What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista? | Page 12 | FerrariChat

What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F355 Fan 82, Jan 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Yes, the information is scarce but more valid than yours. Whatever I put down is peanuts...want the car and will get it. In fact thinking of getting the 003 as well and what you call a loan (forgivable one in that case) is much bigger.

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    A pure guess would be under 50 cars so far.

gzachary likes this.
  3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So pretty much every publication on the Internet who is writing about the car has been wrong when they say 250-300 GBP?

How on Earth is Aston Martin going to sell their low-end hybrid-aluminum v6 for $500K when McLaren and everyone else will be selling the same stuff for vastly less? 720S is $300K and already surpasses the proposed Vanquish construction. Everyone is going to have hybrid V6 with the same performance as this Vanquish for $350K all-in.

There is no business model where the entry level exotic car sell for $500K in 2021/2022.

4. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA

I don't want to perpetuate this...you are missing the point. That is the price point I have been informed of directly by AM, it's ok to me; I am getting it. If it comes out at a lower MSRP, I would be happier! If it comes out at the price range they have told me; apparently I am fine with it since I put my deposit(!) The fact is none of us know a firm price. The rest of the nonsense about a business model is irrelevant as long as there are willing customers like me 3 years before the car coming out!

RyanFoH and of2worlds like this.
  5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    What is the price point ?

Sent from my 16M

6. davide b

davide b Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2007
    montecarlo
    Full Name:
    davide
    300 k$ or 250k€ is thé loan... price no less than 875k£ for the am 003

plastique999 likes this.
  7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That’s what I was thinking....I was in an AM Focus research group and they were inquiring to us what would be a good price point....I said $250-290k. They are placing it to compete with the likes of the Huracan, 488, 720, etc. it needs to be slightly less than those in order to take some of the market.

Sent from my 16M

of2worlds likes this.
  8. morjo02

morjo02 Rookie

Mar 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Morales
    does F8 Tributo have the same exact engine as the Pista ?? if not what are the differences ??

9. davide b

davide b Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2007
    montecarlo
    Full Name:
    davide
    300 k$ is to confirm the order, not the price...

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You're talking about 2 different cars. Plastique is saying Vanquish will be 250-300k.

11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I counted 4 today at COTA for Ferrari Challenge, there might have been a couple more.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Vision will be $400k-$500k nicely loaded; but there is very little information about Vision. 003 will be north of $1.3M; $300k non-refundable required to commission the car...

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That’s gonna be tough for AM. I really love the design but $400-500k will be a tough sell. You are now in some very strong well-branded F and L cars (and Mac).
    AM doesn’t have the strength (yet) to jump out in that price range IMO. Needs to be $250-300k to compete.

Sent from my 16M

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Doesn’t that all depend on what they deliver? If it is a much higher performance vehicle than F8/Huracan/720, maybe with serious downforce and much more of a race feel then it would really sit on its own - a smart move from Aston. They already have cars that offer more road-going bias at a similar pricepoint to F8 so not only would they compete with F, L and M but also with themselves. If it was me, I would want my new entrant to sit in a very different space to the very well established competition.

Thecadster likes this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I can confirm this.
    Debating if should accept allocation of 003.

Thecadster likes this.
  16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, in 2022 when it's delivered, the 720S/Huracan/F8 replacements will also be much higher performance and similar prices still. The Vanquish concept doesn't have to compete with the cars now, it has to compete with the next ones -- all v6/v8/v10/v12 + hybrids with similar construction or better.

It's not about having road-going bias cars at a similar price point, it's about having the same type of car. DB11 AMR and Vanquish Superleggera don't compete for customers with 488/720s/Huracan. AM's cars at the $250-300K range are giant, heavy GT cars with back seats and a trunk. It's like saying Bentley shouldn't create an exotic because it would compete with the CGT in that price range. They are completely different niches.

The Vanquish concept is a 2 seater, very exotic looking, high performance car. It competes not based on price, but on niche. All McLarens are already CF tubs/monocoques and the Huracan is already hybrid CF/Al construction which will likely only get more and more CF. Those cars are also getting hybrid powertrains with 700-800hp by the time the Vanquish arrives.

McLaren's sport series is already a CF tub and aluminum body for $225K well optioned. The replacement will be a V6 + hybrid in a couples years. There is no way Aston can successfully sell $400-500K cars in that segment because the competition is taking note of the design. If AM can design an extreme car like the Vanquish, so can the others.

Don't forget the Aventador replacement as well. V12 + hybrid, will sound amazing, will finally have a DCT, and probably take a lot from the Trezo concept that is even more wild than the Vanquish. Those will be $450-500K. Going to be tough to sell an AM V6 hybrid against an NA V12 hybrid with a better brand and better materials.

If AM tries to sell these at $500K, they will officially have signed their death certificate. Their other models are not good and the company's financials and performance are bleak. Their SUV looked weird as hell too and we already know exotic SUVs are no guarantee. Bentayga flopped big time and Bentley is doing quite poorly financially. The Vantage has gotten mediocre reviews. If they don't sell a lot of Vanquishes and give their brand a pulse, they'll be swallowed by Mercedes in bankruptcy.

plastique999 likes this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    No it does not, the figures are not exactly the same - the F8 Tributo achieves the max torque at a higher rpm for instance (3,250 vs 3,000 for the Pista).
    I did not see the differences explicitly stated but I suspect some of the expensive lightening solutions of the Pista are not on the F8 (although the F8 has significant weight reduction compared to 488 GTB, so I'm not sure on what they could make savings).
    Most probably the electronics management and mapping are also different because the target "character" is not the same.

18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #293 plastique999, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    I have to agree with noone on most of his comments. I absolutely love Aston Martin (on my 4th with an ‘11DBS) for their elegant designs. As mentioned, they are a niche brand with a forte in design.
    But they are attempting to branch out into a new space - mid engine sports car (non GT). In the research group we were asked to rate this car against the 488, Huracan, 720 and 570. This is the market they are targeting. Well, none of these cars are in the $400-500k range and they have exemplary performance (720 smoking its competition in performance).
    Aston will not win in performance (Mac has this).
    They will not win in Racing heritage or branding (Ferrari)
    They mayyy take some customers for a different aggressive design and young customers (Lambo and Mac).
    The feedback we gave was that Aston has to stick with their forte of design and styling elements and they HAVE to price this correctly or else it will flop (like the Bentayga).
    I’m rooting for Aston but “Price is Right.”
    Sorry for OT (thought this was the Vanquish thread)

Sent from my 16M

arizonaitalian likes this.
  19. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA

Aston is distinguishing themselves from others with a hybrid power plant for the Vision in the mid-engine, mid-priced category. The car will no doubt have over 900hp combined. None of the cars you mention in the $300-$400k have a hybrid power plant under the hood. The next hybrid powered cars are Porsche 918, McLaren P1. F8 missed the mark but perhaps the next Ferrari to be introduced above F8 would be a hybrid car and perhaps priced north of $500k as well. Same can be said about McLaren...no hybrid in the line up below P1. Further, Aston is introducing new design language - the most modern of all - trickled down from Valkyrie - interior and exterior (including the amazing aero). 003 is a mini Valkyrie (Son of Valkyrie) and the Vision a water downed version of 003 for the masses!

This thread is about Pista... all indications are that $300k mid-engine category (for a new car) is gone. These days a fully loaded Mercedes S (AMG) class is around $300k, a Porsche Turbo S is around $300k.

So I let you get back to the topic!

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And neither does the Vanquish... because it's not 2022 yet. The Vanquish won't be distinguished at all. The 720S and 488 replacements are both getting hybrids in 2 years. In fact, pretty much every high-end car is. McLaren Sports Series, Porsche Turbo, Huracan replacement, Aventador replacement... they're all going hybrid within the next 2-3 years and the prices are all moving up only modestly as usual. They have to be hybrids largely due to regulation.

Remember, there is nothing fancy or that expensive about hybrids. The hybrid part of the car wasn't what made the P1 or LF expensive. What made them expensive was the rarity/brand, performance, and maybe a bit of the construction. Ford has a V6 pumping out 650hp.

The NSX is a hybrid exotic for $175K. Don't know if the Vanquish will have 900hp or not, but 800-900hp is will be a breeze for everyone being that they are already pumping out nearly 800hp from the TT ICE.

There is no indication whatsoever that the $300K mid-engine category is gone. Are you talking Canadian pricing or something? The F8 is said to start at $260K and the Porsche Turbo S is a mere $190K, which BTW more or less comes fully loaded. No idea where you're getting these numbers from. Pista is merely a cash grab. It's not the new norm.

BarryK likes this.
  21. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    you won't regret it imo, the 003 is a special car and will bathe in the success and legendary status of the Valk imo

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Given what some people are seeing in the tdf market i wld expect the pista market to be a blood bath in 24 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds likes this.
  23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    As above, Aston’s engine in the mid-engine won’t be distinguished from its contemporary competition. As a matter of fact, they actually asked us, which engine would we choose in the research group - and the 4 engine choices were the H, 488, 720, 570 as an exercise. This tells me they aren’t putting anything amazing in the engine. Aston’s production cars never excelled in performance. The mid engine will not be faster than its competitors F, L or M, whether at the future time it’s 800, 900 or 1000+ HP with hybrid. They will all have that. Price, too, may inflate to $400k or whatever, it’s all relative.
    My only point is that if Aston wants to succeed amongst its competitors, it needs to price itself below the F, L, M competition. These 3 brands already have the market space.
    However, I do agree that Aston’s design language with the Valkyrie is an absolutely phenom. Yes the 003 and the new mid engine keeping this avant- garde design will help them tremendously.

My approach to Pista? I would never pay well over MSRP. I would wait a few years to capture it at its nadir. I’ve done this with my 16M and Speciale. The Speciale obviously held extremely well for its own specific reasons (last NA yada yada). I waited 4 years to get it and as most know, the S with low miles still asks for over MSRP.

Sent from my 16M

of2worlds likes this.
  24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    What’s going on with TDF ?

25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Super high spec tailor made cars are depreciating way faster that traditional specs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk