Need help draining old gas from both tanks in situ on my 1980 400i Series 1 | FerrariChat

Need help draining old gas from both tanks in situ on my 1980 400i Series 1

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jacques, Feb 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Need advise on draining old gas from both tanks in situ on my 400i series 1. Thank you so very much in advance. Jq.

2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hello, Jacques !

You have two choices, Plan A, there should be a large hex drain plug facing down out of the middle of the center feeding tank, it comes out right in the middle of the rear crossmember just ahead of where the rear sway bar sits. ( I have never loosened this plug on my car, as I changed the rear rubber fuel hoses a couple of years ago and did a fuel dump at that time. )
    Plan B is remove the rear end of one of the rubber fuel lines leading from the filter screen/fitting at the forward face of the center tank where it goes forward to the electric fuel pump.
    Either one of these methods is guaranteed to dump a large quantity of fuel into a pan or the floor or down your arm and soak your t-shirt.

As far as sucking the fuel out the tanks, a spare electric fuel pump running off a spare battery with a couple of rubber lines could be fed down the fuel inlet or inserted down the fuel gage port under the carpet on the RH main tank would also work.

Although Plans A or B will get more or almost all of the fuel out.

Gary

3. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Thank you Gary!! Your plan "B" seems to afford the most control over the fuel dump flow, doing one side at a time, as I am always reluctant to unscrew such an important bolt that has not been budged in 40 years, especially, since it is pointing straight down possibly precipitating a fuel leak. I have the parts catalog with illustrations and number for each part..For all to know.....these fuel lines("pipes") are found on table 7, parts #50, one for each tank. I am planning to replace all of the fuel-related lines from the filler cap to the engine. Thank you ever so much for your wonderful response. Jq.

4. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I found on my 365 that clamping the fuel line just as it exits the tank, removing the clamped fuel line from the filter and then pushing it through the hole in the floor below the drain plug and I could then control the flow by loosing or closing the fuel hose clamp.

5. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Exceelent...Thank you very much.Jq.

6. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Jacques, two things....Harbor Freight has a set of "hose clamps", that are used to stop the flow of liquid prior to removing the hose, this can be used to halt the flow while you undo the fuel line from tank to pump at the pump end. Put best size clamp on the middle of the hose, remove the pump end and redirect the hose into the fuel container, then slowly release the clamp a bit until you need to replace the container, repeat.
    And remember, the 365 fuel system is different than the 400i .

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gary

7. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Interesting. thanks. Jq.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    For boats, there are some cheap pumps that allow to move gasoline from one tank to another without leaking all the nasty liquid in the water. Making a clean transfer is even part of the exam... The most basic pump works with vacuum/gravity, some more advanced stuff do carry an electric motor (I do not like electric motors when working with gasoline). Any Fuel Oil reseller do stock these pumps (large supermarkets also)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Given that there is no flap in our tanks it is quite easy to introduce the tube in the tank and suck most of the gasoline out of it (modern car is another story). Once you are left with a few gallons maybe you can attempt what other have suggested here (i.e from underneath), in order to reach what's still in the lower part of the car.

These Ferraris can have quite a huge amount of gas when fully loaded, so it's better to work safely, and avoid leaking 118l of dangerous material on the floor. I would even suggest to directly transfer this gasoline into another car. With such pump, you can stop the vacuum, so it's easy to fill a small jerrycan, and precisely stop the suction once the jerrycan is full, then dispose the gasoline in another car and repeat...

9. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Thank you very much. Jq.