DIY Ferrari 360 key rejuvenation | FerrariChat

DIY Ferrari 360 key rejuvenation

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bonefingah, Feb 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    If you're anything like me, it bugs the bejesus out of you to have hideously worn keys with a nice car. I hope this easy project will motivate you to make them look amazing again.

One of my keys is plastic and the other is metal. I removed the cavallino from both with an Exacto knife (easy) and sanded the plastic one. I masking-taped the recessed portion (where the cavallino came out), in order to later be able to glue it back in, without gluing onto paint (read: I kept the to-be glued part clean).
    I masking-taped the actual key part large enough to be able to hold on to the tape when the key was wet. Once sanded, I gave it a few coats of a silver metallic paint that also includes a clearcoat (in German, it was called metallic effect paint). I'm sure normal metallic paint followed by clear coat will work fine. Once to my liking, I clear-coated it a few times and then super glued the cavallino back. Done and looks amazing!

The metal one was a lot easier still. Dremel + Polishing compound and bit = matted, old key to mirror-like finish. Looks awesome!

See pics starting with the plastic key...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ChrisBR, fotostars and tifosi101 like this.
  2. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
  3. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Look great. A new winter project for me

Bonefingah likes this.
  4. LP360

LP360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Excellent work! I polished my spare key last week and the results were brill! I will be doing my main key when I get my car back from its major.

5. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    Nice!! Do you have a pic or two to share? :D

6. LP360

LP360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
  7. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    Nice job LP360!
    Please share the main key project when able!
    - Pete

LP360 likes this.
  8. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    Inspired by this thread I decided to refinish my key. I removed the cavallino, and stripped the paint. I then sanded the edges with a high grit paper on my belt sander and polished it on a rouge wheel. Once I got a good polish I masked off the sides and bead blasted the front and back surfaces. Very happy with the results, it almost looks like the original paint...
    Sorry for the poor pic quality... tough with a cell phone in bad lighting. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Looks better than oem....... can I send you mine :)

10. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    VERY well done indeed! Looks awesome!!

11. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    One4torque, If you are serious, I'd happily refinish your key. It was a very quick process and surprisingly satisfying. The only thing I don't know is how it will wear long term, so I cant make any guarantees, but it's a heck of a lot better than the crappy painted mess that you end up with after years of ownership. Shoot me a PM for mailing info if interested, no charge.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Performify likes this.
  13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    B dub - pm sent. lmk your favorite drink or smokes.

14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    while buying an f car in itself is a rewarding experience....... I must say I'm taken back by the interesting and generous people I've met with this marque.....

I just had my beat 360 key restored by Mr. BDubbs...... and it looks so good I shall put it aside for presentation and use my minty spare key..... thank you fellow car enthusiast.... you give me hope for this hobby..... there are good guys out there. Jeff

check out the polished sides..... which will be more durable polished... then the blended painted top/btm. reminds me of a guitar finish........ you really should do a blue-burst or silverburst finish..... that would be really special..... do a burst with the color of the actual car......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    Wow that is indeed amazingly gorgeous and generous! High-fives all around guys!

16. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
  17. Sergio66

Sergio66 Rookie

Nov 29, 2020
    Italy
    Full Name:
    SERGIO PANIZZA
    Veramente un bel lavoro!

18. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    Grazie mille!

19. sportdevices

sportdevices Rookie

Sep 17, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alistair PArker
    just picked up my 1st 360 (I've still got a Mondial that I've had for 15 years), the key pissed me off straight away so this thread is excellent, my key doesn't have a Cavillno see pick, where can I get one? will post picks once polished and restored
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Bonefingah

Bonefingah Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Cologne, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Linch
    Nice! Congratulations!
    Darn, I KNOW 100% you can get replacements. I've seen them for SURE but I'm trying to remember where...
    Lemme look around as see if I can re-find where that was.