2018 ATLANTA ITALIAN CAR DAY | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2018 ATLANTA ITALIAN CAR DAY

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by AlfaRick, Oct 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I just spoke to the organizer, John Montgomery, and the City of Norcross will not close the streets for us...... so we don't have that option. And any rain today on the grass will make the City call it off for Saturday. It is out of the Show promoters hands , and up to the weather and city.... you know how those two things work.............. and it usually not good.

2. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
  3. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    This Saturdays forecast is for chance of rain at less than 15% from 10am to 3pm. Time to activate plan B and park on the main street rather than the park.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was told some time ago that the streets had been arranged as the option to wet grass, so what happened? The British use the streets for their Car Fayre, so why not us?

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    John Montgomery sent me this in a message in late November: "The plan would be to use the grass if possible but also have a contingency plan to be on the pavement in front of the railroad station like the British car day if we have wet weather." So what happened to the contingency plan?

I think I'm through with Italian Car Days. I can't put up with not having a "Plan B", especially if we cannot hold the event on a perfectly good weather day only because it rained a day or two before. I think we need to get out of Norcross and find a permanent site where weather won't be such an issue.

Oz-ATL likes this.
  6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    IMO, it doesn't even have to be the main street. It could be the side street by the park across the tracks. the lawn is lovely, but needs several days to dry out. Now that ATL is beginning to resemble the pacific northwest...well...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm sure we could armchair quarterback this all day, but I bet the promoters are just as frustrated as we are.

sjd

7. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I just got this from John Montgomery..... Norcross will not Close the Street for us. Nor let us on the Grass. Read Below.

Hello Italian Car Day Enthusiasts!

Heavy rain in Norcross, GA has once again fully saturated our show field lawn at Lillian Webb Park.
    Skies may clear by this Saturday morning but with no sunny days drying out the lawn in advance we can't use it.
    Norcross can not close the main street to traffic. Even if we got all their pavement parking spaces reserved it would compromise the safety of our show cars, sponsors and patrons.

Therefore we rescheduled to Saturday March 23rd, moving three weeks forward to the first weekend of spring.
    Let's have faith that weather will be great then and we will have a fabulous spring show! Registration is at the door.

Please see attached flyer and check the www.italiancardayatlanta.com website for any updates as the new date arrives.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, I think I'm going to drive there on Saturday morning, park on College St in front of the park, and entertain anyone who comes by who didn't know the show had been cancelled, giving them the new (hoped-for) date. Then at noon, I'll head up Jones St to Paizano's and have a nice Italian lunch! I suppose I can print up a few of the revised show flyer and hand them out.

Any of you who care to join me are welcome. If we can get a few cars it will be sort of a surrogate show.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  9. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Any excuse to go to Paizano’s is a good one! I’ll play it by ear (meaning, listen to my wife ) but I’d also like to get the car out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'll be putting my engine back in...

sjd

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Mission accomplished. Not finding any suitable parking near the park, and seeing that someone had posted a sign with the new date, I drove up the street, parked in front of Paizano's and sat in the metal bench out front. In the nearly 2 hours I was there I answered questions about the show from about a dozen people and handed out some of the amended flyers. I spent some time walking up South Peachtree St and visiting one of my favorite shops, Taste of Britain, where I bought a mug celebrating Grand Prix racing with an image of Stirling Moss in Rob Walker's Lotus 18!

When noon came I went inside Paizano's and had a magnificent plate of Tortellini Bolognese while watching the car. At least a couple of dads took photos of their sons posing with the car, and a number of people read the flyers that I had placed under the windshield wiper, though no one took any! I left the leftover flyers with the restaurant. So at least Norcross saw one Italian car on the day. Hopefully most of these interested people will return on the 23rd.

12. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
    Rain WILL be forecast for the 23rd in keeping with the trend and on the 22nd the rain will disappear.

13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    It's not so much rain on the day, it's parking on the lawn with rain the 4 prior days... It could be a banner day, and we still can't go on the lawn. (hence plan B)

sjd

14. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Sooooo. Saturday is looking to be sunny (SUNNY WITH A BIG "S") and 68. That being said (and because I've not been since my Pantera days') I'd be bringing the Ducati and, wanted to know what the final say is for where and such? (park/grass.....in-town paved...etc). THANKS.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Looks like the weather is cooperating and we'll finally get the show in on, what is this, the fifth try? Y'all come!

And if you know anyone who owns an Italian motorcycle or scooter other than a Ducati, please ask them to attend. I remember when we used to have 6 or 7 different makes of Italian motos, but often it's an all-Ducati show. Variety is the spice of life!

16. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Gee Jim....reading this.... I should stay home then?

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Heck, no! I never said that Ducatis weren't welcome; I just want to see all the other marques as well. I know they're out there because they've joined us in the past.

18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    You better come, I haven't seen you in forever!

sjd

4re308 likes this.
  19. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Loooooong time Steve...I will be there with a red Ducati ST3. (And BTW.....CONGRATULATIONS!)

steved033 likes this.
  20. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hi all I will be there with my two sons and a Ferrari from *****************! See you guys there!

kidryno and steved033 like this.
  21. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    How early should we get there for a parking spot on the grass? And how do we get onto the grass? Google maps doesn’t make it obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

kidryno likes this.
  22. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
    Follow their directions once you arrive; in the past they have had a ramp against a curb, and you cross the sidewalk and onto the grass. Arrival around 9:30ish

23. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    See you all there!

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I second that emotion!:)

25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll bet the boys have grown like weeds since I last saw them!:)