F12 LED wheel and lift question | FerrariChat

F12 LED wheel and lift question

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Ferrariski, Feb 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrariski

Ferrariski Rookie

Feb 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum; happy to be here. Hope to learn and contribute.

If I could hear your thoughts on the following...

I am in the process of buying a F12. Found the perfect one inside out with low mileage at a Ferrari dealership. The two options I wish it has are the LED indicator on the steering wheel and the front lift.

My two questions are:

• To those who don’t have the front lift, how are you dealing without it?

• Sales man told me a new steering wheel with LED (and matching red stitching) can be ordered from Ferrari. Yes, it will cost a pretty penny but it can be done. I am wondering: is it a “plug and play” type retrofit? I am hoping to avoid glitches and what not.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Gullwing likes this.
  2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think they are plug and play, but ask them for a fitted price.
    I would find a car with these options, there are lots for sale and get one with the lifter, if you only need it once, say for getting on a ferry or speed bump it’s worth it, by the way 812 is lower so I use it all the time over speed bumps.

Caeruleus11 and Ferrariski like this.
  3. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I honestly don't think the front lift is necessary. I used it on occasion but never felt like it was required, the front end has quite a bit of room without it as long as you are careful. I did have it on my F12 and I did order it on my 812, but is it needed? No.

Personally I also wouldn't bother with the LED steering wheel. I didn't have it on my F12 and didn't miss it. I do have it on my 812 but again it's not a requirement. Of course if cost doesn't matter at all you can upgrade, I just don't think it makes the car that much better personally.

These cars are great even without a ton of options. You are paying for the glorious V12.

Caeruleus11 and Ferrariski like this.
  4. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I have both options on my F12.. My thoughts are:

1.) Lift is not necessary until you need it, I would have thought I would not need it much, in 4 months of ownership - I have used it 4 times, and without it would have punished my front spoiler. So even if you think you might not need it, you likely will, or cringe when finding yourself needing it. Just yesterday was the 4th time I used it. Had to go to a neighborhood I did not know, turns out I had to pull in a drive that had a 4 inch lip/ramp. I would have likely dragged my front as it was an incline with a hump, no way I could have cleared it without the lift. I have had a lift on my lambo's as well. Honestly I would opt for it, as you don't have to use it, but when you need it - it is huge to have.

2.) LED steering wheel - I believe it is the most chosen option on the newer models from a number of discussions with dealers, you can turn it off if not using it (in the settings). I think it is cool, not a deal breaker.. But I have heard many times, that it could effect resale if you do not have it - if that bothers you.

ScottS, Caeruleus11 and Ferrariski like this.
  5. Ferrariski

Ferrariski Rookie

Feb 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you all for your feedback. I will ponder on this and decide. I happened to have found an identical F12 with that 2 options so I’ll see. At the end of the day, I agree it’s all about the V12.

Cheers

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. DaveMc

DaveMc Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I have had my 2013 F12 for about a year now. It has the LED lights but not the lifter. In my opinion, you do not need the lifter. The front lip spoiler is 5.5 inches off the ground. The rubber corners next to it are 4.5 inches off the ground. I have gone over speed bumps and steep driveways/parking lot entrances and i always go at a angle so the tire somewhat hits it first, and I have never hit anything. My Maserati Granturismo is a 2012 that I have had since new and now with 25K miles I have never hit anything either in all those years. It is 5.5 inches off the ground.

As for the LED lights, I think that is only really useful on the track.

Ferrariski likes this.
  7. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Get both options. No regrets!

Ferrariski and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. TomatoMan

TomatoMan Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    Agree get both options...... The lift you can't live with out. I use mine all the time since I have a low driveway and the car is lowered.......

Ferrariski likes this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Welcome! A lot depends on how you drive. I use the LEDs ALL THE TIME! :)

I barely use the lifter, but I like knowing it's there.

Ferrariski likes this.
  10. Ferrariski

Ferrariski Rookie

Feb 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you for the welcome and added feedback guys. Much appreciate it. Cheers.

11. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Well

There is this thing called confirmation bias. My partner and I both consulted on a difficult case in a cardiac patient. I suggested A. He suggested B - non exclusive options. We sent the patient back with these recommendations. The surgeon did both and the patient ultimately did well. Why?

Well I said it was my suggestion and he said it was his :). We will never know.

I have LEDS on all of my cars except my F12. I found exactly what I wanted except the LEDS. I do not miss it. But I believe the steering wheel is thinner. It is something that is plug and play when added.

The lifter. You don’t need it until you do. I use it ALL THE TIME. Not for low driveways but for going up Ramps with lifts. In our hospital if you come out of the underground parking without it you will scrape when you crest even if you go at an angle or slowly or crawl out. My F12 and FF have it. Even the shorter Cali can scrape if I don’t go very carefully/slowly. Without the lifter on the F12 or FF ( which is higher), for me, my cars would sit at home more.

So. It may be confirmation bias but I believe if you like to drive the cars and not worry about unexpected parking or ramps, get the lifter.

Good luck.

Ferrariski likes this.
  12. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I had both in my F12 and love both options. Getting both on my 812 as well. And just like one of the posts said the lift is not needed until it is. I don’t think you can be without it as it gives you a peace of mind that allows you to enjoy the car more. The LEDs to me are essential as I would like to push the car as much as possible and not have to keep looking down at the tach plus it’s what connects the car to its F1 cousin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ferrariski likes this.
  13. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    Welcome John. I’ve got both options. The lights on wheel are a nice touch and add to the atmosphere of driving the car for me. So I can recommend them. The lifter is invaluable when faced with a high speed bump or steep incline. Again, I’d recommend it. I hope you find a good example that you’re happy with, the F12 is an amazing car with a terrific engine.

TomatoMan and Ferrariski like this.
  14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    And don't forget loading the car on the lorry for a sevice, the lifter is necessary for that. Well it is for me.

Ferrariski likes this.
  15. Ferrariski

Ferrariski Rookie

Feb 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you guys for the additional feedback and welcome.

By some kind of planetary alignment coincidence, I found an identical car (more miles but that’s no biggy) with both the LED steering wheel and the lift. Loved both options very much. I don’t think I can do without the LED wheel after seeing it. Also was surprised how quick the car ascends/descends with the lift and the clearance.