Go-around at Gatwick: | FerrariChat

Go-around at Gatwick:

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Feb 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This one looks a bit hairy--

2. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    At least it was not another drone!

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Are all the UK airport runways aligned 90 deg to prevailing winds? Gatwick, Bristol, and where else?

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #4 Gatorrari, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Well, Heathrow's are 09-27, Gatwick's are 08-26 and Manchester's are 05-23. Those are the only ones I'm familiar with, and I don't know how that compares to the prevailing winds.

If you look at old airport diagrams, many had a 3-runway pattern with the runways all at 60-degrees to each other, so pilots never had to land with much of a crosswind. When bigger jets came along, most of those were discarded and multiple runways of the required length were built in the same direction, hopefully in the direction of the prevailing winds, but not always.

At least JFK and SFO still have two pairs of perpendicular runways, and O'Hare has a good pattern at multiple angles. But then consider ATL, LAX and SEA, that all have multiple runways all in the same direction!

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    He could have logged three landings on that one, assuming he made a full stop next attempt.

Jacob Potts and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Among the other airports that I frequent, the ones in south Florida all have east-west runways, though MIA and PBI at least have one additional runway at an angle, which are less commonly used. At MCO (Orlando), however, all the runways run north-south!

PHL has two main runways that run east-west, along with one much shorter north-south runway which is only used occasionally for regional turboprops. DEN has a nice set of multiple perpendicular runways, but they had lots of room available.

LGA has two perpendicular runways of equal length; EWR (Newark) has two main runways that are nearly north-south, and one shorter perpendicular runway which is rarely used.

So there's obviously no consensus, but it seems that most modern jetliner airports have multiple runways that mainly run in the same direction, with other runways that are much less often used.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    At SEA, the stronger wind seldom blows from 270 or 090, it is mostly from roughly NW and SE and some SW.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Looks like he/she is practicing touch-and-go landing haha. The window passengers must have been freaking out with half of them getting a good view straight down the runway lol.

9. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Fort Lauderdale had a crosswind runway, but when it was used there were more noise complaints since those people weren’t used to dealing with the noise.

When I did one of my solo cross country flights I asked Orlando Executive if I could land on the rarely used crosswind runway as the wind was a direct headwind on it. The 3 other planes behind me all asked for it too.

Orlando International was originally McCoy AFB had a long north south runway and a 13/31 4/22. But Herndon is about 6nm directly north of there and had a north south runway too, as well as 2 more like 8/26 and 13/31.
    I can imagine there were issues of planes landing at the wrong spot.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Peter O'Knight Airport on Davis Island in Tampa and MacDill AFB have a runway that are almost in a straight line with one another. There is only a couple miles of water separating them. It resulted in that C17 landing on the wrong one.

I was living in Tampa and frequently was on that island for work at Tampa General Hospital and a bunch of military trucks rushed over to move a lot of stuff out of it...

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Back in 1955, a B-47 flying from MacDill AFB to Dobbins AFB here in Marietta mistakenly attempted to land at what was then NAS Atlanta (today PDK airport). The 3400-foot runway was obviously too short and the aircraft over-ran the runway and was destroyed by fire.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I landed at Pine Castle Air Base in 1945 that became Orlando International, I thought. I have never heard of Mc Coy. We landed on the short 2300 foot east-west runway there. I remember looking along the north-south runway with miles of open space to the south with Florida pines sticking up in spots. There was nothing there then but wide open spaces everywhere you looked. I took a long hot bus ride into town, Orlando, to catch a Trailways bus to my home town, Sarasota, that took longer than my flight from Langley Field, Virginia. That place then was an outpost with no civilization but the air base.

13. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It was Pinecastle first, then McCoy then Orlando International.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks. Time marches on.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In fact, for a time it acted as both an AFB and a commercial airport before the Air Force left.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque is still like that... Kirtland and and The Sunport (ABQ) share runways, still...

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Ditto for Hickam in Honolulu.

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Birmingham can be a bit sporty too!

19. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Sporty... I was looking for the air sick bag on my couch watching that.

Would it not help if the runway was level. Seems rather hilly

20. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    For all you pilot types, in the first video, shouldn't the pilot have pulled up the landing gear by the end of the video? Looks like there were about 20 secs from the time he aborted landing to the end of the vid and the gear was still down.

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Windshear go around most SOP leave gear down until well clear of windshear.