Why such a low sale price ? | FerrariChat

Why such a low sale price ?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Mar 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe the "minor" damage in 1976 was a bit of a stretch in the description? The car did land in the postulated value range.

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I had to do a double take on that serial number as mine is 07924. Like the "gas" label on the chrome levers.

3. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    Auctions are crap shoots. Sometimes you don't have the right buyers and the item is sold for a faction of it's value. Sometimes you have two idiots with more money than brains and the item is sold for several times what it is worth. Those who know me know that I am, among other things, an art collector. I bought one of the finest examples of California Impressionist art for $250 at an auction. If anyone offered me 100 times that, I would laugh at them. I think whoever bought this Dino got it at a good price. There should be no regrets.

4. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    that's low in my opinion - does that 302k include fees? I have to assume it does

run time at an auction can make a big difference

but i feel that is well under the money

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It was generally not a strong sale.

6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I believe you must add the fees to the 302k....330ish

7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    We may be seeing capitulation after 3 down years. This seems super weak, so maybe the bottom.

8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Did anyone commenting actually see the car?

The cars needs love. Paint is old and needs to be redone and will need service / sorting to get roadworthy. You can see the photos of the interior and judge that for yourself. The price was 100% market correct.

375+ likes this.
  9. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    $302k was the all in number.

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Reflective of the offerings.

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Chris it would be easy to say that the best cars are not coming to market via auction, but the Jan Koum Collection was a strong offering and it didn't do especially well. What is your take?

12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Which car in particular do you feel did not do well? I didn’t inspect all the cars but of the ones I generally know the market on, I’d say the prices were correct. 964 RS result was strong, 964 3.8 RS was correct, 993 RS was light but the spec wasn’t great - no one wants the sofa seats and yellow is not the most desirable color for that model. Looking at the GT2 and GT3 RS prices they also seemed in line.

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Most of the cars struggled on the block IMO. 993 was light and 911R market must be tanking. Judging from David's comportment at the lectern they were disappointed in the results. And not just the Koum cars, I thought that the 289 Cobra was going to hammer in the 400's.

14. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris

I had a few cars on my bid list and passed on all of them because of condition. I know only enough about Cobras to know that the market is very nuanced. There was one at RM that sold for $1.8MM. Of the cars I tracked the prices generally seemed to be in line.

As it relates to the Dino in question, my prediction was $300k all in so I was pretty close.

375+ likes this.
  15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Let's be honest, this is an old, original owner Dino. That fact is ABOSLUTELY AWESOME!!!!

It is a very nice DRIVER TYPE car.

I haven't seen this car recently, but did a couple of years back. I heard about it coming to market last year. The transaction was handled by a well respected Sponsor (although I haven't seen mention of that), and the car wasn't fluffed into something it is not.

For those only looking at the auction pics, the paint is nice in person, but definitely doesn't have you think it is fresh. Honestly, the paint, as weird as this may sound to some, speaks volumes about the quality of this Dino. It is a survivor. It isn't perfect, but it is really cool.

The history file, documentation, "other junk", that came with this car, is even more interesting.

"Things I Would Have Done Different" - not that this matters much, but with the interior being redone with the Black/Red combo, I think that hurts. With the interior being redone, and the dash being left alone, that hurts (HOWEVER, AT THE TIME THE INTERIOR WAS DONE, the ONLY REASONABLE dash Mousehair was a Jet Black/Blue color and it looks TERRIBLE. I HAVE NO IDEA IF THE MORE "ORIGINAL" looking Mouse Hair would have helped or not).

I also don't know how it has last changed in the last couple of years, however, I doubt much.

As a Dino guy, this was something special. What isn't seen in the pictures, that came with this sale, is amazing and impossible to replace. Records, books, tools, original owner items, original correspondence, and all kinds off documentation. This stuff is impossible to replicate.

This is definitely a Well Bought Dino.

Yes, much needs to addressed, but not crazy stuff.

I hate to say this was a Well Sold Dino, but that is true as well. The original owner could have only dreamed about a price like this 10,15, 20 years ago. If this was a Dealer stock car, it could be a completely different scenario.

If I was a vintage collector buying today, and wanted honest cars, this was a great value. This isn't a car you would buy as a restoration candidate, but rather to leave as is, or address small stuff and then drive the crap out of it, as long as you have sorted all of the age related issues.

I agree with Chris, this is a special car, but the price paid makes sense.

Shawn

cnpapa24, Skippr1999 and Neelfryer like this.
  16. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
  17. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    The RM Dino was a very weak example. I wouldn't normally expect RM to accept a car of that quality, so must have been an important client of theirs that had other cars in the sale or did much business with them in the past.

18. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Agree... lots of weak cars this year, for that matter. Too many auctions, not enough quality cars.

cnpapa24 likes this.