Cross-country shipping of your car | FerrariChat

Cross-country shipping of your car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MaranelloDave, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi all! Yes, it's another shipping thread. I need to ship my car from south Florida to LA and I'd love to hear some transport company recommendations. I have used Intercity Lines in the past for my Scud, but they can't pick up until the end of next month, which is too late. Has anyone used another large national carrier that they can recommend for cross-country shipping? Obviously, I'm looking for covered transport.

FWIW, I did a search but didn't find a recent thread with the information I'm seeking. In addition, I'm hoping to get the most up-to-date information I can as companies can change management, and a good company can turn into a less good company pretty quickly.

Thanks for your help!

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Loraine Aldrich
    Account Executive
    Bluestar Auto Movers
    2 S University Dr, #220
    Plantation, FL 33324
    P: 954-717-9884 x4800
    F: 954-945-3692
    [email protected]
    www.bluestarautomovers.com

I have used them 3 or 4 times from FL to WA and they were great to work with.

bball16 likes this.
  3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the tip.

Any other recommendations? Hoping to get a few and, ideally, a consensus as to one or more good shippers.

4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    In 2004, I used Passport (then part of Fedex) to ship my Alfa --- and got a long list of every flaw on the old car. ;)
    But they did good. They even managed to start a Spica Alfa that had been sitting for 6 months.
    Although their truck wouldn't fit down the narrow streets in my DC area neighborhood, so they had to drop the car a couple blocks away.

In 2016, I used Applewood, due to schedule. They also did well, but they don't go out west.

The real test of a car transporter is how well they make it right when things go wrong.
    But I haven't had a problem for a carrier to fix.

5. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

I used TFX. Very good, but not sure if they ship from US to US destinations..... for sure they will go from Canada to US and vice versa.

6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’ve used them about 30 times and they’ve always been great. Originally got them through FoLI.

7. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I've personally had great experience with Plycar and JP Logistics for enclosed transport to CA. Will be using Plycar to ship my 488 from SF to LA when it arrives most likely

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Why not just drive it cross country?

9. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I'm not nuts about Plycar. Had to use them when no choice. I would wait for intercity. Horseless carriage is another real good one.

10. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I agree! Nobody treats the car as well as the owner.
    PLUS, it should be fun and you you can see more of America.
    Bob Z.

11. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
  12. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Check out Intercity, a FerrariChat sponsor. They have moved the blue car numerous times including to/from the Pebble Beach win. A satisfied customer.

Best regards,

Robert

13. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi all, thanks for the recommendations. For those who recommend driving, there are actually two cars I need to get to LA and the distance is so far that it would require several days of time that I don't have right now. If anyone has further recommendations, feel free to join in. Thanks!

14. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Ken Gold @ GT Motorsports

Moved many cars for me .

15. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I used Select1 and found them to be great.
    Jay Colunga

Operations/Customer Service

888 West Big Beaver Rd Suite 350

Troy, MI 48083

248-972-8605- Direct

734-558-6299- Mobile

16. mikeswplt

mikeswplt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2007
    Lago Vista, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just had Best Auto Movers transport my first Ferrari from LA to Austin in a fully enclosed trailer. Did a great job and were available
    on short notice after all the other major carriers told me it would be 2+ weeks till pickup. They are out of Jacksonville, FL and can be reached at 904 220-5119 or [email protected].

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We had major problems with Intercity and Horseless for our Miami event. Nate at https://totalcaretrans.com did come through and was perfect! They are our newest transport sponsor.

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

They can all suck at any time. You are just lucky or you aren't. I just had my racecar shipped back from Atlanta. What a PITA! These guys are dumb as sticks and a 1/2 mill Ferrari is just a paycheck to them.

19. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Plycar did a good job shipping my car cross country. They were on-time, reasonably priced, and no damage drama. The driver was helpful too.

20. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
  21. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm sure you're right. Any good company or individual can have an off day. It is luck of the draw to some degree.

I was able to extend my pickup window and Intercity is going to take the cars. I used them a couple of times before without incident and hoping it will be that way this time too. Fingers crossed.

Thanks all for the input. I'll be sure to report any issues here (Intercity: Are you listening?).

22. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Has anyone used Passport recently? I used them two years ago and six years ago, both times were pretty much flawless. Maybe not the fastest, but the cars came in perfect shape. Leaning towards using them again from FL to OH unless I can be convinced otherwise.