NASCAR 2019 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2019

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Enzojr, Feb 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the multi-colored seat back trick has been around for a long time. it does work on TV, particularly in panning shots.

Phil, glad you had a good time. Daytona 500 is something every car guy should do once.

2. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Overall we really enjoyed our four days at the races. We were thoroughly impressed about the whole event.

The staff we very helpful and enthusiastic.
    The fanzone was far better than I could have imagined.
    The different stadium sponsors put their all into to providing extra entertainment.
    You can take as much food and drink as you like into the stadium.
    You can get a pass out if you want to.
    They now have escalators to get you to the top, essential if you have a dodgy knee like me!

Daytona, it's a 10 out of 10 from us. Well done.

kevfla likes this.
  3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    All the back stretch seats were removed at Texas Motor Speedway a while back as well.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I've put myself in semi-retirement on the NASCAR threads.

IIRC, when they took the DIS backstretch grandstand down, they disassembled it, hauled it
    out to Phoenix and put it back together there. That's a lot of valuable aluminum.

BHW

5. I'll buy it when I see it.... :p

6. Oh. That was many a moon ago......

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I don't think so; Phoenix has lost capacity too (from 55-60k down to about 45k)

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Hmmm, could have sworn I saw that somewhere.

Meh, whatever, doesn't matter.

BHW

9. wizzard

wizzard Karting

Nov 9, 2014
    Those of you that watched the race probably heard a little snippet of one of the great stories to come out of racing. One of heroism, sacrifice, and reward.
    Tiny Lund won the 500 in 1963 in a Ford entered by the Woods brothers. The story of how Lund got into that car nothing short of amazing. In the sports car race at Daytona a few weeks prior to the 500, Marvin Panch, the drive chosen by the Woods to drive their ford in the upcoming 500, was driving a Maserati with a big block Ford v8 which was owned by none other than Briggs Cunningham. The car was said to be nearly undrivable, which Panch demonstraited by crashing the car. The car rolled over and caught fire. Lund, at 6' 5" and 270 lbs (and several other drivers) stopped their cars md race, rushed to the accident and managed to get the car lifted up enough for Panch to be dragged out (by Lund). While trapped in the burning car Panch literally saw his life flash before his eyes. While recovering in the hospital, Panch asked the Woods brothers to put Lund in the car for the 500, resulting in the first Daytona 500 win for everyone involved. As icing on the cake Lund was later awarded the Carnegie Medal for Heroism.
    Who knew that there was that kind of strength of character and respect for fellow competitors in those days?

10. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    One of the stands at Daytona, now partially demolished to make way for bigger/better was named after him. The Lund Tower.

gt4me and of2worlds like this.
  11. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    So the Xfinity series is already using the new 'Supra' and I'm sure the Monster series will follow soon. The question I have is. If a Supra wins the series, does BMW get an honorable mention?

GuyIncognito likes this.
  12. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania

It also happens in Formula 1:

1973 South African Grand Prix - Mike Hailwood dives in twice and finally rescues Clay Regazzoni from his burning car. Is awarded the George Medal.

1976 German Grand Prix - Brett Lunger, Harald Ertl, Guy Edwards and Arturo Merzario help pull Niki Lauda from his fiery crash at the Nurburgring. Granted Lunger and Ertl plowed into the Ferrari through no fault of their own but they still worked together and got him out.

of2worlds and gt4me like this.
  13. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
  14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Saw the last 20 laps at Vegas yesterday.

They've removed tens of thousands of grandstand seats there from the oval Turn 4 area
    on down the main straight. Really noticeable, looks more like a velodrome now, just a
    brown empty hill.

These tracks may no longer be stating record crowds in order to gain sponsors if they're
    shedding seats like this.

BHW

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    decent race at Phoenix yesterday. can someone explain to me the logic of reconfiguring the track so start/finish is now on the exit of Turn 2?

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Homestead moved to March. so not only is it no longer the Championship Weekend track, it gets to compete with other motorsports events in Florida in March such as:

Sebring 12 hours
    St Pete GP
    Gator Nationals
    Daytona SuperCross
    Daytona 200

smooth move, NASCAR.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The last time Homestead tried to go up against Sebring, they did a stand alone Truck race
    down there on the same weekend as the 12 Hours, must have been 1997, and it didn't work
    out so well for them.

100K at Sebring and a couple dozen at Homestead that time and of course we all had a
    good laugh about that.

Perhaps they're seeing the value of having the event at Spring Break time in Miami which is
    only logical. Formula One should have the same idea but they seem to have their sights
    set on October.

BHW

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the people who go to spring break in Miami aren't going to a NASCAR race.

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This is exactly right. I've been to spring break and the last thing I was thinking about was going to a race.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Perhaps, but if they take a page out of John Greenwood's playbook when he was the
    Sebring promoter, they market heavily into the colleges up the eastern seaboard and
    create a happening around it.

Greenwood did exactly this in the mid-70s and Sebring became a Spring Break mecca
    until things got out of hand in 1980.

The audience is built in here as Miami is exploding with Spring Breakers this year. But,
    the Miami Music Week and Ultra, the "things to do" calendar may be full already.

BHW

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #97 BartonWorkman, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  23. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
  24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    holy crap, there's nobody at Bristol. stands look empty...

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Perhaps Bristol ought to adapt the painted seat back approach a-la Daytonner?

Aside from the blaring obvious lack of attendance at a track that used to be packed to
    the rafters, how is it that Kyle Busch's car passed post-race inspection with the rear end
    bashed in the way it was?

It's curious how NASCAR can hand down heavy fines, points deductions, crew chief suspensions,
    etc. etc. if a spoiler is 1/1,000,000th of a centimeter too high or too low, but having a car that is
    damaged the way Busch's was, that's somehow okay. NASCAR's squiggly line per these rules
    continues.

I'd be interested to know how they spin this and how the facility looked to be about 1/8th occupied.

BHW