What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F355 Fan 82, Jan 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Silver (not sure exact name) with dark blue stripes and dark blue Alcantara..

Yes I’m locked in (Rossa Corsa - never really considered anything else )

2. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Except that same engine is in the F8, jewelry and all. Will agree with you the Pista is head and shoulders above anything else that has come out of Ferrari's doors in recent years. Haven't seen the F8 in person, but based on the launch cars, not interested, just not sure if the $120K savings would persuade me to reconsider the Pista.

Anyone know when the F8 is scheduled to have another showing outside of Geneva?

3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Would have been great to see it at the first F1 for the season in Melbourne next week :) But alas only the Monza SP 1 is making its appearance :) Intesting it has similar dash to the F8 , new steering wheel also and LED's

boobernackle likes this.
  4. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    We should just relocate to HK!

5. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

What makes you think its 120K cheaper? The average Pista is 440K, do you really think the F8 will be out the door with all the options for 320k?

Not to mention the fact the Pista will ALWAYS be considered a "special"Ferrari whereas the F8 will be just another production car in 10 years.

Not many people dying to buy a 2004 360 but a lot of people want the Stradale. (And they gladly pay 2 - 3 TIMES what the 360 coupe would go for).

09Scuderia and theplanner like this.
  6. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Don't move just yet. When i was in HK few years back, their price is double US to start with cuz of tax, then a decent parking spot is another $150k to $200k usd. LOL!

of2worlds likes this.
  7. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    The F8 will have a base price of 3% higher than a 488 GTB and you don't have to load it with carbon options. Good spec Pista is at $380K-400K.

I get your point with prior special series, but those had MSRPs slightly higher than their normal models and did not share the identical engine in another car, hence greater exclusivity. Pista is a break from that tradition as it had a big price jump compared to a 488 GTB and the exact engine is in another car.

BarryK likes this.
  8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

While the Pista is a special series, it is not differentiated from the regular car (F8) by either low production numbers or design characteristics (as was the case with the older V8 specials). The production is likely to run to c3000 and the F8 is practically a Pista in design. That and the higher sticker price will ensure that there's no money left on the table by Ferrari for the Pista buyer.

Now if I was locked into a Pista like @dmark1 I would also feel necessary to defend the car and my choice, but I think the reality is that a lot of Pista owners/prospective owners (like me) feel that Ferrari has pulled the rug under the Pista with the F8.

theplanner likes this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You would have to consider many existing US customers were required to buy a Lusso, Portofino or 812, etc. before paying that 440K. That is significant whereas with the F8 a member recently posted that they spoke with their dealer and was told that with a good buying history you can get one by first quarter 2020 and someone "new to Ferrari" by second quarter 2020 if I'm quoting correctly.

No idea what the out the door cost of the average F8 would be but you would have to add the loss on the mandatory car(s) to the variance. I like the Pista but its not a numbered car like Special A or Monza so resale performance difficult to say with such a high total initial cost and given the inherent commonality with the 488 and now especially the new F8.

Resale timing has always been the key factor for buying new and I hope owners buy them to keep and drive but that's not been a common outcome. Add tax (potentially not swappable on resale) and a potentially lesser market overall and then the timing of selling after the BB's are driving around and it could get pretty tough. The Pista Pilota and Pista Spider will fair better than Pista coup but this could be a car you would have to sell well over MSRP to be good. Maybe near a numbered Speciale A which would be too tough a sell.

of2worlds, dmark1, theplanner and 2 others like this.
  10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    380-400k won’t touch anything but a bare bones no one would want it Pista.

Rrr1 and 09Scuderia like this.
  11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #236 dmark1, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Uh huh. Didn’t get an allocation did you? No need for hate.

Largest dealer in the nation got 35 Pista allocations among his TWO dealerships. There are 40 dealerships, and the US gets traditionally 35% of the run.

Do the math. 2000 cars

LOL ..not really worried about “defending” this...

Attached Files:

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    3000 cars, 2000 cars... who cares.The F8 is going to be more or less the same performance of the Pista and it is arguably just as good looking. Pista will be "speciale" in name only ;)

Ferrari will send test cars with regular Pzeros to make it look slower than the Pistas they send with Cup2 R.

wrs and BarryK like this.
  13. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Thank you for asking and I do have an allocation for a Pista Spider.

That doesn't make me incapable of making an rational comparison of Pista vs F8 without making needless accusations of any one expressing a view here.

wrs and of2worlds like this.
  14. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    Couldn't agree more, the F8 is nice but no Pista !

09Scuderia likes this.
  15. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    Lighter, better aero I don't think what ever tyres are on the F8 will faster

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How can you tell it has better aero?

17. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    Ferrari said it has more down force. Plus Pista is 1 second faster around their track.
    Rumour has it they held the Pista back so it didn't beat the LaFerrari.

18. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    Also spec a F8 with all the Carbon my Pista has and it will be the same money here in the UK. My 488 Spider with same carbon would have been similar money.

19. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Oh no, the experts here already know all the pricing... just ask them :rolleyes:

20. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Ok, them make a RATIONAL comparison.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Losses....Speaking of which, I suspect many that got on the PISTA list and whom placed the order to cash in, with the thought that they could flip for a £100k, won’t be pleased, This ‘stop gap car’, if that is what we can call it....personally I think it is much more than that but has maybe come to market too early and in my opinion (only my opinion) looks better than the PISTA, could damage the expectation of the privileged commercial PISTA buyers. The F8 in my view will certainly put a huge dent in the values of a PISTA, which in the UK have been marked up to £450k (from £320k) before they receive delivery.

The F8 on spec is 98% the spec of the PISTA, I would be very interested to see the Fiorano track times, and I suspect in the real world on normal roads, nothing in it, apart from one has carpets and a few creature comforts and the other doesn’t.

Time will tell, maybe this is why Ferrari only raided its very richest customers for the PISTA list. They can afford to be slightly disappointed, for me the Special series looks diluted given its replacement is almost the same but better looking.

Only my opinions....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  22. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Nothing new, that has always been the case with all the Special series cars.

23. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    F8 hurts the Pista owners who want to make some fast bucks. However, time will separate the limited series and production series. It’s quite simple to be honest.

Scudmsl likes this.
  24. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Exactly.

25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    All one has to do is look back to 2004 to see what will happen in the future to the F8/Pista comparisons. I remember back then most poo poohed the Stradale in favor of the 360 Spyder, calling it a stripped down loud overpriced car for wanna be racers.

Most preferred the look of the 360 better at the time, calling the CS a 360 with kit car mods.

Hmmm, let’s check their values today.

Forza Scuderia likes this.