Changing oil filters | FerrariChat

Changing oil filters

Discussion in '360/430' started by delaney, Feb 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    I understand the logic of changing oil annually...acids etc. But what of the filter itself? My car covers about 1200 miles/year. It’s not a matter of cost as I’ve always changed both...it’s a question of why.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Probably no reason

Cheap insurance

Get every extra quart of old oil out

Some may say paper element degrades

Maybe others will have more concrete scientific reasons

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
    It’s all voodoo and speculation. Only purpose when driving little is to maintain resale value imo

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    While 2000 is probably right, voodoo, what are you saving/winning by not changing it? Seriously? The filter is cheap.

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i change my filter every 6000 miles. Regardless of time. be it 2 years, 3 years.

XLNLIFE likes this.
  6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have seen filter media fail that have been in service for a long time. While rare, it isn't worth the risk to me. I probably wouldn't have a big issue if you replaced the filter every other year, with annual oil changes...that seems reasonable.

J360M likes this.
  7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Why not? It's only $40 bucks or so..

8. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    It’s not cost. If it’s not needed why do it? And yes, I know it only takes ~ 30 mins...but I can do other more productive things....

No big deal. Just wondered that’s all.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    30 minutes to unscrew an oil filter and then screw another one back on? Ummm… it takes anyone with the filter wrench or hands 1 to 2. It's *literally* like changing a lightbulb.

If it's too much trouble to unscrew a filter and then screw a new one back in I got nothing for you... you probably shouldn't be servicing your car if it takes that long and you have more "productive" things to do. I don't know but to me lubrication of a highly stressed racing engine ranks as an "important" thing not sure what "productive" things out rank it..

10. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    120 seconds to change a 360 oil filter...any takers?

I’ve been servicing my own Ferrari’s for over 20 years. The 360 filter is awkward to get to and you need to remove an item or 2. Remove and replace and check for leaks and making sure you haven’t trapped a wire or 2...and I’m in no hurry.

I’m assuming you have an F360...and not an F150 ?

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    1. Place filter socket atop filter from above.
    2. Take 12" 3/8 extension and place into filter socket and turn counter clockwise with a wrench
    3. finish unscrewing filter and then tilt to the to right with left hand, reach under A-frame with right hand and remove.
    4. Replace in opposite order.
    5. Ask question on Ferrari chat to try to justify why shouldn't be done
    6. Shake head at Ferrari owners why they have the reputation that they do....

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Nope.. a Yugo. I use a sledge hammer for oil filter removal and one of these...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    You obviously need to win. Ok. Now have a peaceful day.

14. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Those filter socket wrench five in a kit from Harbor Freight don’t fit the 430 filter.

Evad likes this.
  15. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Just my 2 cents - the change your oil/filter every year is a myth.
    General exotic public/service centers says the same thing over and over, has to be changed every year because of water/acid content - which is typically vapored off after oil has reached temp. for a given amount of time.

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Timely comment Todd. I was reading an interview online of the owner of Blackstone Labs that does oil analysis, and he was asked about the necessity of changing oil annually in a car driven few miles and he said their testing shows unnecessary. He didn't give a guideline to what is recommended, but said annual oil changes is not required when a car is lightly driven. None of this would apply to coolant or brake fluid of course.

17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Got the same story from them .. and I believe them

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

18. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’ve seen rust formed on the inside area of the pot metal on a filter that sat for a couple years with fresh oil and no engine start. (Airplane)
    Fwiw

19. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Blackstone did a lot of testing for for me, concerning my product, and does some of my oil analysis along with ALS, I have a few posts on this issue in other threads. Have a classified sponsor ad so have to be careful with what I say in here.
    Very surprised that all the chat room "experts" are not all over this thread.

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Despite my protestations... To each his own. It’s your car be it timing belts or oil changes. Studies showed that mammograms could be done every 5 years with the same statistical outcome. The problem is, a life and an abstract statistical outcome are different... esp when it’s your life.

As with your car... do what you want and do what I want with mine. When it comes to my wallet, unless others will put their money where their mouth is, I could care less... Don’t complain when “it’s priced in” when you sell it....

flash32 likes this.
  21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    An interesting question, and I don't have a technical answer. Hopefully there will be more responses to the question that was actually raised.

22. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    I couldn't imagine not changing the filter when I change the oil in my cars. Period. If you've got a good enough reason to change the oil it follows that the filter should go with it. Having said that, my grandfather didn't believe in changing oil at all. He just changed the filter regularly, which made me cringe. He'd say, " It's still oil ain't it." It seemed to work for him, he was happy to add oil as necessary to his vehicles. When I tried to tell he's causing premature wear he'd shrug his shoulders and say, "We'll see who's bought the most oil at the end of the day."

vrsurgeon likes this.
  23. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    FWIW, back then (20y ago), filter was changed every other oil change in France... This was the norm. And I'm talking non-exotics. I wasn't privy to the F-world at the time ;-)

24. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I don't get it....$100,000 cars or more and leave a paper filter instead of replace? Filter's clog too...does it have a bypass if it clogs?...$30,000 engine over a $40 filter...really? are we debating this? I appreciate everyone's opinions and research but I choose Curt's attitude and change it...period.

25. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    $ wasn't the question. No one is debating $, but everyone who keeps pointing it out can't seem to let it go. IMO it was a simple technical question. Why can't people stick to what was asked rather than injecting opinion on a point that the OP never brought up.

Does your oil look dirty after 1000-1500mi, to the point where it would result in any significant restriction in the filter media?

Flea7, tifosi101 and f355spider like this.