355 Element extinguisher custom mount | FerrariChat

355 Element extinguisher custom mount

Discussion in '348/355' started by watkinsgt, Feb 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Gents, Contemplating mounting an Element fire extinguisher on a spyder between the passenger seat and door sill. To avoid drilling holes the notion is a fabricated bracket slid under the outboard seat rail utilizing existing hardware and holes securing said seat rail to the floor. I have stared at Ricambi diagram 130 and don't see how the seat rail attaches to the floor. Exploratory disassembly always goes badly for me, so I'm appealing to the brain trust: How do the seat rails mount to the floor? Is it reasonable to expect to be able to unfasten seat rail mounting hardware, slide a 1/16" metal sheet under it and reassemble? Many thanks for sharing your expertise.

2. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
  3. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Mark, Thanks for your reply. The solution you identify is a great way to go on manually adjustable seats. Sadly spyder seats, being electric, lack the necessary adjust bar. Hence my quest to mount a bracket under the seat rail. Again. Anyone know?. How is the outboard seat rail released from the floor? Can the seat then be raised or tipped enough to slide a 1/16" bracket under it? Thanks gents.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The element units are small and light. I would velcro it near the parking break handle. You want super quick access if and when you need to use it :)

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    You should be able to easily fit an Element E5o in your door pocket with no mounting of any kind.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    There would be more room onthe back of the seat if spiders come with that pouch

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'll let my car burn to the ground before I play armature firefighter. Insurance will probably total the car anyway. Why risk your safety. And do you really want a 355 with a fire history? Let it burn, take the insurance pay off and buy another.

If you're driving your car and it catches fire chances are by the time you realize it, stop the car, get the fire extinguisher, open the rear deck, get out, and start to try to put the fire out, the damage is already done.

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John, Pete has video of his car on the track when it caught fire and they successfully extinguished it.

I certainly would try with mine.

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Seen the vid but I don't recall. Was that with an onboard extinguisher?

10. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Our 355 has the Element fire extinguisher in the leather pouch next to the parking brake. There was nothing in there when we bought the car, and it's the perfect size for the extinguisher. Win-win?

BTW - what is supposed to be in there??

Dave rocks likes this.
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Later spiders, not sure what year, has a tool there (ratchet wrench) to mechanically move the top should the hydraulic system fail completely.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Put the tool kit in the bonnet and put the extinguisher it it's place :)

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    OK. But that wasn't much of a fire. :)

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Right. Most don't go up like a mushroom cloud

16. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Well said Dave. Most people equate a fire with something out of a Michael Bay film but the reality is that any fire that IN ITS EARLY STAGES is engulfing an engine bay or licking out of the wheel wells is both 1. A rarity 2. Beyond what you would or should ever consider tackling with any type of handheld extinguisher. In those instances your first call should be to the fire fighters and the second to your insurance company.

The absolute most common type of fire starts small and will grow and spread quickly if not contained and extinguished early. This is the domain of the hand held extinguisher and why it is important to have one close at hand. In most cases (especially with a clean agent extinguisher) the damage is small and contained and can be repaired with zero negative affects to the vehicle.

Dave rocks likes this.
  17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'll add, having an extinguisher could save the lift of a passenger. What it somehow the passenger was stuck and could not get out?

Rob - shoot me an email - I need two more of these for my cars :)

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    So true. And if it doesn't....

..by the time you realize your on fire the damage is done.

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Except we have proof from Pete that's not always true

20. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts and experience, this little project ended differently than originally envisioned. The object was an accessible yet unobtrusive fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment. Here's how it ended up. Just as krazykarguy pointed out, the Element E50 extinguisher is a perfect fit for the Spyder Emergency Top Operating Tools Container adjacent to the parking brake. But then, where to locate the (don't leave home without them) emergency top tools? As it happens, an old school hard telephoto lens case is just the ticket. On ebay new, the standard 3 1/8" x 8 /34" 200 mm to 300 mm zoom case works great. Leather on the outside, padded on the inside (no rattles) the case secures under the trunk belt along with your other stuff. You may want to laminate the tools operating instructions and roll 'em up inside as well. You know it's going to be dark and rainy when you need them.

Qavion likes this.