About to Buy 599 GTB Fiorano | FerrariChat

About to Buy 599 GTB Fiorano

Discussion in '612/599' started by msdesignltd, Feb 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi All,
    Most of my past 15 years on this site have been in the 512 section.
    I have owned 4 TR's and 3 Boxers in the past.

I am currently entertaining the purchase of a 599 GTB.

I have found a few cars that I would be interested in..
    I searched for a thread that posted the difference over the years of production
    In a nutshell, I have a few questions..

1, were the HGTE packages by factory a must have?
    2, was the double clutch throughout the range or introduced mid range of production.
    3, what are some of the pitfalls to look for, other than stickies...???
    4, on the HGTE packages, how much cost did it add to sale price, does it still command a premium.?
    5, what are service intervals and what is cost per service?
    6, are any particular years a better car to have?

any other pertinent advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Michael

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't believe any 599's are DCT, perhaps the GTO as I don't know that model well, but I think not.

Good luck on your search, it's a model I want to add also :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SAFE4NOW and msdesignltd like this.
  3. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hi Michael, I'm new to this section as well after spending years in the 308 section. I have a beautiful '08 599 which I've only had for six months and I have already put 3,000 miles on the car. If you scroll through this section, as I did, you will find most of the answers to your questions. It looks like you are out in L.I., I would recommend Braden for the service.

. Image Unavailable, Please Login

msdesignltd and SAFE4NOW like this.
  4. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    No DCT's in the 599. You'll find that the people who own an HGTE say it's fantastic and raises the value greatly and those that don't say it makes the car drive rougher. It's up to you if it's worth it. Supposedly, leaking shocks are an issue but mine are still ok. Many people are looking for options to have a reasonable option that's aftermarket whether rebuilding or buying a different. Hope this helps

5. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #5 SAFE4NOW, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019

1. "MUST HAVE " not in my opinion , though as noted in other replies, it does make the ride more sporty / stiff , but not unbearable . I think its a matter of personal opinion. If you have the chance, drive both.
    2. No DCT in 599 from the factory that I am aware of.
    3. Sticky Trim, Shocks leaking , Dash leather shrinkage , and try and confirm clutch wear
    4. You can still add the kit , I am not sure you will get your money back when time comes to sell. I've asked a couple wholesalers for their input as well.
    5. Most of the 599 we see do an "oil change / brake flush " one year and then full fluid/filter service every other year.
    6. IMO , finding the options you like with the miles you are happy with , coupled with a car that has been maintained goes a long way regardless of the year.

**** HGTE adds $5,000 to $10,000 more on a wholesale level , PLUS HGTE does add desirability per the Ferrari brokers that I asked.

GL in your search!

S

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The 599 is one of those cars which look much prettier in person than in pictures! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FerrariFinally and msdesignltd like this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Steve pretty much hit it. HGTC is a preference and factory installed only in 2010 and 2011. As a dealer added option it was $42K if you did everything, so not cheap. As a factory option I don't know but believe it was around $30K. A factory HGTC commands a higher price but hard to tell how much since there are so few.

They all have dual plate dry clutches but not a DTC. The engagement is smooth and fast. You won't be disappointed.

There just aren't that many 599s so you don't get infinite choice about options. You aren't likely to find a car that has everything exactly as you want, perfect service records, etc., and if you do you will pay a HUGE premium for it. You pretty much pick a color, shields or not, HGTC or not, and see what you can find. If there are specific options you want like CF upper driving zone you should not those as well. Think "Must Have", "Nice to Have", and divide those by what can be added easily. Look seriously at any car that has the must have options that can not be added and work your way down the list from there. Of course you can search for years and years hoping to find the "perfect" car at a cheap price and as a result never own/drive one, that seams to be popular here ;) but you don't sound like that kind of guy.

msdesignltd and SAFE4NOW like this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All 599s have a twin disc dry clutch, which many confuse with a wet, dual clutch transmission, which no 599, including the GTO, had. The F430 has twin disc clutches, too, and the Sessanta and OTO 612s used the 599's twin disc clutch, gearbox case and Superfast I F1 software.

HGTE packages and upgrades are definitely worth it, and there is not much premium on used 599s for the $30K package, for whatever reason. You will see 07-09s advertised as HGTEs that should be advertised as HGTE upgrades.

Service intervals are a combination of time and mileage, whichever comes first usually. Here are the maintenance schedules. Cost per service depends on what needs to be done, from $500-$2500. Also depends on whether factory dealership or good independent.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, On Youtube there was a description video of 599, I confused double plate with double clutch, Thank you for all replies.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  11. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    Do a proper PPI and pay extra attention to the following problem areas:
    1. Leaking shock absorbers, very expensive to replace.
    2. Tires Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) failures are common, usually wheel sensors with dead batteries.
    3. The dash information screen might flicker, very expensive, but can be sent to a 3rd party for repair.
    4. Check for break wear especially if it is the carbon ceramic type.
    5. Check for clutch wear.
    6. Some cars have their MAF sensors and/or air intake plenum contaminated by engine oil vapor being recycled due to over filling.
    Other than the above, the 599 is an excellent car.
    Regards.

F3RN4ND0 and msdesignltd like this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 599 is an awesome car - a magnificent V12 and a very well sorted chassis.
    HGTE should be a plus but it's not really mandatory; I tracked my car a lot and it was good enough (definitely on another level compared to the 575 I owned before).
    From 2008 the 599 had CCM brakes (they were optional before); the issue with the steel brakes is that they were smaller diameter, not a good idea for a car of this weight... have the wear checked on the CCM discs though, replacing them is expensive...

msdesignltd, of2worlds and SAFE4NOW like this.
  13. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    At 15K on my ‘09 replaced the variator solenoids as oil was seeping through wiring harness onto valve covers. Also had steering rack rebuilt as seals were leaking. No other issues.

msdesignltd likes this.
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    While the 599 design still looks wonderful especially compared to the later F12 the technology has evolved for the chassis and especially for the transmission in the intervening years. Design wise the later FF offers a better transmission (DCT) and more better traction than the older 599. If you can get past the styling; the FF is superior to the older but certainly seductive 599 series.
    If you are still stuck on the 599 then try to find a 2008 or later model year car. There were some engine issues with the earlier cars that some original owners complained about here when the cars were new. Others will simply claim this as nonsense and the various years are all fine...

msdesignltd likes this.
  15. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Michael,

Since I've had the experience of owning an '07 599 then later an '11 599 with factory HGTE option, I unequivocally and without reservations urge you to buy a later '10-'11 with the HGTE option. Everything is so much better with the later HGTE models with manettino settings in 'Sport':
    1) handling is sharper, more directional;
    2) the suspension harshness I felt with the '07 on Pirelli PZeros could jar "teeth fillings loose" (I switched to Michelin SS and its ride became better) yet right now on my '11 HGTE with similar Pirelli tires, they ride about the same as my past '07 on SuperSport tires;
    3) engine exhaust sound coming out of the HGTE has a better sonic quality (louder);
    4) quirks of the earlier detuned Enzo V-12 engine have been remedied with the engine running smoother after cold starts;
    5) faster upshifts / downshifts while using the F1 Superfast transmission's manual paddles. Although the difference may seem insignificant to most drivers (100 ms vs 85 ms), I can actual notice and feel that difference. It's not one of those useless sales promo stuff; it does work indeed.

Switching the manettino to 'Race' makes the HGTE car feel like it's saying "I'm giddy to race whenever you are!". It's a setting that gives the car a "more coordinated driving feel", if I may use that term, as if the car's full potential is now ready at your hands, feet and brain. I suppose an analogy I can make is to an All Star NBA rookie playing in his first All Star game (when set in Sport), then now transformed to a GOAT player playing in the 7th game of the championship (when set in Race)!

In searching for my cars, I hooked up with a legit Ferrari dealer who will not steer you into a car that's been abused but cosmetically looks like it's mint, brand new. They are more forthcoming with truth, have a reputation to uphold and are more sensitive to avoiding any legal implications given their worldwide "deep pockets" institution, which non brand dealers are not. A certified Ferrari car is even better since they carry extra warrantees that are valuable in terms of avoiding unforeseen expenses after the purchase. I should also mention that the later 599's can receive annual factory Ferrari New Power warranties at extra cost (about $6k) up until the car reaches 14 years since its original manufacture date.

Hope the above observations help you in making up your mind. Just ask again should you need further questions. Happy hunting!

16. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

And there is no fix or aftermarket alternative.

17. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    This issue was discussed in several threads, but in this one an owner sent his shocks to be rebuilt and we are waiting for updates.

of2worlds, Ron328 and SAFE4NOW like this.