Murphy 87 Octane Ethanol-Free Fuel? | FerrariChat

Murphy 87 Octane Ethanol-Free Fuel?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Bigilo, Feb 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    A new Murphy gas station opened in San Antonio close to the intersection of Thousand Oaks and Perrin Beitel Road. I was happy to see Ethanol-Free gasoline for sale at the location. Problem is that it is 87 octane. I put 5 gallons in my 1973 Eldorado and the car runs very well with this fuel. My question is how would the low octane rating affect my 360 spider, I would like to keep Ethanol-Free fuel in my car because of the issues caused by the water in the ethanol settling out of the fuel due to infrequent use., but I am considered about putting in 87 octane fuel in a car that requires a high octane fuel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Wont work properly because of the high compression.

You can put an ethanol,stabilizer in the gas if you dont drive much.

You can also use shell gas high octane

Shell v power nitro plus

3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
  4. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
  5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Do they still sell octane boosters? I used to use them a lot in the 80's/90's. Buy the 87 and add the additive/boost. Curious they would have 87 non ethanol but they wouldn't offer a high octane non ethanol. Here in the midwest the only non ethanol is the 91 labeled "recreational" fuel for boats, small engines and collector cars.

6. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I am using Buckee's ethanol free 87 and adding VP Octane booster. Cheaper than buying Sunoco race fuel @ $13 a gallon.

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Much of the non-ethanol fuel is marketed for low compression engines such as lawnmowers and portable generators.
    Devices with long periods of disuse.
    Collector cars are a small market, in comparison.

BTW: that site tends to keep track of all the non-ethanol stations they find.
    https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp

8. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    It is very expensive on the refining and distribution side to offer another product. On the refining side, the product must be blended to spec (different from the RUL or PUL containing ethanol) and held in a tank until sales require it. A $1 million + tank now can’t be used for other products until empty. Not a great use of capital. On the service station side, a dedicated tank and pump is required. On top of this is the challenge of the transporter having to keep track of another product and not mix it up (happens quite often). Because of the product quality risks along the supply chain and poor use of capital there is not a lot of incentive for refiners and marketers to offer boutique, low volume products.

9. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    90 octane no etoh in my area. I add in a few gallons of cam 2 100 octane 9% etoh . on the road cant find 91 no etoh I get 93 with 10% etoh. Cant tell any difference when running. Always store with the former and stabil for the winter.