Big drive tomorrow. | FerrariChat

Big drive tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kartboy1234, Mar 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Hey everyone, I'm driving my TR from LA to Sonoma tomorrow. Anything I should watch for? I haven't done this many miles in the car in a day before.

What's the farthest trip that you guys have driven in a TR?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    When you get to Sonoma, check out Oakville Grade Road. Very twisty. There were a couple parts of the road with less than ideal asphalt, though. It will spit you out around Oakville Grocery and Opus One.
    I drove from San Jose to San Diego and back. PCH is awesome, but on one of the legs, you might want to go through 33 Los Padres National Forest to 166 and connect back to PCH by SLO. Have an awesome drive!

3. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Thank you, I may have to take that detour. On the way up I may do a direct shot up the 5. I will have an Imac as a passenger for the ride up. On the way back I may see if I can pack the car with wine. Car should be running well, if not then I have fuses, tools, jumper pack and a tire patch kit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

VColin likes this.
  4. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Drove my TR from Baltimore, MD, to Asheville, NC, too many years ago. The way home was in one shot - 7.5 hours. No worries at all. If you do interstate the whole way, be careful as the speed will creep as it just loves to eat up miles. Enjoy it!

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I was going with my competition from my home to hamburg and the next day back. each way about 820 km and had no problems with my car, only with some other car/drivers going too slow and could not pass them as I wanted :)

enjoy the trip and you will feel how good such a long distance is for your car

kartboy1234 likes this.
  6. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    50 miles each way so far like brian says on some trs mines a bar hopper should be a blast driving the red head long distance have a safe trip

7. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Can't wait for the drive. It has needed a big drive like this. Should be around 1000 miles total. I'm interested in seeing what my mpg will be.

blkdiablo33 and Xtreme5053 like this.
  8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Depends on the speed but if you keep it rational you will be surprised how well it can do on I 5.

9. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Very nice! A few months ago I drove my silver 87 Miles Davis TR from Fort Lauderdale to Sheffield, Mass. 19 hours straights. A miracle I made it, given how rotted out the fuel lines turned out be once I got home (so much for that recent major service by the dealer down there..... ). Regardless, an amazing drive. It's made to cover long distance.

10. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Wow that is a long drive. Congrats on it.

11. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Good news, the car made the drive without any issues. I was able to go around 80 mph for most of the trip once I got out of LA. On my fill up I calculated 17 mpg. So not too bad. The drive was easy. I did hit some massive potholes and rain, but the car kept on motoring.

Clear day for a lot of the trip. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jpanz, VColin, raysur and 2 others like this.
  12. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sad to hear about this blown fuse. but good that you just could fix the problem by yourself :)

normaly everyone has spare fuses in the car. but what tools you brought for what to do?

sad to see the 308 without registration/license plate in the green :(

14. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I brought a full ratchet, wrench, pliers, zip ties, duct tape. The fuse is located under the fender in the engine compartment. So you have to remove two bolts to access it. I've had to replace the fuse a few times, it blows at random intervals.

15. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I have a ton of tools in the car

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    before I did the fuel-injection modification this fuse also have blown 2 times. but after the second time I put this fuse outside the box to change faster when it will blow again. but never had to change then ;)

so you have then a tool truck ? :)

17. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Yeah, I will do that. I was going to do that if it blew again. But it never acted up until today. So I will modify it when I get home. For now I will be the crazy guy on the side of the road elbow deep in a Ferrari.

18. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Is there a root cause for this fuse blowing?

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good question. the 2 times my fuse was blown has always been after I was driving about 3 km, stopped the engine and started again / wanted to start again about 5 minutes later. never found the reason :(

20. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Yeah I haven't found any reason why it would blow. Luckily the car worked perfectly for the rest of the trip. I drove a total of 994 miles and averaged around 16 mpg for the whole trip.

I'm glad I took it on the drive, made me appreciate the car a lot more. Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am very surprised the mileage was that low. On I 5 over 20 is the norm.

If you are talking about the fuse mounted to the Bosch protection relay that is not normal.

22. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I was going pretty quickly. 17 mpg of highway driving. On the way back I was going 85-90 mph with lots of passing. So I'm not expecting amazing mpg. The protection relay fuse was the one that blew, it only acted up once so I should be happy.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Funny, breaking down never made me happy. Cant help but think there may be a connection. 17 is poor mileage for I 5 for that speed. I have driven it in mine the same way and was in the 20's.

24. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Haha yeah I was expecting more problems from the drive. Well some traffic may have brought the average down a bit. I normally get 10 mpg around where I live.

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Long trips is pretty much all we use the TR for and in 2 years the only unplanned stop was for a flat tire. I will not keep a car that won't have that kind of reliability.

And I still think there is an issue with your mileage. 10 isn't OK either.