Wax removal question | FerrariChat

Wax removal question

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ncjetskier, Feb 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just recently purchased a 430 which has a thin layer of wax on the car (water does not bead very well). The car does not need buffing as the paint and clear coat are in very good shape. I would like to put ceramic coating to seal the paint. Is there an easy way to remove the wax so I can put on the coating? Thanks for any help.

daliguy1 likes this.
  2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    50 percent alcohol and water

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That, or you could spend a little on something like Griots Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner. The alcohol/water mix should handle a thin coat of most any wax/sealant

4. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So, would I use the alcohol and water then wash the car with soap and water prior to applying the sealant?

5. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I’d do the opposite. Wash / dry first, then wipe with the alcohol mix using a quality microfiber cloth.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Wash
    Iron remover
    Clay
    Polish first to remove swirls
    Alcohol
    Ceramic

7. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sounds good. I will use RO water to mix with the alcohol. Thanks for the help.

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Jdubbya likes this.
  9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’d like to remove @wax from all FerrariChat questions, please.

:)

Matt

wax likes this.
  10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just to add to my posts here - white mineral spirits is something that I heard works very well ..some professionals say better than alcohol
    Although you think these is no need .. i would highly suggest the iron remover and clay bar before ceramic even if you feel you do not need to polish

MY 2 Cents

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I also forgot .. Dawn mixed with car soap will also strip wax

12. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Dawn is damaging to clear coat. It has micro beads which are abrasive and generate fine scratches and swirls.

13. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    Just polish it to remove any wax or sealant.

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think we are speaking about two different formulas

I can add that duplicolor wax remover can be considered as well

15. 12097

12097 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    Companies like Pro Form produce a product called “Wax and Grease Remover”.

Products like this are specifically designed for the purpose intended. They are powerful enough to remove the wax, but gentle enough to not damage the substrate. Given the many paint manufacturers and paint types on the market, ALWAYS conduct a test patch to confirm there are no adverse effects to the paint.

These products are reasonably priced and available through most autobody supply companies.

Hope this helps.

16. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Dawn dish detergent works very well removing wax and grease, then after it's dry you can use 91% Iso alcohol you can buy at the drugstore for a final wipe.

17. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Here's the thing... Dawn will remove wax through the physical, not chemical properties of the liquid.

Wax removers use the chemical properties, not the physical. They also flash off quickly and are neutralized with water or soap and water.

Streetsurfer likes this.
  18. daliguy1

daliguy1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Miami, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Jack Don
    Stop. Before you even think about applying a ceramic coating it takes a rigorous prep to clay, buff and prep the surface of any microscopic imperfections so as to avoid sealing them into the paint with the ceramic coating. Wax is not the only issue you have to worry about, it's want imperfections are under the wax now, before you contemplate any ceramic coating.I have been doing this my restorations for years.
    Let me give you an example that will undoubtedly prove my point, first take the cellophane wrapper from a any pack of cigarettes, then place your pointer finger an the one next to it inside the cellophane, and gently wipe the paint surface of your car. YOU WILL BE SHOCKED... your paint and current wax job which you feel looks great will turn you stomach when you feel all the imperfections on the surface you just wiped.
    That alone should give you an idea of why I recommend you make an investment and take your vehicle to a professional detailer that has experience with the application of ANY ceramic coating. You will remember reading my reply the moment you do the cellophane test.
    The car is a work of art and as such you would not try to frame any work of art on your own, you would use a frame shop.
    Follow my thinking? Do the test and you will be glad you did.
    Hope this works out best for you,
    Jack

19. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    According to my detailer here is what he says about this:

D'elegance Detailing 619-718-0031

"First lets address the "wax" assumption. Does the owner know without a shadow of a doubt it is wax, and if so what kind of wax is it cause there are different types of waxes? This will determine what methods can be used to just remove the wax. Now if the owner is talking about doing that for the purpose of putting a ceramic coating on it, I would highly recommend taking it to a professional because every amateur I have ever come across and even a lot of self proclaimed professionals do not know how to properly prep and install a ceramic coating. It is often times a meticulous process.

Now assuming it is a wax and you are prepping for ceramic coating, usually 9 times out of 10 even after I remove the wax it usually exposes scratches cause most waxes contain fillers which hide imperfections to the naked eye. So usually machine polishing/paint correction is needed anyway which that in itself removes the wax. So usually what I do is wash the vehicle with a shampoo that is designed to strip wax (if owner wants a waterless wash then I use a panel prep product that also helps strip the wax). Then I address any decontamination needed via the proper clay bar (most people use the wrong clay bar, and use it incorrectly which causes an abundance of paint marring which means more paint correction work that is needed), next is the particulate dissolver application which gets rid of contaminants a clay bar can not get. Once that process is done I do the paint correction application process which is tailored specifically to each car because every application is different. If you do not know what you are doing I highly advise you do not try to tackle this. If you do not have a good PTG, experience with correcting Ferrari paints, and solid experience and training behind polishing machinery then please do not try to do this on your own. Please take it to a professional. I can't tell you how many times I have had to fix those amateur jobs that they tried to DIY."

Hope that helps.

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I kinda summed up what professionals say above

21. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Except it is not accurate and neither is the order. Well according to a professional anyway. It goes:

"-wash
    -clay
    -ferrous particulate remover
    -paint correction (not just polish cause most applications will need much more than just polish hence why we dub this: paint correction)
    professional panel prep solution (better than IPA) or a complete wash again. I do not just use IPA cause often times it does not fully remove all left over residue -from the paint correction application. Best way in removing residue is another complete foam bath or if you need to go water-less utilize a professional panel prep solution.
    -ceramic or whatever paint protection you want"

22. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I saw the title and wondered what you'd done now!! :)

23. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #23 flash32, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Not debating you but if you look at some professional classes on detail I have the correct order ..searching the web it does seem like a common debate ..

My word "polish" meant paint correction .. but you are totally correct in clearing that up .. I may have caused confusion

A later post of my does mention using white mineral spirits or duplicolor wax Remover

So I think we pretty much agree on everything you said except for the clay vs ironx sequence

Any reason one should go before the other .. my thought is remove iron particles before clay to avoid more contamination on clay and possibly scratching car

Let clay remove any left over

And to be clear to everyone.. I am sure we both were including a rewash after clay ..

24. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Sorry I did not see your previous posts and was just going off of that one. I asked my detailer (D'elegance Detailing) regarding the clay and iron remover sequence. I have been through a lot of other detailers, and they are by far the best I have experienced. I think he has been in that industry for over 20 years and highly certified. Multiple certs from the IDA, Rupes, Meguiars, and multiple coating certs. So this info isn't coming from some newb in the industry.

"I know this has been debated widely across the board. I along with other industry leaders have personally done both ways for experimentation purposes to figure out which sequence is truly the best. Over several different types of vehicles, different applications including different paint types, different clay bars, different refold sequences, different temps, as well as different methodologies using both clay lubes and soapy water from the car wash sequence we all have found better more effective results doing clay first as opposed to a particulate dissolver first. Now there is always exceptions to the rule. That exception is if the vehicle or object you are working on has seen a high level of ferrous contaminants. Examples of these applications can be: train cars, vehicles that park right near train tracks or ferrous emitting industrial plants, and even equipment like tool boxes in a fabrication shop. These applications I would go straight to a particulate dissolver because of the abundance of high concentration ferrous particulates. So yes there is always exceptions to the rule, but overwhelming majority of applications would call for the clay app to be first. This is another reason why I ask these questions in my customer questionnaire process so it helps me in the diagnostic process.

Now why is the clay first? Because often times the ferrous particulates have embedded themselves into the paint and other contamination is covering that particulate. So if we were to do the particulate dissolver app first it would not even reach the underlying ferrous contaminants. So what we have seen is once we were done with particulate dissolver then clay we noticed an abundance of left over ferrous particulates. This is why we strip the application of all other contaminants first so the particulate dissolver app can be more effective."

Hope this helps.

25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thank you