Try on a 308? | FerrariChat

Try on a 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SpeedyOmega, Mar 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpeedyOmega

SpeedyOmega Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi!
    For my entire life the 308 has been the dream. It's the coolest. I know a lot about them and have the money to buy one now.

Here's the thing-- I haven't driven one and I haven't sat in one as an adult. I'm 6'3" and it's one of those things that I want to make sure I can comfortably drive before I throw down $80k for one. As luck would have it, I saw one walking home from work one day, but although I asked nicely and friendly-like, the guy wouldn't let me sit in it (fine, I understand, I guess). That was the only time I've seen on in person with the owner around.

Wondering if anyone can point me in a direction to address this? I live in Manhattan. Are there any regular club meetings nearby where a 308 shows up reliably? Thanks!!

2. SpeedyOmega

SpeedyOmega Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I just want to add-- I only need to sit in it. Don't need to drive.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dave, I knew a couple of people that are over 6’3 and they said they can drive the 308 comfortably.
    Are you thinking of a GTB or GTS?

4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I’m planning on taking my GTB to the New Canaan Caffeine and Carburetors on Apr 14th. If you can get there, you are most welcome to try it on.

Otherwise I’m a little upstate so if you ever venture north of the city, we could try to organize something.

Regards
    David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I’m 6’3”, fit fine in a 308 and 328 GTB—i owned both. GTS, my head rubbed...!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
  7. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    If you find the fit in a GTB/GTS is not to your liking (i.e., too short or too narrow), you can always try a GT4. I’m 6’ and with the seat all the way back I can just barely touch the pedals with my toes, and with lots of lateral room as well. I believe Hans (here on FChat) is 6’-4” or 6’-5” (maybe taller?) and he drives a GT4.

8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When you do your trial fit be ready for an unorthodox seating position. When you stand next to it you'll notice the roof is about even with your belt line. Scoot your legs up in there and lean back way more than you're used to. If you can see all of the gauges inside the upper half of the steering wheel you're in the right position. When they designed the car on paper they warned that if you want it to look like that then you're gonna have sit like this. ;)

9. Baltz1969

Baltz1969 Karting

Apr 24, 2017
    Chula Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    Jose Baltz
    I have a 308 GTS and much easier to get in & out of it without the top. Also better visibility without the top. Southern California weather allows me to drive it without the top year round.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you get a GTS, sky is the limit:)

11. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I’m 6’2” and have no issues at all. You will fit fine the biggest issue is going to be your shoe size. Mine is 11 1/2 4e which doesn’t allow me to push one pedal at a time. Solution was to get a size 11 medium Ferrari /Puma driving shoe with pointy tips. Squeeze feet in those and all is well for a few hours. It’s important to release the shoelaces every hour to allow blood to flow back into the feet. You’ll know when as your feet will become numb at that time. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    I am 6’3” and size 12 shoe. 210 pounds. My shoes were the issue with driving and driving in sock feet made it quite comfortable.

Crowndog likes this.
  13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm 5'-6" and I have a very hard time getting in and out.
    The worst part is that after an hour in the car I need a chiropractor badly.
    Not very comfortable.

14. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    That's funny...me too RE getting in and out. It's a B***c! So much so, when I pick up friends, I don't get out. But once in, I can stay there through a whole tank of gas...very comfortable car for me.

15. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    im just around 6t but 7.5 shoe plenty room 328 pedal area drive socks on is better for me too

16. SpeedyOmega

SpeedyOmega Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yikes. I'm size 14.
    I don't get why so many Italian cars are so tiny! I'm ethnically Italian, too. Not fair!

Crowndog likes this.
  17. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    That may be your biggest issue. No pun intended.

18. SpeedyOmega

SpeedyOmega Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks!
    I don't know if I can make that in April, honestly. I sometimes go upstate (was in Woodstock last weekend, actually), but if you are a regular in New Canaan then maybe we can work out another time there too. I really appreciate it, thanks so much.

19. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I'm 6'3", 190lbs, shoe size 9. with the GTB seat all the way back I have no problems. Just take the speed bumps slow :) Driven the car up & back to Montreal a couple times with no problems. I'm 30 miles West of the city. It would be best to catch up after the salt clears the roads perhaps at a FoLI event. OilPalooza isn't happening this year so I dont know if they have anything before Dave's April New Canaan.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The first time sitting in it be careful you don't hit the stalk on the wheel. Its easy to do with your knee as you try to get int. Its fragile.

But I think you will fit -- barely! :)

21. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    That might be your issue But my neighbor is size 13 and he drove it ok in sneakers. Should be doable I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    My friend 6’3 sat in my 328 and his head was sticking out 2 inches above the windshield