Mondial T reliablity | FerrariChat

Mondial T reliablity

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by KATIEPEPI, Mar 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KATIEPEPI

KATIEPEPI Karting

Jan 13, 2013
    Switzerland
    Over the last several years I have been considering a Mondial T as my re-entry into Ferrari. Having had very bad luck with my 355 Spider I am a little hesitant. I have located a 1990 black cabrio that I am thinking seriously about. Most things I read about reliability are a bit outdated and would appreciate current experiences.

Hope someone can help.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    All depends on the previous owner.

I am meticulous with maintenance and fixing things that break.

On the car you are looking at, a 30k is a must, nit just because it's expensive, but lots of things pop up 'while' your in there.

What is the maintenance history of the car?

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    To add, if everything works, that's a great start. In other words, a car that's been tended to.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I would say that the Mondial T cabriolet top is not as friendly for a manual top. Is that bothersome enough compared to an overly complex 355 spider top, only you can decide that. Both cars have their demons. You have to decide what demons to live with. A Mondi T is a less reliable as a package than a 348 as a package, but probably more than a 355 spider as a package. All three requires engine out service at 5 years.

paulchua likes this.
  5. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    We have owned our t since 2007 and it has never needed a tow, thanks in large part to two independent fuel/ignition systems. Gremlins show up from time to time in the Motronic engine management. Like any older Ferrari you have to drive it often, and operate every switch, every time. We are now 12 years since the last Timing belt change. I plan to do it myself this winter but then that's what I said last winter and the winter before that. I did replace the clutch/TOB recently as the throw-out bearing and the triple seals leaked and soaked the clutch disc. I still take it to the redline every chance I get. These are great cars but not Fast like a 355. If you are a DIY it is worth looking for a Motronic 2.7 that allows you to read the error codes by watching the Check Engine lights flash. This benefit has allowed me to keep ours running without a visit to a professional mechanic since having Competizione and Sports Cars sort it out after our purchase from Shelton Ferrari in Ft Lauderdale.

Dave

paulchua likes this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le

12 years on a single belt … wow.

7. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Wow indeed!

8. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    The car has had only one timing belt change in 2007 so that was a 15 year interval. The tensioner bearing and water pump are still original so I do worry about the car. I wouldn’t recommend anyone following my lead on this.

jjmalez likes this.
  9. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    What? Seriously??? While somewhat crazy, it's actually very interesting. Are you saying that the tensioner bearing AND water pump have NEVER been replaced on the car? How many miles are on the car? How many miles since the last timing belt change?

Honestly, it almost seems that you have a duty at this point to run it until the timing belt goes JUST to test it and create a data point. ;)

2cam

10. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    As for overall reliability of the T (or even the 3.2 and QV), outside of the fusebox, I don't see any particular area where the car is significantly less reliable than any of its contemporary European peers. I've had multiple air-cooled 911s over the years. They're often considered a paragon of reliability in the sportscar world. However, EVERY generation of 911 has some significant flaw in the motor design that can cause major ($$$) issues - headstuds that pull or break, timing chain tensioners that collapse, valve guides/seals going bad, case leaks, etc (this doesn't even include all of the water-cooled motor issues). The contemporary 911 to the Mondial T was the 964 and it had way more issues than the Mondial T has.

The biggest concern is the cost of parts to repair a Mondial when something does break. Unless you're able to cross-reference parts, the ones that you buy in yellow boxes with little horsies on them can be expensive.

2cam

11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Is that the ex- David Carradine car ?

My T suffered a couple of Bosch relays, and a fried boot-release solenoid over approximately 10 years.

A very well bolted together Ferrari for period.

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Problem is... on the t, there's only one belt for all four camshafts and the water pump. Lose the belt and you might as well replace the motor. :(

The other Mondials have three belts for the same.

13. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Impressive !

It kinda shows how well thought out and engineered this design is, in the real world.

Yet to meet a T owner in UK who has had an engine grenade but the 5 year belt / pump change is a wise precaution.

14. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Having had very bad luck with my 355..........do you mind sharing you experiences? I am looking at a 355 F1 spider for my next Ferrari and am researching the pro and cons.

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Pros: iconic sexy look, beautiful sound with Tubi or Capristo, 375 HP on tap.
    Cons: maintenance is higher than a 348 or a 328, some well known problems with well known solutions you want to have done, finicky spider roof.

Do a ppi, know your mechanic.

paulchua likes this.
  16. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Guys, I must admit even I probably wouldn't leave a single cambelt engine for 12 years. However this 3 year service interval on belts I feel is nonsense. I have a set of spare belts ready for my next 'mileage' based service ....they have been on the shelf for 4 years now.
    All the best Bell

jkstevens2 likes this.
  17. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Words from a master.......

18. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Yes, I'm impressed too. I went 17 w/o any issues whatsoever. I am getting old, I will probably do the next one on it's 29th anniversary.

Well, in my case there is NO previous owner. :)

No issues with my "t" in 29 years. Touching wood, but one of the most reliable car I ever had.

New, back in 1990:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Allen S., gsfent and paulchua like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    amazing!!

WilyB likes this.
  20. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    paulchua likes this.
  21. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Very cool!

paulchua and WilyB like this.
  22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    29 years old belt? Oh well, there is always that one outlier to stretch the bell curve out. You're it my friend.

23. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Belt changed in 2007 by Fernando @ Competizione. It's about time to do it again in 2019, just to be safe. ;)

gsfent likes this.
  24. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #24 SonomaRik, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Reliability?
    well, the engine is very sound. The only issues as 355 is engine out service is highly the norm.
    What I found in mine to be issues which you'll see in older models getting on in age are the Wheel bearings: very expensive and same used for the Testarosa.
    Other items that needed maintenance were the Fuse box, the top as mentioned, degradation of the top seal, front, marginal switches on console, power assist to steering, perhaps now the gas delivery system and the normal wear and tear of leather.

Most of these, save the bearing, have upgrades/fixes [fuse box and top leaver] and not a big issue IMO. haven't had it enough to experience gas delivery issues, but perhaps some can chime in via the 348 models [guessing the same].

Had a terrible time/experience with passenger side rear window motor, but have that addressed on an engine out just to make it easier and cheaper.

Had FNa install the booster for the starter that had a hot solenoid problem on a hot run, $80, and battery tender, another $80: Normal.

Might consider water pump while in there and bearings for cams but many will contest that [to me less expensive] replacement and peace of mind during majors.

Other than that, the experience was very nice. Same 2nd gear, cold shift exists, but only for first 15 min.

BTW my experiences mentioned are over five years ago. I'd expect to see them persist even more today.

paulchua likes this.
  25. Kjh

Kjh Rookie

Apr 5, 2017
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin H
    My 88 Cab went for 27 years and I replaced the original belts after I bought it ... Both belts and tensioners were in amazingly good condition with 30K on the car.... Not that it will go that long again but it is good to know they have made it that long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk