TRX Tires 240/55VR415 | FerrariChat

TRX Tires 240/55VR415

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Part Time, Feb 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hello everyone,

Has anyone out there used the Coker Tire TRX tires ? They are currently $421 each and in stock with a date code of 4218, (the 42nd week of 2018). They do have a "-B" molded in the sidewall after the TRX, because Coker has made some changes in both manufacturing detail and in the tire compound, all to build a better tire, they say.

My only comparison is the TRX made by Michelin and sold by Longstone Tyre in the UK at $473 without tax.

There are several mentions of the Longstone units here, but not much about the Coker tires as another replacement.

Thanks, Gary

2. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Hello Gary!
    Maybe I don't get it but Coker Tire doesn't "make" anything.
    Coker just claim "all of the Michelin vintage line is made by Michelin in europe"
    If something has been changed in the manufacturing it has be changed by Michelin. Coker and Longstones TRX are identical.
    At least, from what I understand...

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    There are three thread types TRX/TRX-B/TRX-GT. "TRX-B" is the thread type used in our tires, see https://classic.michelin.com/fr/Gamme-Collection/TRX.

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I agree that Coker does not make "our" Michelin tires or any other tire branded as "Michelin"; they would be swatted like a fly if they did! However, I do believe they actually manufacture tires for the pre-1945 skinny tires for most of the early model cars. Glad to hear about the 'B' designation on treads.
    Ken

5. haudimal

haudimal Rookie

Dec 10, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ralph Bauer
    Do the TRX-B now always have these jagged edges in the profile?

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Michelin is not so picky: first of all bear in mind that they do have registered almost no patent until the late 80's ("secrecy" was the way to go), second I presume they wouldn't mind if some other manufacturers were to support our niche (not so profitable) market. Avon used to make TRX tires and back then Michelin did not complain. Avon is now selling some new TRXs (220/65/VR390), and still no fierce opposition from Michelin. No Avon tires for our cars unfortunately...

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

I suspect the reason for the lack of patents was the actual requirements of the patenting process. For example in order to register a patent the inventor must fully disclose their "secret sauce" as it were as part of their patent. Thus if the "secret sauce" contained some interesting ideas, etc then the competitors could benefit from this disclosure. Hence, this is one reason that a lot of specialty products are not patented.

Cheers,

Sam

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Gary,

I have had nothing but excellent service from Longstone and I found their pricing to be much better than Coker. Adding to this I found the Longstone was more enthusiast than corporate and so it made the whole experience that much better.

Cheers,

Sam

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I buy all my michelins from Longstone as well. Great to deal with!

10. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Coker is a well known US based dealer for Michelin Classic tires, just like Longstone is in the UK and Stuckey Tires in Australia. There is misinformation on the web ( unusual huh!) stating that Coker bought the Michelin TRX molds. Coker don't claim to make the TRX .( but they do make other vintage tyres)

All the Michelin TRX tyres come from the same Michelin plant. Michelin did license their TRX technology to Avon ( and perhaps others) in the 80's /90's. Avon still supply one TRX size to suit the Jag XJ40, probably because it was the OEM fitment.

The TRX "GT" was only made in a 45 series profile and has a different tread pattern to the TRX. The TRX GT will fit a 412 but it reduce the already limited ground clearance to an unacceptable level (first hand experience) .

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    In 81 they licenced (for free) the technology to competitors, just as they did earlier for the radial tire. There is a news article back then that predict that based on this generous donation, all future cars would use TRX... Article in French and low resolution, but so biased that it is quite fun to read.

I just can't find any-more the corresponding specifications, but if memory serves me well the GT has a specific groove, so even if it fits on regular TRX-B rims, it is normally intended to be used on TRX-GT rims.

I am buying my rubber to a local distributor that was offering them for 360€ including 20% VAT and shipping costs... Unfortunately they only ship to France/Belgium/Spain and as of 2019 price has recently raised to 408€, that's still a good deal, but 2018 price was unbeatable. Since last year, quite a few online store are now offering Michelin Collection tires which is very good news.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Ok guys, great info from everyone.....Thanks a bunch !
    What have I learned ?

1. Coker does not manufacture the TRX tires.
    2. Michelin still makes them and uses distributors to sell them, both Coker and Longstone and others.
    3. So both Coker and Longstone companies should be selling the same product.
    4. Or Coker sells the "TRX-B", and Longstone sells the "TRX" ?

I need to buy 4 tires, just trying to understand why the difference in tires, if they both come from the same manufacturing plant.
    They are only about $50 difference in sale price, except VAT of course, but I am leaning toward the Longstone tires.
    I would rather not have the sidewall say "-B" on it.

Gary

13. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    well, that’s the first time I hear about a TRX “B”...
    not totally clear: from Michelin’s website our 240/55 are necessarily TRX-B but I can’t remember something like a B written anywhere on my tyres... Maybe something like a new rubber compound?
    I have just asked on the website let’s see if I get an answer.

14. ONSilver

ONSilver Karting

May 26, 2008
    Oakville, Ontario

Both Coker and Longstone confirm their stock is dated 3817 at present. Question is whether or not to delay buying until fresher dated tires become available?

15. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Here is a Michelin link giving the availability of Michelin Classic Tyres:

https://classic.michelin.com/en/Classic-Tyre-range, then click the yellow colour window called "Tyres - Available - PDF" near the bottom of the page, this will download the PDF file with the current data (as of today the last refresh date is 15 Feb 2019).

raemin likes this.
  16. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Roger.....I did ask Coker about the -B, the tire specs show the description as TRX-B, and when they replied to my question, they stated that yes, the -B is molded into the sidewall to confirm this tire is new & improved.

ONSilver…..Coker sez their date code is 4218, or 42nd week of 2018.

Gary

17. haudimal

haudimal Rookie

Dec 10, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ralph Bauer
  18. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #18 raemin, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    If you look back to the archive in 2017, these tires were already listed as TRX-B (even though the marking on the sidewall was "TRX"). So you normally get the same look (?) On the Michelin classic page, they state that their tires is period correct thread with modern compound, so even if the tires is updated, Michelin selling point is that they keep the vintage look.

As a side note if it were not for the different sizes, TRX/TRX-B do have the same pattern (unlike GT).

I've asked Michelin Classic about the "new" coker tires, no answer yet, but will report back any response from them.

19. haudimal

haudimal Rookie

Dec 10, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ralph Bauer
  20. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    If I understand correctly here are three types of sculpture for TRX tyres: TRX, TRX-B and TRX GT. For the TRX 240/55 415, the sculpture is TRX-B.

21. haudimal

haudimal Rookie

Dec 10, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ralph Bauer
  22. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Just got a response from Julien Papon (Michelin Collection). See abstract. For those who do not read French: this is a brand new tire with new structure and new rubber. They do not recommend to mix these tires with the old tires which is the reason why they have a "new" name. Every distributor will receive this version from now on.

So we can speculate that it's a better tire, and judging by the photo it still looks great. Only downside is that we have to change the whole set, instead of just 2 (as I used to)... I presume this upgrade is the reason why my local distributor was selling non "B" version for so cheap a few months ago.

Interesting: Michelin have re-issued the PB-20 super soft tire whereas they used to offer TB-5 (hard) & TB-15 (medium) only. No idea on the actual rubber used for the TRX-B, but now they have quite a few blend of rubber to play with. For sure a softer TRX would be great. Waiting for the first review!

Le 25/02/2019 à 09:20, Compte-Fonction Pneuretro a écrit :
    >
    > Bonjour Mr,
    >
    > Merci pour votre message.
    >
    > Le TRX-B est bien une évolution du TRX, au niveau de la structure et de la gomme. Il n’est donc pas mixable avec l’ancien TRX.
    > Comme vous pouvez le voir sur notre site, tous les TRX livrés dans cette dimension sont désormais des TRX-B :
    > https://classic.michelin.com/fr/Gamme-Collection/TRX
    > Vous les retrouverez dans cette version quel que soit votre revendeur.>
    > Bien cordialement.
    >
    > Julien PAPON
    > Manufacture Française des pneus Michelin
    > Service des Pneus Collection
    > 36 rue Clos-Four
    > 63 040 Clermont Ferrand
    > http://classic.michelin.com/fr
    > +33 (0)4.73.41.75.00

23. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Thanks to raemin !

Wonderful ! At last, the answer we are looking for.....the "-B" tire IS different, and is the NEW style tire from now on. Better, to be sure, not too much different, but not to be mixed with the old style tire. Good, so now I can order TRX-B tires.

Gary

24. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Aha! just when you thought you knew what was happening Longstone but in to make it more complicated.

This is a picture from my 1979 Michelin book

These are pictures of the 240/55R415 TRX (which is a TRXB) that is on my shelf today. no jagged edge to the tread pattern. you can buy them here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/trx/240-55vr415-michelin-trx.html I buy them direct from Michelin.

This could be the explanation to the difference. from my year 2000 Michelin book. the jaggedy ones are H rated

I have however noticed we have been slapdash with the pictures of our TRX which we will fix, hopefully next week. I will let you know if i find out more. However it is now Friday night, and i'm off to the pub!

25. ONSilver

ONSilver Karting

May 26, 2008
    Oakville, Ontario
    I just received one new TRX for my 412 from Longstone - excellent shipping and service . It is marked B, and made in Serbia, who knew. It will become the new spare (as I wrecked the old spare sidewall when I had a flat even though I stopped asap).

I need 4 more, but despite reassurances about condition, I am reluctant to buy them 'new'' with a date code of 3817. Coker has the same date in stock.

So I think I have to wait - the present tires on the car are still in great shape with a date code of 1408. Comments?

Longstone Tyres and of2worlds like this.