1983 BBi Restoration Starts | Page 6 | FerrariChat

1983 BBi Restoration Starts

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Enzo Belair, Jan 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Can't wait for a video, to hear that thing roar to life.

2. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    looking great- you're going to beat me to finishing though.....

3. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good afternoon everyone, well if you live in the eastern USA. For the past 6 days I have been in CA working around the clock to finish the car for Pebble Beach this weekend. Didn't know it was possible to assemble a car in such a short time. Still so much left to do but here are a few more progress pics. Zac is burning the candle on both ends trying to finish the rest of the assembly so the car can transport out tomorrow at midnight. THERE ARE SO MANY PARTS, I had no idea, a whole day just to assemble the doors.

Sorry Ludwig I need to beat you to the finish, the car needs to be at Quail on Thursday...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

davidoloan and VColin like this.
  4. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
  5. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
  6. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Looks great! It's been a few years since i went down to pebble but sure is fun. I might bring mine next year.

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Everything looks beautiful Scott. I will cross fingers for completion in due time before Pebble Beach. I am sure the car will turn heads!

Best

Peter

VColin likes this.
  8. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Did you get it done in time for Quail? There was a germoglio Dino at Concorso. In person the color looks even better.

9. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Totally late posting this but no we didn't make it for Quail. We had a few missing crucial parts that just didn't come in time. Zac was extremely close but at around 2:00 AM he pulled the plug.

The new plan is to take the car to Cavallino and then a few shows on the east coast. Now we can slow down a bit and be sure we finish the car properly and not in a rush.

Vince do you have a pic of the Dino at Concorso that you can share?

Anyone bringing cars to Cavallino? Paul?

10. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Well, Cavallino should be awesome. My car has been at Cavallino(through a prior owner) before and I hope to take it back in the future.

I didn't take pictures, unfortunately. The restorer turned out to be local to me and we got to talking. Here is someone else's picture of the car that I found online. Still doesn't do it justice. In person the color transitions well with every curve of the car, a little more yellow or a little more green depending how the light is hitting the car. Sort of how like the triple layer colors accentuate changes in contour. On a car with fewer curves, the color isn't as dynamic. On the Boxer, I'd guess that the rear 3/4 view would show all the variations in the color well.
    [​IMG]

11. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for the pic, the color looks great. I agree regarding the color shift, its dramatic in person and hard to capture in photo.

12. stevenschuh

stevenschuh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2008
    Gibson Island, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve Schuh
  13. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Rago Brothers is the name of the leather restoration shop that did my took roll pouch, contact below:

www.ragobrothers.com

14. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Beautiful BBi, Scott but as I peruse the thread and view the pics and read the accounts of your efforts, I am forced to conclude that the phrase "...so the project is not overly extensive" may only be accurately interpreted based on the "Oshry Scale." A whole lot of labor and love have been gone into this amazing project.

Thanks again for all your help and kindness on #166777. You are a gentleman and true asset to the Ferrari community.

15. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow, dreadful grammar in that post, sorry folks. Prime example of why one needs to proof a posting before submission. Hedwig Finkenbinder, my high school English teacher, must be spinning in agony somewhere.

16. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Wow Scott... Mark just informed of your restoration page of this beauty.

Amazing work. All beautiful so far, can't wait to see it in person when its all done.

17. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mark sorry I have been so busy therefore I have not been on the board for a long time.

When I made the statement regarding not being overly extensive I was on the outside looking in. Now that the process is nearing the end all I can say is nothing about this car is easy! Total respect for Paul, Zac and so many individuals in this section who work on restoring these cars. That said I am glad so many do, I think the boxer range are just magnificent automobiles, total rolling art.

Mark also my pleasure providing missing items for #166777

m2g2 likes this.
  18. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
  19. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
  20. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    mrmanny599, 246328458, LVP488 and 4 others like this.
  21. dmn23

dmn23 Karting

Nov 9, 2006
    That verde is just scalding hot. Congratulations and well done.

22. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Scott, I fully agree with your assessment --- rolling art. You and your team of talented "artists" have done your 512 BB more than proud. The 512 BB has so many parts and pieces but I am able to tell by examining your detailed pix that not one of those parts/pieces has escaped your critical eye. Well done!! Your passion for the BB is undeniable.

The very first BB I laid eyes on was the prototype on display in the lobby of the Pininfarina studio/factory. That was 1974. I had traveled from Spain to Italy to buy some parts for a Dino that had come into my possession. Although a mere 21 years of age, I knew what I was looking at was amazing art and something well worth great effort to acquire. I was not going to be deterred. Two years later I was driving my own 365 GT4 BB through the streets of Madrid (thank you Juan Quintano/Tayre). Sadly, my residency in Spain ended prematurely so my time with the BB was short in duration but it lead to a lifetime love for the BB and Ferrari. I returned to the States; the BB remained at Tayre in Madrid, Spain. I often thought of the BB. The amazing styling and the intoxicating exhaust note had a haunting effect on me. This year I was able to locate that very same 365 GT4 BB and enter into a dialogue and exchange of pictures, documents and information with the current owner (F Chat member also and a great person). The current owner directly succeeded me in ownership and has owned the car for 40 years!!! What a great story for such a rare, beautiful and amazing car...Ferrari BB, rolling art.

P.S. LOVE that photo with the praying mantis!!!!

pshoejberg likes this.
  23. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mark I love the story of your BB and the photos you shared with me of the car with its second owner. The F Chat community is such a rich tapestry of personalities, cars and the unique stories each car has with their respective caretakers. I hope these stories go on well into the future.

Thanks for your kind review of the work being done on the car. Although I have to say with every item done properly we seam to fine another one not. The car will keep me working, and that half the fun...

mrmanny599 likes this.
  24. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra