Passione Ferrari Club Challenge Series for 2019 in the States? | FerrariChat

Passione Ferrari Club Challenge Series for 2019 in the States?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Jasonberkeley, Mar 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Just got this email from FCA. Anybody else here anything about this or have a link for more info?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

New Passione Ferrari Club Challenge Series

Dear FCA Members,
    You may have already heard about the new series from Ferrari for historics Challenge cars from the 348 Challenge to the 458 Challenge. This is a great opportunity for those that have genuine cars to get some great track time at some of the best tracks in the uS, get involved with Ferrari Challenge series at a lower entry point, and just have some fun. To get more infomation please contact your dealer directly.

At Club Challenge events, drivers will focus their attention on the clock, with a chance to measure against and beat their personal best time. Each customer owned Challenge car, fitted with telemetry devices, will record lap times, allowing the driverto simultaneously improve their skills on the track, while seeing how they compare to other drivers. Expert Ferrari driving instructors will additionally be available for one-on-one coaching offering driving technique workshops, in-car coaching, post-drive telemetry and driving style analysis.

In addition to coaching, each Passione Ferrari Club Challenge member will receive up to two hours of track time (per day) on each Friday, Saturday and Sunday of select Ferrari Challenge events, access to the Ferrari Challenge paddock and hospitality, and a bundle of driver gear including a Sabelt firesuit, gloves, shoes, underwear, helmet and an HANS device.

Please note that all historic Challenge cars will be welcome in this program, but only 488 Challenge cars will receive FNA parts-support at each event. All cars must be Ferrari Genuine with no modifications made.
    If a client really wants to feel, live and share their passion for racing, the official Passione Ferrari Club Challenge program is the perfect outlet!

Passione Ferrari Club Challenge Program Details:
    The annual membership fee of $9,000 includes:

• 1 year membership
    • 2 tracks of choice
    • Hospitality access at each registered event ford river and one guest
    • Passione Ferrari Club Challenge driver gear package
    • Access to daily coaching and telemetry analysis

Active members may purchase access to additional events as follows:
    • Additional 3 track Package: $10,500
    • Additional single track Cost: $4,000

The 2019 North American Passione Ferrari Club Challenge is as follows:
    • March 8 - 10 (COTA)
    • April 5 - 7 (Sebring)
    • May 10 - 12 (Laguna Seca)
    • July 26 - 28 (Indianapolis)
    • September 6 - 8 (Homestead-Miami)

What a great way to get the most out of your Ferrari. I hope you will join them.

All the Best,

Connect with us

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

[​IMG]

2. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  3. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Pricing isn't insane, but obviously it's basically Time Trialing. I am trying to figure out the "2 Hours per day" part - it must be "open track" vs. dedicated runs. It seems like they are realizing that they need to engage drivers that aren't going to buy a new on the run V8 car every time there's a new one to compete in the Challenge series.

I also received the email.

gatorgreg likes this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Strange haven’t heard of it until the FCA email. COTA this weekend on the announcement, but it isn’t included in the final weekend schedule. No promotion? There would have been 20 of us if we knew.

5. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Thats what I was thinking as well. Odd.

6. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Probably $3k of new driver equipment included so the pricing seems very reasonable for the package. 4 more weekends to go on the schedule. Too bad Montreal isn’t included for their F1 race. But back in the day there was a huge amount of paperwork to get the cars there and I would guess that with the Porsche races, Ferrari challenge, and F1 that there was probably no more time for extra cars. They used to limit the number of challenge cars that could go because of limit of space.

Robb

rob lay likes this.
  7. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Its not clear if they require that you give your older Challenge car to a dealer to deliver it to the event and maintain it.

Also wonder if there is a ‘no gear’ option to participate for those of us who already have high quality suits, boots, HANS and helmet.

308 GTB and rob lay like this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have asked Boardwalk, but haven't heard anything yet.

SoCal1 likes this.
  9. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb

I think it is a sponsorship thing where they want all drivers looking the same for PR and marketing. They also would want the official sponsors to not have competition since the sponsors are supporting the series.

Robb

SoCal1 likes this.
  10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #10 SoCal1, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    I have no issue looking like a clone.
    The hand my car over is where I get silly

Don't mind series stickers at all
    Ferrari original non modified is grey also

11. jfm_cdm

jfm_cdm Rookie

May 18, 2013
    Corona del Mar, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I checked w my dealer's race director and got some more info.

1) Basically, the $9K for two weekends is the tip of the Iceberg. Add in support costs - car setup and on the fly weekend repairs, telemetry reading and feedback, transport costs, fuel, tires, brake pads and other wearable parts and the cost adds up fast. For example, if I plug in roundtrip transport to the two nearest tracks - for me, Laguna Seca and COTA, I'm looking at $23K for that alone. All-in I'm estimating $35-40K per weekend once you have the car - call it 2/3-3/4 the cost of Challenge. Not including potential repairs from collision or other mishaps.

2) The 2 hours of track time appear to be the FREE LAPS session on the Challenge Weekend calendar.

3) And then there is the cost of the car. I was thinking "Hmmm...Maybe I get a 458 series car and use it for this and track days. Price is half the value of my Speciale and I wouldn't be putting hard miles on the Spec." But then non-current cars may not have parts support on the fly - break an important widget on Friday, and you're likely S.O.L. for driving on Saturday and Sunday. Makes for an expensive weekend sitting in the paddock.

All that said, I'm still intrigued and will likely explore further, I see it as a next logical "gateway" step for those who've done the whole Corso Pilota series and still cannot commit to Challenge for whatever reason. Call it Challenge-lite?

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If the entry fee is $5k, then my estimate would be $15-20k all in Dealer Support, Parts, and Transport.

I did see a 430 Challenge at COTA yesterday, they do appear to put them with the free laps which many of the Challenge racers are utilizing too.

In comparison I could run CCR for $10-15k a weekend all in because the entry fee was less than $1k.

I could run my Challenge is NASA ST2 or SCCA T1/2 for less than $3k a weekend because entry was $500, I transported and supported myself, and tire contingency programs I ended up with 2-4 free new tires a weekend.

Robb likes this.
  13. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I have my own transporter, as I’ve raced for years, and my own gear, and my own mechanics. Dont need to pay crazy money for what is nothing more than a glorified track day and have a bunch of people that dont normally work on my cars touch something that is set-up as I like it.

As much as it would be fun to be out on track with a bunch of other Challenge cars, i’ll take a pass. Hopefully more people with older Challenge cars will go to FCA track days. Up here in the northeast Pocono Sportscar always has a few older Challenge cars at all FCA events.

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Like other's said. I have my own transport, support etc

I think this is not intended for older challenge cars where folks are hobbyists

Oh well had possibilities :)

15. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Maybe one day they will have a Challenge catagory at the Monterey Historics. That would be awesome.

ewright, mclaudio and SoCal1 like this.
  16. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    the $9k covers two tracks. keep in mind that some of them - cota for example - are not easy track to get and cost a boatload to rent, especially over a weekend. so, simply having weekend access there is a pretty good deal. plus, some tracks, like laguna seca, will *NOT* have that stupid-as-crap-sound-limiting-meatball-twice-get-sent-home-flag.

however, you also get:
    * the full on hospitality - food, drink, etc.
    * ac'd drivers lounge (which is great for hot places!),
    * officiated timing (you will need to buy a mylaps transponder ~~ 200$)
    * they will provide your car a number sticker (you must use theirs)
    * dedicated coaches (who will drive your car, passenger/comment in your car, and analyse data afterwards to improve your driving)
    * branded racing attire: nomex underpants, undershirt, balaclava, full racing suit, helmet pre-wired with microphone, hans device and mounting brackets, drivers shoes and gloves. (but not socks!) (pls note also since this event spans multiple days, you may want to consider bringing additional undergarments)
    * pit/garage usage (though some tracks may run short of space; not sure how they will handle that)
    * track support/flags
    * invite to a saturday night party with all challenge race drivers, coaches, and a few additional vips from ferrari and fna.
    * super cool people to talk to, meet/hang with, etc.
    * total track time should be ~~6 hours scattered across multiple days and times.

so in a nutshell, there is NO WAY IN HELL you could get all these things for less than 9k. it is quite an insanely good value for all these things.

as mentioned above, you do need a homologated challenge car - but any model challenge car is allowed (so long as you can pass the technical scrutineering!) i would be a worried running anything less than a 458, but it is allowed (because i will come up on your 348 way too fast :))

some other things to consider:
    * you do need to have a ferrari dealer 'sponsor' you to go, **but you can go with private teams/tech.**
    * you are also, of course, responsible for getting your car to/fro, airlines, hotel, etc.
    * it is mostly open passing, though of course you're highly encouraged to do this on straights.
    * you can buy insurance separately for you car and/or transport (hagerty etc)
    * ultimately it's like an upper end hdpe type event.
    * as this is the first time club challenge has occurred in america (it's been in europe awhile), they're very open to feedback right now.
    * this is probably best for people who have at least done of corso pilota evolution or corso pilota challenge, unless you have already some good experience.

bottom line: tremendous value, great people, great tracks, great fun.

-----

operational costs, tires, brakes, blah blah ad naseum is NOT also included, but frankly this shouldn't really be surprising because that is where the real costs are. they do have a parts van there though which is pretty nice in case you break something or whatever and didn't bring your own spares.

Thecadster, Robb and JAM1 like this.
  17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Please note that all historic Challenge cars will be welcome in this program, but only 488 Challenge cars will receive FNA parts-support at each event. All cars must be Ferrari Genuine with no modifications made.

Translation - No steel brakes and original Ferrari CCM parts. .

18. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    Anyone going to indy or homestead ?