I'm sure it's been beaten to death---lift or no lift? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I'm sure it's been beaten to death---lift or no lift?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RWC58, Feb 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’ve wandered about having the lift option as well and when I rented the 488 spider in Vegas I was very worried about the speed bumps in the parking garages because the rental didn’t have the lift. I had zero issues clearing the speed bumps in all the parking areas and drive ways I used in the Vegas area. That being said I think it’s like many other things I’d rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. And I’d likely put the skid plates on too just to be safe.

Viperjoe likes this.
  2. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    I use it a lot on my Speciale .

Peace of mind on speed bumps or ramps, I don’t care wether it had passed without lifter. Simply press it and you are done.

Viperjoe likes this.
  3. Robertliautaud

May 9, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Robert Liautaud
    Mileage is king. And I’m trying to rack up as many as possible before I croak.

barryr, of2worlds and sampelligrino like this.
  4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I drove a 458 for 8 months here in Florida. Didn’t need the lift once.

BUT...

I grew up in Cleveland Ohio and I know from experience there is no way I’d own one there without a lift.

All depends on your terrain.

5. Dr J

Dr J Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason Beck
    I have a 458 without a lift. Never had an indication to need the lift. My driveway even has a moderate dip. Obviously, if youre lowering feom stock, id recommend. Backup camera much more useful as an option.

SoCal to az likes this.
  6. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    If you aren't lowering the car, lift does not matter. Stock height is higher than most SUV's. If you decide to give it a decent look by lowering it, then yes, you will need a lift.

7. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I live in Western PA and I do not have a lift on my 458 nor have I ever had a situation where I needed it. I have an 812 on order and I ended up getting the lift. I figured with the longer overhang it's better to have it than not. I think with a 458 you will be fine without it if you really like the car.

8. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    458 doesn’t need a lift imo. I have a big curb/lip on my driveway and it clears no problem.

9. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    When you need it, you need it. I have one on my 458 and have used it mostly on huge speed bumps that neighborhoods put in to slow down traffic. Better safe than sorry. They get bigger and bigger it seems over time AND sometimes on a new route, you find them when you didn't know they would be there. Could I make it over some without scratching? Maybe, but I am very happy that I do not have a single scratch underneath. If you think you will never need one, then maybe you plan on never driving on roads or parking lots or situations that you have never experienced before. So far zero problems operationally since 2011.

sampelligrino likes this.
  10. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Why do you say true enthusiasts would never consider a lift ?

I guess it all depends on where you live.... personally I’d go for the lift everytime.... I rarely hear about problems with the lift system, and it’s proven more than useful on many occasions

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Viperjoe likes this.
  11. Austex458

Austex458 Karting

May 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Romeo Manzanilla
    Peace of mind. Think it of it as insurance.

12. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Maybe you and I have a different interpretation of what an suv is but I would say the 458/488 are no where near suv height as I can at least crawl under most suv’s And there ain’t no way I’m fitting under a 458/488. Like I said in my earlier post I neve experienced issues in the city of Vegas or any of the surrounding areas (Mt. Charelston, Hoover Dam, ect.) but there isn’t anything saying there aren’t larger speed bumps or steeper drive entrances. Since more then likely you won’t be ordering a 458 if it has the option it’s like added insurance, and I’m not sure it would help nor hurt resale unless you are someone on either of . extremes that it either has to have or not have it

13. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I mean the gap between fender and the top of the tires.

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The real turn off with the lift option is that you have to pay double as you have to take the leveling light option. Heaven forbid you blind an up coming car.

Either way I cant count the 100's of times I've just seen people crunch into kerbs when parking ordinary cars.

Just be careful and look

15. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Most of the time you will not need it. However, there will come a time when you will be thankful that you have.

16. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Oh ok, I didn’t catch that.

Smiles likes this.
  17. F12_fanatic

F12_fanatic Rookie

Nov 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mano
    about the lift.... true fact when you not option the lift of any ferrari you will see that it comes lifted and not lowered fyi. it comes lowered if you optioned the lift and most of the leaks comes from doing the lift while going over humps abit fast/or didn't allow the car to have its mecanic system finish from doing its thing while moving.

18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Multiple times a week I take my 488 on and off a lift in my garage and never ever have I needed to use a lift.

We have plenty of speed bumps and I have a slightly steep driveway- never ever have I needed to use a lift.

If you are unsure get it but for me it has not been necessary with my current OEM stock rims or when I had larger aftermarket rims on my car. Older pic- the Porsche’s are gone. 488 still here.

Baitschev and sampelligrino like this.
  19. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Don't need the lift on a 458.

Need the lift on a GT3 and Huracan.

SoCal to az likes this.
  20. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

interesting. Can you elaborate or how you know this to be true?

21. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Guys ultimate answer here
    I live in Hong Kong famous for tight underground parking
    Never once have I ever scraped my front if I enter slow and at an angle. Even in the ultimate urban environment with parking spaces going for 500k USD each you imagine parking will be tight, 458 at stock height without lift will manage, trust me.

Also no one has mentioned this but lift will add unsprung weight to your front. Not to mention another potential failure which you can’t really delay repairing if it malfunctions.

With that said, Hk speed bumps are standardized heights if built by government. Never had an issue either. You may run into issues depending on how high the speed bumps are of course in a private estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal to az likes this.
  22. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Must be telling if the 488 stayed and GT cars left!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I miss them. Will get a Touring again later. Am being good for the time being. :)

sampelligrino likes this.
  24. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    As a lot of members have stated, the 458 does not need a lift..

In fact, the front bumper is higher than my Yukon, and probably the same height as my Cayenne. My driveway is on a slope and I’ve never used it, I just enter at an angle and have never scraped.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SoCal to az likes this.
  25. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    you guys crack me up.