512 BB question | FerrariChat

512 BB question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Feb 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    How important are matching numbers on these cars?

Would a gearbox change have an impact on value and if so generally how much of a value impairment is one looking at?

Obviously I assume one could very expensively have Classiche make a new gearbox and return the car to matching numbers but I would imagine the cost would be frightening to say the least.

If you had the choice of one with matching numbers and one without, assume they are both in the same level of condition, which would you choose?

2. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Always go with matching numbers Jacques if both are in the same shape.
    I still get comments on my shark dive while I was down there.

sixcarbs likes this.
  3. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Pretty much leaning that way, the issue is you cant really get away from the non number matching and the value implications.

4. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I would do my due diligence , see if you could trace history of car, find out if gearbox swapped because of mechanical issues or case destroyed.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    where can you read what enigne number and what gearbox number is matching to what VIN at a BB?

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    There is a book published by Nathan Beele about the BB and it lists chassis numbers, engine numbers and gearbox numbers. Ran these numbers through Ferrari Classiche which is how we discovered the gearbox change.

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Can you tell me what this book is called please ?

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I also like to know. may be ISBN?

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #9 samsaprunoff, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Good day Nick and Romano,

The author's last name that Jacques presented is incorrect. It should be Nathan Beehl and I believe the book he is referring to is "Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer Road Race by Nathan Beehl". The ISBN numbers are: ISBN 10: 0955564301 ISBN 13: 9780955564307. Below is a site that has some used copies:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=&an=nathan beehl&tn=ferrari berlinetta boxer road race&n=100121503&cm_sp=mbc-_-ats-_-used

I also found it on Ebay for a lot less:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Belinetta-Boxer-Beehl-Excellent-condition-Free-Shipping/283407093375?epid=1700707139&hash=item41fc610e7f:g:fb0AAOSwcf9cJm7M&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

Also, I will have to locate my copy to check, but I do not remember the book to have all of the various build and component numbers that Jacques indicated.

Cheers,

Sam

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    This begs the question; What on earth would necessitate a complete gear box replacement vs. a rebuild? It would seem to indicate further damage to some other components?

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Exactly my concern, whatever happened, happened very early in the car life from what we have managed to ascertain.

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Don.

Unless one has first hand or documented info, it is tough to say what happened. One has to remember that early on and not that many years ago Boxers were simply old cars and so maintaining the original components was not so important. Consequently it is possible that instead of repairing the original gearbox/engine/etc that it may have been less expensive and/or easier to simply replace the original with a used, already rebuilt, or new replacement. If only these cars could talk....

Cheers,

Sam

13. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz

Good point.....