Whoa have Boxer prices fallen by this much? | FerrariChat

Whoa have Boxer prices fallen by this much?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Mar 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

This one needs a bunch just from the photos. So service, wheels & tires, probably tools, steering wheel and god knows what else for a car which is expensive to replace parts and service. Yeah it's possibly over priced.

I have been to this place twice in my life; 20 years ago and their cars were beyond needy and 2 years ago and their cars were still needy. Some here have said it changed, not to my eyes.

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just adding some documentation. Sadly, no chassis number is given. There is a "vin" number on the website, but the site does indicate that it is not the vin. Besides a 22xxx chassis number'd car would be a carb'd car and so would be way earlier than 1984.

As for the price... hard to say if it is a deal, etc without seeing and inspecting the car. Immediately one can see that the rims are non stock, non factory tires, a non original Steering wheel, and given the side lights... some level of US Federalization modifications have been done. That being said, the one picture that stands out to me is the engine picture. Here I see a somewhat tired and faded engine and engine bay which to me indicates an unloved car.

If anyone does enquire about the car, please post up the VIN or chassis number,

Cheers,

Sam

1984 Ferrari 512BBi
    Color: Rosso Corso Exterior with Boxer trim with Tan Interior
    Mileage:25K Miles
    VIN: ?
    Chassis: ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Interesting, never seen one with an aftermarket radio installled in the same location where the factory equalizer was located.

5. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    You've heard of climate zones on new cars, that's the sound zone. Left and right radios for driver and passenger zones.

willrace and turbo-joe like this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    :)

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Just to clarify, the ad does state it's not a real vin listed. So we don't know the vin on this car.

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    How funny, I've HAD those exact Boyd wheels on my Boxer for many years.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Hoping the trend continues so I can have a shot at one. Apparently, this one is not a great deal since the ad has been up 2 months now.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Realisticaly a good BBI without immediate needs is a 250kish car now. So were back to 2013 prices before the last big 145 runup.

That means Trs are 60-80k.

11. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    D'OH!

12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    $250kish for a 2 condition BBI was really middle of 2014. They continued to run up in 15.

13. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What do you guys think a 2 condition (no needs) BB is worth today? $50k over a BBi?

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Ok peak(14/15) was just touching 400k, maybe a few transactions.
    In early 13 I watched the black BBI at Autosport listed at 200 quickly bid to 230k.
    We're back to 13, and at the time that was a record price year. Prior tot hat Boxers had been stuck in the low 100's..

The period since saw a runup of spagehtti metal, just as we saw a runup of american muscle a decade or so earlier.
    Lost of cars got saved and redone. Now perhaps like American iron the prices will stabilze more or less where they are (30-40% off peak), and yes exceptional cars(very low mileage or totaly redone) will fetch exceptional prices.

The car market seems to run in 10 year cycles. We know that the BB one or two cycles ago was considered unsaleable and not a thing. Now BBs are considred one ot the great and a must have for a ferrari collection. So I would presume that somewhere in the next 8 or so years we will see another run, and this time with the BB as a collectable 500-750K is in the offing.

Frankly low prices means its a great time to pick one up, or a Tr.

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You are a year off. The black car at Autosport sold in early 2014. Eddie Karan sold a nice red / black 83 at RM Amelia 2014 for $220k. In Monterey 2014 another car sold right around $250k. A 2ish car is probably $250-260k today and seem to have settled there.

16. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  17. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agree with this.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Means the rebound is 1 year fiurther out.

What was the year the two BBIs that had spent a decade in storage sold for the high 300's.
    I think that same year a total rusted 246 as in there was no front end sold in the mid 3's.

Speculators are gone for now, (except in airccooled proche land), they'll be back, always are.

meanwhile last year we saw mint Ghiblis hitting over 300k and now back below 150k.

19. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That was Bonhams Scottsdale 2015. They sold for +/- $325k and $350k.

20. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Gullwing generally sells fixers, wouldn’t read too much into the pricing without knowing what it needs

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Yes those two ran enough to cross the block, were nice comseticaly but needed it all 50-100k to be great. So 400+- high point. I think there was a racing drivers car that went for 425.

To the extent an auction peak means anything and one can make comprarisons on cars off +-40% or so from peak.

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    As soon as they are back to 75k I’m buying one for ****s and giggles

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Don't hold your breath

24. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #24 ralfabco, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Soft market for several cars.

I missed the strong 2014 seller's market by a few years (a different car).

You may get a nice bump when F drops the 12.

The price for my X one-owner California car.

Those days are gone for good.

I could have purchased a beautiful 250PF coupe for the same dough.

Talk about dropping the ball on a classy lady.

LMK when I can do that again.