488 Replacement | Page 97 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Probably like for the pista: two units with different colours of the same car.

2. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    Two colors, as usual!

3. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Probably Rosso Corsa or a new shade of red. By the way that Lusso in Blu Ahrabian (PPG 181095) should look stunning!

Garretto and kandi like this.
  4. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    The gtc4 Lusso is equipped whit new package of security systems

kandi likes this.
  5. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Well, not sure how you know that much more than the rest of us? If you’re correct then Ferrari will have no direct competition for the Huracan Evo (or it’s replacement) or any of the 300-400k midengine V8 Mclarens (who are kicking ass and taking names in the performance department). Most won’t want to pay 350k plus for a V6 engine in my opinion (it’ll need to be spectacular to compete with the V8 competitors). That’s also assuming the competition doesn’t get better, which it will. I’m hearing the “BB” will be more like 700-800k from my sources (who are quite reliable) and I’ve been buying Ferrari’s for 15 plus years now. Like I said in the previous post, things are going to get very interesting with some big changes ahead. I’m sure Ferrari knows their market better than any of us and I’m sure they know what they’re doing. Too big a market for their bread and butter midengine supercar for them to mess it up. I would remind everyone, however, of the achilles’ heel Of the new Ford GT. Yes, it’s the V6 lackluster engine. If not for looks and strick production limitations that car would be nothing special imo.

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It is not all that dramatic. The turbo V6 ICE is a logical step with so much power coming from the hybrid system. They don't need a V8 anymore. I roll my eyes a lot reading this thread.

arizonaitalian and F2003-GA like this.
  7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    the "GOLDEN GOOSE"
    The Italians seem to think a Ferrari badge on a new looking V6 model will be enough justification to get buyers to replace their V8 cars!
    The scary part of that thinking is the Portofino (the first Ferrari introduced on the new platform) was not that far removed from the old California concept in design and function.
    Further Ferrari seems to think that they can basically double the price of a base 488 and sell a real assisted V8 on the new mid-engine version of the Portofino aluminum platform.
    There is a gaping hole in their plan that you could safely drive a 720s through...

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The Huracan i a V10 btw, so there is no real point...
    The Audi R8 V10 is also a V10 and the 458 or 488 were never considered inferior to it.

Automoblog likes this.
  9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #2409 Marcel Massini, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    I will never go south. No matter if hybrid or a million hp or what.
    If you drive V12's every day, why go down to V8 and then further down to V6?
    That is not gonna work. At least not for me.

It appears that the V8 Lusso is not really a success. V12 Lusso sells much better and not just in Switzerland. Biggest issue is lack of 4x4 on the V8.

Marcel Massini

Valerian, George330, crinoid and 8 others like this.
  10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Mister Massini , if we have a whole range including V12 ( hybrid) , V8TT hybrid , V6TT hybrid why should we complain ..
    Surely they have no choice but going this way.
    I'm sure these cars will be great .

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I agree the V12 is truly special - but for me what it means is that when you've made the step you don't care about V8 or V6.

day355 likes this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I too am sure these cars will be great, no doubt.
    But I will not be interested in a V6 or V8.
    Just my private personal opinion.

Marcel Massini

F2003-GA, Roland1688, crinoid and 5 others like this.
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've had V12 and V8 Ferraris. I like them both for different reasons. I'm not interested in front engine V8's at all, but a mid engine V6 turbo hybrid is something I'd like to experience.

F2003-GA likes this.
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The motori is the heart of every Ferrari and they are degrading the Ferrari myth with these excursions into the more common power plants.

The Icona series may be the last hope for the faithful but at what expense....

j09333, Roland1688 and day355 like this.
  15. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    I won't say the price figure you quote for the BB is completely out of the question but I still doubt it will be that high unless very reliable sources on here say so. And so far they haven't. For a regular production car made in effectively non-exclusive and unlimited numbers...therefore these are by definition NOT collectible...I don't think Ferrari would risk customers blanching at $700 or $800k for regular production 8-cylinder car no matter how fast.
    This car is not rare or exclusive and therefore it's going to depreciate like anything else. It also does not carry the 'who are you that you would be allowed to get that car' cachet of a limited number car. You are saying they are going to price an 8-cylinder car with barely 12% more power than an 812 at MORE THAN DOUBLE AN 812? I call BS on that sorry. There is maybe a 15% chance you're right at best. They won't risk customers passing on this car. They are going to price it to make it irresistible and create a frenzy for it. That to me says price it around $475K before options and they will be going out the door around $600k.
    I'm sticking by that prediction.

F2003-GA, ChrisDiRe and tekaefixe like this.
  16. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006

If you want to spend money for cars without soul, it s a respectful choice, but not mine...You ll just buy a badge not a Ferrari...
    No more V12 after 812 , just with hybrid reserved for Icona series !

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'll tell you what exactly Ferrari needs (at least in the US market)

It needs to get owners to actually start driving the cars they buy. Too many worry about depreciation and count every mile like it's gold. We need to end the idea of garage queens and collector cars that are made new and never meant to be driven.

If that means make more of a certain model so there's no point to hold it without driving it because it will depreciate anyway, so be it.

18. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Exactly. V12s are here to stay, just like the current TT V8s, obviously assisted by hybrid technology. And I honestly don't see what's the big deal about Ferrari adopting V6s, but maybe that's just me.

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Ferrari hangs a gorgeous new body on the old 812 platform and charges over a million dollars so a baby LaFerrari with a spaceship body on the new aluminum platform for 750k sounds like a bargain by comparison. All that without mentioning the premium over that list price that many low mileage 'in demand' Ferrari models continue to command in the marketplace.

20. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Huh? This coming from a 6x F1 world champion !! Mayor , you’re getting soft !

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not at all. I've been saying this for many years.

How much faster does a car need to go? When you get down to 3 seconds that's plenty fast enough for a street car.

22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Are we certain that BB will use an aluminum structure rather than a carbon monocoque?

sampelligrino likes this.
  23. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Ferrari has already stated that they will divide cars they build for, "driving emotion" from the sportier versions. They've been moving this direction for years with the 360/CS, 430/Scud, 458/Speciale, and the 488/Pista. Now instead of making special versions, both cars will be part of the regular lines, with the V8 turbo/hybrid as a regular range supercar.

The V6 turbo/hybrid will essentially be 1/2 of a LaF, and the V8 turbo/hybrid will outperform the LaF. What's not to like about that?

F2003-GA likes this.
  24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    That is the whole point of the new aluminum platform it can be utilized to build either a front engine or mid engine model series. The carbon is reserved for the LaFerrari level cars.

25. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    The gaping hole in your argument is that the million-dollar+ rebodied 812 ( Monza ) you are referring to IS A LIMITED PRODUCTION NUMBER CAR. Those are rare collectors cars. They are going to appreciate over time because of their rarity and that’s why buyers will pay seven figures for them. They are great cars and they are also an investable asset. You’re comparing apples and oranges. IF the F173 was a limited production number car then yes it would easily command $800K or more. But that’s not what this car is and that’s not its mission. It’s mission is to drive universl desire for hybrids among the Ferrari customer base. This is to make hybrids cool. The future of the entire company depends on their customers adopting the hybrid power plants. They want a frenzy over this car so that everyone clamors for a hybrid. They are going to price it a little bit lower than they could in order to ensure that. I stand by this prediction.

F2003-GA and Doug23 like this.