The Turbo Testarossa Discussion | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Turbo Testarossa Discussion

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MOSS, Feb 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Are you even on the same planet? Have you read anything I said? I did nothing of the sort. Who cares to begin with? You have no clue what you are talking about but some article you read about an old technology Bob Norwood car and now you are the teacher on Turbo TR's.

2. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It doesnt mainly discuss QTR mile times. It specificly states that they timed it rolling from 60 mph to 160mph in 12.8 seconds. Hence the reason I showed a regular Mclaren 720S can go faster than that starting at ZERO to 160mph. Im glad you have now gone down to theories as to the times it would turn if it could hold together. The fact is, it wont hold together, and no, it will never run 9s or 10s.

3. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Ok, do you need a trophy or something for your epic knowledge about your infinite wisdom about the Bob Norwood Turbo Tr? Thanks for the edification and class on it siro_O

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Moderation actions:
    1. MOSS and Jay R have both received site bans until the beginning of March.
    2. MOSS and Jay R have both received 1-month thread reply exclusions from the Testarossa Price Trends thread.
    3. The Turbo Testarossa Discussion has been separated into its own locked thread.
    4. MOSS and Jay R have both received 2-week reply exclusions from the Turbo Testarossa Discussion thread to allow for a more gentle reintroduction to the site.
    5. MOSS and Jay R are both advised to place one another on ignore since they are incapable of having civil interactions with one another either on the board or in private. A repeat of this feud polluting the forum will result in further moderation at an escalated level of response.
    6. The Testarossa Price Trends thread has been reopened. Thank you for your patience.
    7. The Turbo Testarossa Discussion thread has been opened.

Please keep the discourse civil in moving forward. Thank you.

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I feel like I am reading comments from a YouTube video...…………...

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hey, Im a huge fan of a Testarossa Twin Turbo, especially the Koenig. But that doesn't mean I dont understand the cars limitations.

7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It would be so cool to have a 1000hp TR but its sad that theres a risk of snapping parts while enjoying it. Even a 500hp TR would be awesome

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #58 NeuroBeaker, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Follow-up moderation actions:
    1. The ban duration for MOSS has been doubled for trying to circumvent the ban with an attempted re-registration.
    2. The 1-month thread reply exclusion from the Testarossa Price Trends thread for MOSS has been doubled to 2 months for trying to circumvent his ban with an attempted re-registration.
    3. The 2-week thread reply exclusion from the Turbo Testarossa Discussion thread for MOSS has been doubled to 4 weeks for trying to circumvent his ban with an attempted re-registration.

Edit/Update:
    • Following productive email correspondence, these additional measures have been rescinded.

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#59 Bradwilliams, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    True. Lots of VERY aftermarket cars out there which probably ended up being parts cars after they're done being hustled. I think the biggest factor though was the perception of the 80s as "being gaudy, vulgar, gross, etc." and the car definitely screamed what decade it came out of. That's one thing I never understood. I personally only got to experience the tail end of the decade and thought it was fabulous. To this day I am bummed that I didn't get to experience more of it but am glad that I at least got to see it. I spent the entire 90s to today loving the 80s and getting curious stares as to why. 80s has now become the decade of decadence and the springboard into the world that we live in today and is now being remembered fondly. It was the best decade of recent memory.

The TR was NON grata for roughly 20 years. I used to get shamed for my love of the car by anybody who would talk cars with me during that time. The countach was not spared either, people HATED that car during those years as well. The conversation has now done a total 180.

I also think that the trend toward european cars from that time period to now is due to the crap american cars produced in that time period. Every since the late 80s that I can remember, American cars were breadboxes, looked like crap, drove like crap, and were crap. I still have never owned one to this day.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Lotaz like this.
  10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Is your car a different spec than the one in the article?

Just trying to figure out how that car made 1020 on race gas with 24lbs of boost and yours is 1000 on pump and 1400-1500 on race fuel.

Turbo-joe, at 350kph is that turning it nearly 9k rpm or re-geared?

11. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not sure where you are from, but inmo no one ever hated the Countach or Testarossa for that matter.

raysur likes this.
  12. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Didn't matter where I was or who I was talking to. Grew up in the midwest, spent plenty of time in florida, california, and New York. Lots of college kids from all over the country in my fraternity hated both cars as well. In fact, the higher you went up on the ladder to the actual Ferrari owners back then that I knew, the more the disdain. How old are you?

The only car that I ever saw continue to get love no matter the decade was the 355.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Nice, what ratios are you running now?

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sure was not my experience. Not in any way.

raysur and BOKE like this.
  16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    don´t know just now :(
    have several gears to change but what just now is inside I must have a look in my papers in germany, but still during wintertime be in thailand with warm weather :)

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Enjoy the good life;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.
  18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thx :)
    but nothing to do here for mechanical work and it gets lazy for me because I´m still a workaholics. but when I think to the weather at home - better then for me here :) and save gas for heating at home ;)

19. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not my experience at all, and in the 90s I owned a Countach and TR, and I lived in South Florida.

20. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nice! Well it certainly wasn't mine. If I had to put it in a ratio I would say 15 to 20 percent would be in favor of owning one, 80 percent in the camp of the car being too 80s, garish, etc. Got some vintage photos for us? :)

21. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Definitely not my experience. I sure do have pics. Ill see if I can find some.

22. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Also Chris, fast forward to 20:30 and watch the 5th gear hosts unanimously announce the favorite car in disgust. I think that was filmed back in the late 90s early 2000s.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what has this video to do with a turbo testarossa? :(
    but nevertheless: nice video

24. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Whats this got to do with your point? That the public overwhelming despite your claim to the contrary loved the Testarossa, and 3 morons didnt? My favorite Ferrari isnt the Testarossa either, its the F40.

25. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I agree, I'm just saying from my experience this was not the case. Even people who had owned them and moved on to maranellos persuaded me not to get one back in the 90s. That was my experience. I wouldn't call Tiff a moron, but the other two perhaps. The TR has always been a controversial design of a car, although I think as time goes has passed by it is becoming less controversial due to its uniqueness and nostalgia. I saw a doc. on the Rolls silver cloud once and although less controversial, it also went through a dark period after its star fell. You could buy them for nothing back in the day, and many along with myself argue that the cloud is the quintessential Rolls.