Slammed Ferraris... Good or Bad? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Slammed Ferraris... Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FerrariFR33458, Feb 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This!

A slight drop looks better and is functional for better handling. I did this to the Gransport and it looks better and handles better. Once you pass the point it isn't as functional then that is just stupid. It is the EXACT same as the d-bags that buy Ferraris just to park with the valet = to be seen but not driven. :(

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Google that Jonsibal thing and you will see that those are digital renderings. The Supra is kinda a giveaway.

4. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, it is sacrilege especially that beautiful Testarossa. I'd like to know where you can actually drive a Ferrari lowered like that?

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's not driven low like that; the air bag raises and lowers the car for parking.

(Why you want your car to look broken when parked is beyond me.)

MaurizioAM and DrewH like this.
  6. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    How do airbags affect the handling characteristics? Are they just installed to have the ability to make the car look goofy?

jm2 likes this.
  7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's similar to how a spoiler/wing can affect a car's performance, or not.

- A good spoiler can help a car generate downforce in a good way
    - An aftermarket spoiler can actually slow the car down and make handling worse
    - Or, it's just there to impress other teenagers at Burger King on Cruise Night. At best, it does nothing at all.

For a vehicle that may face wide variations in usage - such as a truck - they can be great. Hauling a heavy load vs none, highway driving vs offroad, etc. Even ease-of-entry can be a plus.

When installed in a car that originally had active suspension, airbags unquestionably make the handling characteristics worse - how the car behaves overall, not just the obvious things like "too much camber = stupid tire wear." But those are minor concerns to the slam enthusiasts... first and foremost, the focus is on appearance. They think it looks great, and discussing performance issues with them is pointless. They don't care.

DrewH and jm2 like this.
  8. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yuck...…..………...

9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    It’s not low enough.

Go LOWER

DGPF, ernie and bernardo66 like this.
  10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If the car is nothing but an artform then why not ? Ferrari has been known for performance historically. Slamming a car is the opposite of performance. But hey why not it's just money.

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Nope, looks like compete crap.

12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    To each their own I guess. You own it you can do whatever you want to it.

Personally I think it looks god awful. Ferrari's generally need a 1 to maybe 1.5" drop from factory settings to sit just right. Max.

Some of these examples are dropped like 6"...goodbye any and all handling characteristics.

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

So.... for the worst 8 months of my life I owned a Range Rover. When the suspension bags failed (big shocker, right?) the car dropped like that when parked. It looked like something from East L.A. in the 80's and drove like a bunny with a pancake on its head.

The car was getting serviced more than being driven and the reams of paper for all my service receipts was comical. The best car 'decision' I ever made in my adult life was to sell/trade (give it away) for a Subaru Outback.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  14. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
  15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Most of those look really badly modded (although I’m sure they intended it that way)...Ill-fitting rims, saggy suspensions, none of it conveys high performance to me, on a car that is synonymous with performance.
    They’re fun in the way a lowrider with hydraulics is....but it seems like such a waste on a performance car. Like trying to make Christie Brinkley look like Phyllis Diller...(or for the younger crowd, making Margot Robbie look like Snooki) ;)

05011994 likes this.
  16. Shurik355

Shurik355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2013
    USA Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Alex Velet
    I personally overall like the look. Well apart from the slammed drop. That's too much with it sitting on the ground like that.
    The wheels though are on spot. They are basically an aggressive remake of the original ones. Those make the car look sharp!

SingleClutch and brookliner7 like this.
  17. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    How low can you go????

19633500GT likes this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    JCR likes this.
  19. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Agree, these are art on wheels...so if you don't like the look, that's fine, some people will say Ferrari's are ugly and Lambo's are beautiful, there's no right or wrong.

However, the air ride is VERY functional, how many of you guys have ridden in properly set up air ride suspensions? By the type of comments so far, I'm going to guess not many.

And let's be honest, no one is racing an old TR or driving a TR for "performance."

DGPF and Shurik355 like this.
  20. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Looks stupid and horrible on any car, let alone a Ferrari, thankfully this “stance” crap has not hit Colorado. Makes that fart can mufflers and huge wings of old look smart... Not only does it look incredibly moronic, it kills any performance that these cars have. Their cars and they can do what they want, but does not stop the rest of us shaking our head and wondering wth they are thinking and laughing at how dumb they have made their car look.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    it takes a better driver. less driver aides, less "understeer" built-in from the factory. I believe a classic Ferrari provides more performance feeling and requires more performance from the driver, the way Ferraris really should me. At homestead my 328 was lapping with and quicker than Calis, 458/488, and 812's.

Jakuzzi, DrewH and 05011994 like this.
  22. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I firmly believe that was partially due to a loose nut behind the wheel. :D

DefunctNeurons and Boomhauer like this.
  23. Shurik355

Shurik355 Formula Junior