The Porsche 986 Boxster Appreciation Thread | FerrariChat

The Porsche 986 Boxster Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by dave80gtsi, Nov 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #1 dave80gtsi, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Porsche 986 Boxster Appreciation Thread

This past summer I happened to stumble across a 2000 Porsche Boxster S for sale at a price that I could hardly refuse, and I’ve been playing around with it for the past 4 months or so.

This has become my first German sports car, and overall I am very impressed.

Comparisons to my 1980 308 GTSi are inevitable. Many more similarities than differences. Both are mid-engined, with the 250 hp of the Boxster S offering an advantage over the 210-ish hp rating of the 308. The Boxster offers a 6-speed stick vs. the 308’s 5-speed, so overall the Boxster offers quicker acceleration. Both interiors are nicely posh with tons of aromatic leather, with the advantage here tilted towards the Boxster since it is 20 years newer and thus understandably offers more in the way of mod cons. Both handle superbly, and the wide assortment of aftermarket parts available for the Boxster allow one to fettle it to their liking quite easily at prices far lower than one can find for similar 308 bits.

It can be easily argued that the Boxster is essentially an updated interpretation of the 308 concept, as built by a different car manufacturer.

But of course, nothing is ever perfect - this Boxster era does have its known weak points. Foremost is their engine intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing issue, and anyone who might not already be familiar with this concern need only do a simple web search to bring forth hours’ worth of reading. Fortunately this issue can now be easily sorted in the name of preventive maintenance whilst doing a clutch job, and mine will be suitably addressed in about a month’s time.

But the best part of these 986-era cars from a buyer’s perspective is their current low market value. They have essentially reached the bottom of their depreciation curve by now, and so one can pick up a nice example today for super short money. For example: mine is a mint condition (as you can see) 2000 S with 42,000 miles, and it stickered for over $60,000. USD when new. I’ve just bought it for a little over $11,000. USD. Add in a couple thousand more for the IMS issue to be settled, and you can end up with a very enjoyable ride for a total cost of less than $15,000. USD. What else available on the market today offers so much sports car “fun” potential from a similarly historic marque for this sort of money? Just compare these costs to the expense of a similar 308.

My Boxster has become my daily driver, which my 308 would never be, and I actually now look forward to the daily commute since driving this car is such good fun.

For those who would like to learn more: https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2015/10/Boxster-on-a-Budget---1997-2004-Porsche-Boxster/3749011.html

Thanks - DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 Michael B, Nov 15, 2016
    Yes I am on board. I currently have two 986 Boxsters. A 1998 that was originally ordered with a full complement of options, and a 2003 that contains some of the best Boxster features of all of the 986 variants.

However, I will admit that there are limited fans. I really like my Boxsters, but I am often alone with those feelings. I enjoy jumping in without opening the door. Tossing the keys to my pals for the weekend and not thinking twice. The sound of the engine from my "desnorkled" intake port. The toss-able handling, the relatively good mileage. Sure they are having difficulty holding value, but I still enjoy the ownership experience (and that comes after two IMS bearing update jobs and one replacement engine).

They are hard to beat at their current price point.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

2002 S - 6 speed.

Bought it about a year ago... cannot beat the prices lately even with the IMS Bearing that I had installed.

A kick to drive.

4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Not a 986, but I bought an 08 987.1 last summer and I absolutely love this car!

5. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    Have a '99 and they are simply a hoot to drive and very practical in a daily driver role.

Check the engine number on your 2000 'S', if it's an early production it will have the much more robust dual row bearing which virtually never fail (1-2% failure rate per Porsche).

6. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I had a 98 burgundy/tan for 3yrs, traded it in on an NSX, missed it so much we bought the same Boxster back from the dealership 2mo's later! Had it "again" for 4 more years then traded it in on a Ferrari 348 Spider. Missed having a Boxster and then got a 2008 that I've now had for 3.5yrs. They are all great cars. Put an aftermarket exhaust on them and you'll like them that much more!

7. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  8. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Had a 2003 Boxster S, was a great car! Just an all around great car and very easy to daily drive them!

9. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    #9 rustybits, Nov 16, 2016
    Wife had one for a couple years, and loved it. A 3.2 s in guards red. Cheap sports cars and good fun. She just sold it an bought a supercharged Lotus exige, which is a crazy little car!

10. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Excellent value and fun sports cars...very pretty and I always keep an eye out for boxster s ....thanks for sharing....

11. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Tempe, AZ, Westcliffe, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
    #11 Tamaren, Dec 1, 2016
    I love mine. I built an exhaust for it and just general small stuff, and at the track or on mountain roads it is a complete blast.

12. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I had a 2002 S for my DD, and sold it when my daughter was born. Miss that thing. Great car.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I had a 2002 base. I really liked the car and look wistfully at others on the road. IMS issues, cloth top and the cheap interior will keep down prices IMHO. Really liked her for the 6 years that I had her but in the end the oil leaks and the top wearing out.. wore me out unfortunately.

14. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #14 dave80gtsi, Feb 2, 2017
    New steering wheel fitted. The blue stitching matches the exterior color.

The combination of the flat bottom and the slightly smaller wheel diameter offers some much needed thigh clearance.

definitelysomeday likes this.
  15. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Not much action here, but I just got a 2002, so I'll post.
    It was so cheap (of course) I had to give it a try. Wow, I like this car. So far no major issues. I read about the IMS, but while an issue, I also read it afflicts less than 10% of cars.
    Mine's a base, but if all goes well, I'll trade up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    It is easy to update the looks of a 986-era Boxster by replacing the wheels with a set from a later 987-era Boxster, as shown below.

Perfect fit, no adapters required, nor any rubbing or similar issues.

DM

sjmst and spicedriver like this.
  17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Some things I like about the 986 better is that it has a dipstick, and a throttle cable. Those went electronic on the newer models.

sjmst likes this.
  18. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Nice, what size wheels? 18?

19. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Yup!

sjmst likes this.
  20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I believe on the 996 1999 was the last year for an actual throttle cable. After that they went drive by wire. I would expect the boxster is the same?