighten it back up and it will be good.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    When we opened the gearbox we found that the play in the shaft was not coming from a loose ringnut, but instead a clip has come off the shaft. There is no sign of internal damage to the gearbox. I guess this accounts for the debris on the magnetic sump plug.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I fail to see how the missing circlip caused a symptom in any way like a loose ringnut. That shaft is splined at each end and excessive end float, while bad, shouldn't cause your symptoms. Additionally your debris looks nothing like the remains of a circlip.

It is apart, I fear you have not yet found all of the problems. Keep looking.

alexion likes this.
  23. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I fear the same as Rifledriver. The last time I saw such debris in a T transmission the pinion gear was chipped. If the debris is metal you will need to make sure it has not mixed up in all your bearings. In the pinion gear story it was a complete transmission overhaul of bearings.

24. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    This photo just in... I was told that the bearing had 'collapsed' and that we should replace all on the bearings. The gears have been carefully checked and are all fine. I'm not sure how lucky/unlucky I've been?

25. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    An engine/transmission have only one mission and that is to selfdestruct. I would say you are Lucky :) All the brass that is in there could have been very well damaged too.

Like I mentioned, replacing all the bearings is unfortunately a must in these cases. But all will be good I see and when it is put together it will sound/drive like new. the transmission that is. :cool: