any1 recently try a different stereo in their FF | Page 3 | FerrariChat

any1 recently try a different stereo in their FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ttforcefed, Apr 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    That would seem logical to me (loss of steering wheel control) but its also worth asking the experts as I remember someone once upon a time made an interface for many after market units to work with BMW steering wheel controls. I wonder if someone has done the same for Ferrari??

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the guys at AI called for me - it may or may not work was the answer they got - I'm staying with OEM

3. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    that made my day. :D

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lol just trying to keep things real!

5. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yeah, you don't want to loose functionality. If you look at miles driven I bet you are way ahead of many!

6. jinver

jinver Rookie

Jun 3, 2016
    Calgary Canada
    I just upgraded the Premium Audio in my FF very similarly to what ttforcefed suggested but some different equipment. I did upgrade the head unit as well. Equipment added was:

Sony XAVAX 5000 head unit
    ACV Perzan steering wheel control interface
    Match Class HD 8 Channel Amp
    Blam Relax 1 Channel Amp
    Blam Signature High Resolution Tweeter 3/4"
    I really like to see the Metra DD Chrysler 07+ install adaptor Haha.

The install was done by Mobile Solutions here in Calgary Alberta. They plan their installs with custom made attach points to the original so that if I want to remove the equipment it can be done without sacrificing any of the original equipment attach points. You can not tell anything has been changed except for the different looking head unit. They checked the equipment in the car and came to the conclusion that the factory premium audio speakers were fairly good and only suggested a change to the front tweeters.

This is a night and day improvement over what was in the car. Better sound than my Burmester in my Porsche (which I think sounds great). Not too expensive really. Now I have CarPlay (nice to have, not necessary). The sound improvement is amazing. I still have the steering wheel functions that were available to begin with and when cruising down the highway not listening to the V12 concerto, I get to enjoy some other great sounding music from the stereo.

Image Unavailable, Please Login . Just what the FF needed.

Outrun, otakki, uhn2000 and 2 others like this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very nice! Congratulations!

8. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Hi Jinvir, What year is your FF. I have a 2014 and I totally upgraded the sound with new speakers, two subwoofers and amps, but have not touched the head unit yet, since I didn't see any good options.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. jinver

jinver Rookie

Jun 3, 2016
    Calgary Canada

My car is 2014 MY. I was not sold on a head unit either until they told me they would make the steering wheel controls work and that if I wanted to I could easily put it all back to stock.

MedinaCustomClassics likes this.
  10. McLoven

McLoven Rookie

Feb 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    MCK
    If you are looking for a decent infotainment unit, try Kenwood DMX 905s, It has Apple Car Play, Android Auto, Hands Free calling funciton, customize screen wallpaper (ferrari logo of course), etc. I had them wire the two USB slots to the center console. Thankfully, now I can charge the phone,without the cord in the dash, lol.

Once you upgrade to any unit, you will lose audio functions on the controls back of the steering wheel. Also, you will no longer see audio information (track, FM station, etc.) on the LCD screen in the instrument panel. No big deal, you will still be able to keep the reverse camera function in the right LCD, if you have that option equipped.

Have attached photo. Having 2 din frame built out of carbon, but taking a long time to complete. If you buy from Ferrari, the surround is about $6,000; if not equipped.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    A really good shop can retain the steering wheel audio control buttons working. My guys are able to do it fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Dumb question - where are the steering wheel audio controls?

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    In the back of the wheel where you wrap your fingers around the wheel

14. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Is that behind the turn signals? I felt something back there but didn’t realize they were functional buttons.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes and the cup holdet slides back and forth too

TriumphantTaco and baguns like this.
  16. KenJ

KenJ Rookie

Nov 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    KJ
    I just picked up a 2013 FF and it already had a Pioneer AVIC 8200NEX installed by prior owner, which does CarPlay and Android Auto and Nav. The car had the upgraded audio originally, but I suspect they added a new subwoofer, haven't really looked around the car too much to see exactly what was done. Interestingly, I dont get anything in the right display, but the steering wheel controls do work. I understand there is an interface to make it work (if you think about it, the original unit is at heart an FCA radio with the same pinouts, so if you may find adapters for a Dodge before you see it specifically called out for the FF). The flip down door is acting up, so I may see if the dealer will swap the newer W8500NEX which does wireless CarPlay/Android.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you dont get anything in the right display? have you tried running through the vehicle settings? might be an option to have it blank...

18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    When I got the car for the first time, I seriously thought the dealer or factory had forgotten to put in the cup holder insert...Duh. ;)

19. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    Good day,
    I am planning an unit change.
    Can you please tell that how to remove the unit?
    I dont want to damage the leather and plastic.
    Thank you in advance

20. ka50b

ka50b Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    IRVINE
    Full Name:
    zhiyuan ma
    andyrichter and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    The system might be old, but it sure is easy to use..

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    for this reason i was hesitant to change mine - but after testing out the pioneer im confident you wld feel right at home with it....

Caeruleus11 and otakki like this.